Opinion: 2013 GT500 or 2016 GT + supercharge project

Which path would you go?

• 2013 GT500

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • 2016/2017 GT + Supercharger

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

MrCota

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I wanted to apologize in advance if I posted to the wrong place.

I've been "dating" Mustangs for over 1 year now. Growing up overseas (Brazil), Mustangs were my childhood dream car. Now that I live in this great nation of the USA I finally can afford one.

I found a 2013 GT500 black 20th anniversary with red stripes and only 3000 miles. However, they are asking way too much, IMHO. I've been talking to the dealer for over a week now, trying to get the price down.

Today I talked to a friend who drives a 2017 GT and he suggested that I get a used GT (16 or 17) and use the money to put a supercharger on it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you intend to do with it? That is probably the biggest question to answer. Next one is if having the "Shelby" name plate or badge means anything to you.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
You might find this forum to be biased towards GT500s...haha. I'd get the Shelby. S-197s look nicer, I don't want a shit-box MT82 in my car, the Shelby is purpose-built for boost, and you will take less of a depreciation hit on a '14 Shelby vs modding up a GT. But that's just me. What do you plan on doing with the car?

MrCota

What do you intend to do with it? That is probably the biggest question to answer. Next one is if having the "Shelby" name plate or badge means anything to you.

This is going to be my daily car. I work from home and don't have to commute. It would be my main car to drive around. I do not intend to track or drag it by any means. And yes, the Shelby means a lot. Thank you!

96gt02

Established Member
Depends what you want to do, if its a drag race car then the supercharged GT is perfect. If you just want something to drive around town and have fun with and enjoy instant torque then the GT500 is the way to go, plus it holds value way better.

MrCota

You might find this forum to be biased towards GT500s...haha. I'd get the Shelby. S-197s look nicer, I don't want a shit-box MT82 in my car, the Shelby is purpose-built for boost, and you will take less of a depreciation hit on a '14 Shelby vs modding up a GT. But that's just me. What do you plan on doing with the car?

The depreciation of a modding up GT is a very good point. I'm going to do another test drive on the GT500 this afternoon and check other stuff about the car and also try to get a better price out of it.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Not tracking or dragging it...either will be fun and both will be reliable. The Shelby will turn way more heads and sound better. If you end up going GT, just get one that someone has already modded up so you don't lose as much money on the resale.

raustin0017

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. I think after you do some research you will find the GT500 the wise choice.
My 14 has 15,000 miles on it today. If someone offered to trade me for a brand new, zero miles supercharged 2019 GT I would very easily walk away. Two totally different cars. Both are great but the GT500 is the King.

Luckybob2485

Established Member
I just went through this exact same situation. I had a 2017 grabber blue GT with 2,700 miles. I was looking at supercharging mine with a Whipple kit. After I considered the cost of the Whipple kit, install, oil pump gears, clutch, tires, etc, the Shelby was a clear winner. I traded in my GT this past weekend for a 3,000 mile 2014 Shelby gt500. It was more expensive than I wanted to spend, but I don't regret it for one second.

For me, even if I built my GT, I would always still be wanting a 13-14 Shelby gt500.

96gt02

Established Member
and this being posted in the gt500 sub forum you going to get 99% votes for the GT500 LOL

MrCota

I couldn't thank you guys enough for all the feedbacks and inputs. Today I did another test drive on the GT500 and the dealer even allowed me to keep.the car for few hours. I noticed that the mykey speed limit is turned on and I wasn't able to turn it off. After asking the dealer I was told that they only have one key and that probably I would need to ask Ford to reprogram. I don't buy it. I called my Ford dealership and they charge near 500 bucks to reprogram the key . Of course I won't be paying for that if u close the deal.

Talking about price guys. They are asking 53K. After looking at KBB I found that a fair price would be around 46K. Given the low mileage and the mint overall condition of the car I would consider going to 48k tops. Is it a good and fair price for it? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

FJohnny

Established Member
Like Luckybob, I too was faced with this choice.

It was early '15 and I was ready to upgrade my '11 V6 to a man-sized mustang. There were lots of brand new '14 GT's still around and a few '14 GT500's as well. The choice was a tough one. I made the decision based mainly on money.

For about C$40k total, I picked up a new well optioned GT premium and added all the usual suspension mods and a Whipple kit. I still love this car every time I drive it. Looks pretty much like the 500 to the untrained eye. Sounds just like it with the factory quad GT500 mufflers that I added to it and pretty much goes like a GT500. And, unlike so many Shelby owners, I am not at all reluctant to put miles onto it.

The new GT500 would have cost me fully double my total outlay. Sure, depreciation would have been less, but you're depreciating less of a total as well. So, that offsets. And, I tell myself, the $40k extra I would have had to spend could now pretty much buy me a Shelby as it has appreciated greatly over the years.

You can today easily find a super low mileage GT that has everything done to it for about half what they were asking for the Shelby in the ad you referenced. So, you face the same choice as I did back then. What's more important? The money or the name?

I think you can guess my choice.....

Yup, the Shelby!

Good luck with your search and all the best.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I couldn't thank you guys enough for all the feedbacks and inputs. Today I did another test drive on the GT500 and the dealer even allowed me to keep.the car for few hours. I noticed that the mykey speed limit is turned on and I wasn't able to turn it off. After asking the dealer I was told that they only have one key and that probably I would need to ask Ford to reprogram. I don't buy it. I called my Ford dealership and they charge near 500 bucks to reprogram the key . Of course I won't be paying for that if u close the deal.

Talking about price guys. They are asking 53K. After looking at KBB I found that a fair price would be around 46K. Given the low mileage and the mint overall condition of the car I would consider going to 48k tops. Is it a good and fair price for it? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I think there are definitely better deals to be had out there. IMO $46k-48K (as you said) would be a decent deal for both parties.

bllit

Established Member
Well I've had a 2011 gt500 and ordered a new 2013 gt500 and I sold them and went with a 2014 gt and I love the gt with it blown because I drive them also I had alot of problems with the tr6060 trans. If you don't believe me look at my old posts I believe it was bllit11 plus believe it or not the mt-82 has been good to me better than both tr6060 in both the 2011 and the 2013 10,000 mile on each of those. It's your call they are great cars.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

^^This sums it up well. Shelby will do an excellent job of holding its value.

If you plan to drag race it, the GT (especially an auto) will cost far less to go faster.

Users who are viewing this thread