Only in LA :( Need advice

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
Ok I thought I would be furious but im just bummed out. Just got my brand new wheels put on a couple of weeks ago. I have always been very good when it came to avoiding pot holes, never EVER had rim or tire damage from one. IM driving home from dinner with my girl in the car and we go over a little hill and first thing I see as I reach the top? 2 huge holes in the ground, I said SH*T! and tried to avoid em, managed to avoid one and only one. All I heard was a loud BANG, great I just hit the biggest pot hole in all of California. My face must have been equivalent to a 10 year old who just broke his xbox or something, :(. So i need advice, is there anything I can do to fix this without damaging it ? (see attached pics) I have heard of people fixing it with a heat gun and a rubber mallet but that sounds like a very bad idea to me lol. So before I take to a shop...... Any thoughts? And thank you
IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
Just buy a new one. How do I say this without sounding like an ass...the wheels are cheap enough to replace if you mess it up, they aren't exactly the best quality wheels.

-Eric

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Just buy a new one. How do I say this without sounding like an ass...the wheels are cheap enough to replace if you mess it up, they aren't exactly the best quality wheels.

-Eric

That is exactly how you say it. It would cost more to repair than to replace.

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
blah I suppose your right.. They were gift for xmas , now let me get it replaced without that person noticing..... lol

mustanginky

Established Member
not really, the factory replacement type wheels aren't the best quality. ya i'd just buy a new one and pop it on. they're cheap enough. who knows how much damage is actually done. now you've got a cool garden hose holder though :)

G04cobra

Established Member
A friend of mine had something similar happen a few years ago. He took a picture of the pot hole and his wheel then sent the bill to the city. He got reimbursed for the cost of a new wheel:shrug:.

Last edited:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
A friend of mine had something similar happen a few years ago. He took a picture of the pot hole and his wheel then sent the bill to the city. He got reimbursted for the cost of a new wheel:shrug:.

This

Same thing happen to a friend who rode through a construction zone and got tar all over his car, the city paid for the cleaning bill.

oldmodman

Established Member
A friend of mine had something similar happen a few years ago. He took a picture of the pot hole and his wheel then sent the bill to the city. He got reimbursted for the cost of a new wheel:shrug:.

This is correct. The City of Los Angeles is responsible for damage caused by road condition.
Photograph the pothole. Note the street and address of the pothole. Call the city and have them send you the forms to get reimbursed for the damage to your wheel, tire, chassis, and suspension components. It usually take around six months but you will get a check. Remember that you must provide receipts for all repairs and parts.

Common

Established Member
This is correct. The City of Los Angeles is responsible for damage caused by road condition.
Photograph the pothole. Note the street and address of the pothole. Call the city and have them send you the forms to get reimbursed for the damage to your wheel, tire, chassis, and suspension components. It usually take around six months but you will get a check. Remember that you must provide receipts for all repairs and parts.

I read a report that less than 2 percent of claims are actually paid out by dot's and other departments. In other words, waste of time.....

oldmodman

Established Member
I read a report that less than 2 percent of claims are actually paid out by dot's and other departments. In other words, waste of time.....

I personally got my new, black leather motorcycle jacket replaced when a paint striping truck sprayed me (and about a mile of other people) as I rode by.

And three other people that I have worked with over the years all got their cars repaired by the city after damage suffered from hitting potholes. I think that one of the potholes could have applied for it's own Zip Code. Took time and patience to negotiate the "pot holes" of city government to get paid.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Holy shit you guys must have some huge potholes to do that shit to a wheel.

I laugh when people think they have bad roads.

CA has shit for roads. Half the time i wish they were just dirt so when you get potholes or ruts, you can be a good citizen and just cover them up with more dirt. And CA probably has the biggest budget for road construction and maintenance.

As fr the OP, id just replace that rim. Theyre what, like $120 a piece from americanmuscle?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely just replace it. You do not want to try a repair and risk the strength of that repair when you're doing 65-90mph on the highway, or more. Just be thankful it isn't a $500.+ wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread