On3Performance Turbo Kit

TRBO VNM

If you review Modularspeeds build, he has a manual rack (no powersteering), modified cooling system, no sway bar, no AC, no ABS, etc. He's deleted everything from the car except the essentials. He also went with the smallest turbo size (i went t-76)

So far, I've had to cut my raditor fan to peices so the turbo would fit. Cut apart the bracket for the ABS pump, almost had to delete, for the passenger side wastegate to fit; also delete the ABS pump because the driver side wastegate wouldnt fit. The swaybar mounts hit the downpipe so I had to have a custom one made.

The powersteering lines had to be cut modified and re routed to allow for cold/hot side pipe, and the spyder looking coolant line job ford did had to be heavily modified and cut to fit.

When I called Mike at on3, he simply told me to bend the pipe to make it work. I guess everyone has equipment to bend 10gauge stainless pipe laying around in their garage, oh and welds dont break or stress when bending already bent pipe.

I can post pictures of some of the issues if needed.

Wow, good to know and very sorry for your issues man. :nonono:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Remember fellas!!

If you don't have a clue what your doing when you install a turbo kit then hell no it's not gonna fit. If you get 1 thing out of wack the whole piping job goes to crap!

I had the on3 kit on a 01 cobra. Old style not ff headers, and I only had 1 issue with fitment. Other than that it was all gravy. Keep in mind it was gravy for 8 measly psi not 20+ making 1000hp. That's not what that kit is for, it's for people that want about 550 max. (In my eyes) that would be all you would want with it. If you wanted more you would obviously call Trbo Vnm and get a hellion set up! Haha free advertisement Jason!

Anyhow if your shooting for some good cheap power go for it! If you want a fire breathing monster go elsewhere because by the time you upgrade everything you might as well go with hellion.

Jay

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Wow intersting to know the issues with the install. Yeah ModularSpeed does have absolutely everything delete. I guess I assumed having the oil cooler deleted was all that was basically necessary as far as kit fitment..I guess not.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Glad to hear this I will go custom or helliion. I hope that Hellion will work with my mod fox project TRB VNM :O

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
As soon as my car gets back from dyno I'll snap some pictures.

And as far as the comment goes about "not knowing what your doing", Im pretty sure I do. And the kit only fits one way.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
As soon as my car gets back from dyno I'll snap some pictures.

And as far as the comment goes about "not knowing what your doing", Im pretty sure I do. And the kit only fits one way.

I didn't say that YOU don't know what your doing.

The piping doesn't only go one way sir... When you bolt up hot side piping you will eff yourself quick if you just start tightening stuff up before it's ready. Put all the hot side on loose and tighten it where it needs to be. You may alreay know this, I'm not saying your dumb or even saying I'm better than you. But for everyone that may not know that it may help them in the future.

I can't say one word about the ff on 3 kit because I've never even seen one in person. But the old school kit I've installed and drove it so if anyone has a question about it pm me and I'll hook you up!

Jay

Wildcard

Established Member
But to be fair. If a customer is having a problem putting on the kit and they contact about a fitment issue the answer should not be "go bend the pipe." "Send it back so that we can fix it" or "you are putting it on a wrong way," or even "your car has some extra part that is running in the way" are all more appropriate answers. Telling a customer to fix a pipe that was supposed to work and got hung up on the cars normal accessories led to Mike being banned from the turboforums because of an issue like this. That's not good business if your kit has a problem and you leave the customer to fix a bad design.

Last edited:

sbvert04

Established Member
wow, i havent look at this thread since i posted it, that's not what i was expecting. I figured it would be crap, not split between the group, thanks for the input guys. guess i need to save a little more for the Hellion kit.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I’m not out to bash on3, but these sorts of stories are the reason I went with Hellion. Who seriously tells someone to just bend the pipe because of their poor design? To me that is like saying, “I’ve got your money already so I’m not going to help you now!”

I had some issues with two pipes fitting on my Hellion kit which wound up being my own fault because of the oil pan I used (so I modified the pipes at my own expensive to get them to work), but John and the guys at Hellion went to ridiculous lengths to help me out. They spent a lot of time on the phone with me, John even called me back from the races one weekend, and e-mailing to get it worked out. They even shipped a pipe in question back and forth at their own expense and modified it free of charge when one of them had the wrong flange on it, no questions asked. They never once got rude or irritable, always very nice and professional and so eager to help. I wish everyone would provide their level of customer service. I should note too, that if I had not had the oil-pan on the car that I did, the kit would have fit perfectly. Don’t use a Moroso pan with a Hellion kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread