Operation "Hamster Swap" has been initiated..

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
If one hamster = 0.1, and I need 16 hamsters to power a 1.6L 93 Miata engine.....then I'll need two more to power the 1.8 I'm installing this week.

If the replacement engine makes stock power levels, and there is no reason it shouldn't, it will be roughly a 20hp improvement, and more torque under the curve....perfect for getting out of the turns quicker.

That might not sound like a lot in the world of V8's, blowers and turbos....but this is 20% increase to me.

I took second in class in the points last year on my tired as hell 1.6, and hold two class lap records, one at Monticello, and the other at NJMP Thunderbolt.

I'm thinking the increase could make the car the class leader easily.... as long as I drive my ass off.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Very nice miata, what mods are all done to it?

I'm thinking about building up my miata for the track too.

TroyV

Established Member
As of next week, the car as it sits has:

1997 1.8 engine, no A/C, I kept the power steering, cheapo raceland header (no EGR), free flow cat from Flyin Miata, and the Bosal spec miata exhaust. It sounds awful, but the car goes good....or at least it did on the 1.6.

The car is built to the limit of SCCA ITA/COMSCC ST4 rules. It is fully caged, with a fire bottle, fixed seats and Schroth Profi 6pt harnesses. There is a momo wheel. It is small. The front and rear subframes are out of a 2000 model as are the brakes, the tranny, and the diff, which is a torsen and 4:30 final drive. The car rides on JIC FLT A2 coil overs which are adjustable. I have no idea what the spring rates are. The previous owner swapped them around so often the even He has no idea. I set the struts/shocks once two years ago and haven't touched them since. I run CT XP10 pads front and 8's in the rear. I may consider running 12's/10's but i like how the 10's/8's feel..

The car is set up for max static camber at all four corners within the rules.. 2deg in front and 2.5 dg in the rear. It is cross balanced at exactly 50% with me in the drivers seat, and it weighs 2230 with fluids and no driver.

I will never go on track again without having the car I'm driving set up for me. I have held 1.8G steady state in turns on the hoosiers.

It is one of the best set up cars I've ever driven.

I run NT-01/R888/RA1's for practice sessions, and move to Hoosier A's or R's for the time trials.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Troy, is your class based on mod points like TT?
Do you get to stay in the same class with the huge motor you're installing?

TroyV

Established Member
The COM rules are sort of a mix between several other orgs rules.. It most closely resembles the SCCA rules for Solo 1, but the club maintains and debates the rules every year. I like the idea of a points system, but there are so many members entrenched in the current system, including all the BOD members that there is just too much resistance.

There was a new rule allowing any NA Miata from 90-97 to run any engine from 90-97 as long as the engine is not modified internally. I am consummating the rule before someone decides to take it back. :)

Greg... It looks like we are going to do an open format event at SP Shen in August with TCUSA. You are welcome to check the car out then. I promise to have a seat and harness for you. I can't say it will comfy for you. I'm slamming my car into the bowl pretty hard.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I may have to come up to Summit for that myself. I actually wouldn't mind running Shen again. It has probably been about 2 years.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Very cool. Good luck with it and the upcoming season.

Any idea where you car points out in NASA TT? The motor swap would force you to reclass by dyno, but there are probably plenty of predecessors to what you are doing.

-Kevin

TroyV

Established Member
I vaguely remember trying to figure out where it would be. As I recall, it didn't class favorably at all. To be competitive, I'd need to have serious talent, and also have a truck load of luck.....neither of which I typically have in abundance.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Let me tell you about Vinny.....

Look here at TTE-4th place is Vincent Conte.
http://nasaracing.net/NASA_Time_Trial_Points_Final_2010.xls

Now look here at the TTE lap record.
http://nasaracing.net/NASA_Lap_Records_Final_2010.xls

I can't post last years results, but he regularly runs times in with the TTA/TTB group.

He has a supercharged Miata that runs like stink (and vibrates a LOT). Great guy, he even let the other three TTE guys duke it out for year end position because he knew he was a bit of a ringer.

video: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRcs8JHCcgo"]YouTube - Nasa summer breeze TTE fast lap.[/nomedia]

BlackStripes

Established Member
It is cross balanced at exactly 50% with me in the drivers seat, and it weighs 2230 with fluids and no driver.

move to Hoosier A's or R's for the time trials.

After owning 2 miatas, I have to say, there is NOTHING like an extremely light car with GOOD tires!!! Congrats and run some good laps with that little 4-banger!

Let me tell you about Vinny.....

video: YouTube - Nasa summer breeze TTE fast lap.

Holy crap!!! Man, I wish I could see his speedo just to see his speed from turn 5 to 9 :)

Impressive driving and good times!! ! :eek: . Btw, nothing like running behind a car a little faster than yours to turn a fast lap :D

TroyV

Established Member
The new hamsters are running.. I haven't driven the car yet, as I'm still trying to get my new seat installed, but it starts right up, revs quick.. More to follow...

TroyV

Established Member
Bling.gif

TroyV

Established Member
Swap completed.. I drove the car today.. There are definitely a few more hamsters in there.

TroyV

Established Member
I get a kick out of that picture because aside from the chrome bits... the car is so ratty.. I think I may have washed it once or twice in two years.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hamsters are a measure of displacement in this study?
I think someone should put 37 hamsters in there. It would be fun as hell and still relatively light.

That new six speed might be nice too.... if any of this stuff fits.
I know I have seen 5.0 push rod swaps so I was just thinking,:idea: and thought I would drop this bomb in your thread.:p

2011 Mustang 3.7 V6 300+ HP:eek::uh oh:
images

TroyV

Established Member
I know you guys are going to get a laugh out of this, I would be laughing too. Here is the post tune dyno run on a Dyno Dynamics "Heart Breaker" platform.

This is actually a sizeable improvement for me. The torque gain in the low end is just about 20lbft in some spots..

Laugh away....

TroyVMiataHP.gif

Users who are viewing this thread