ON3 twin turbo install question

MRSUPRA

Established Member
As I'm just about done installing my ON3 twin turbo kit, I have a question about how you guys are dealing with wires running by the exhaust manifold. The main wire harness coming off of the positive battery terminal on my car is sandwiched between the frame of the car(and AC line) and the passenger side exhaust manifold. I heat wrapped the exhaust manifold, but I'm worried that will not be good enough and the wired could melt. Anyone else have this problem? Is the heat wrap going to protect the wire? It doesn't look like there is room to maneuver the wiring harness any where else to avoid leaning against the manifold.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I wrapped the wiring harness and the exhaust parts. Haven't had a problem in several thousand miles.

One guy drilled a hole in the shock tower and ran them up through there to stay away from the hot parts.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I wrapped the wiring harness and the exhaust parts. Haven't had a problem in several thousand miles.

One guy drilled a hole in the shock tower and ran them up through there to stay away from the hot parts.

That's good to know. I didn't wrap the harness and don't think I could now without removing the ex manifold.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
On a side note; how are these kits? Fit/finish, install difficulty etc? Are you guys staying with the on3 turbos?

Install is very time consuming to say the least, especially with no help. Definitely fitment issues on the drivers side that need to be "massaged" out
I don't plan on changing anything unless it fails.

JTS_7

Established Member
I ended up cutting certain wires off and running a power distribution block, this allowed me to run the harness how I wanted and keep it away from the heat.

Reason being yes you can take measures (heat wrap harness and pipes) sure that may suffice from them catching fire and even keep them in shape for a bit. But the heat is still absorbed somewhat into the wires over and over again. I've seen people literally run them right next to the downpipe damn near touching it.Eventually they will become brittle and the insulation will crack which will allow moisture to build overtime, I promise you that.

Hell my DEI heat wrap flaked off when I was removing it. The on3 AC line was wrapped in high heat DEI tape and still has become extremely brittle and I had it zip tied far enough away to feel comfortable.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
My car has the power cable/ maxifuse thing bolted to a power post behind the rf strut, out in the wheelwell. Much cooler environment than an inch from the manifold.

rmurer

Established Member
On a side note; how are these kits? Fit/finish, install difficulty etc? Are you guys staying with the on3 turbos?

I've ready a bunch of threads on them. People seem very pleased with the power once everything is installed. The install on the other hand I guess can be very very tedious. Fit is off more often then not. But once all said and done for the price you can't beat the power, its just getting past the install is the problem.

I know my next FI purchase will be with someone other then On3, just ready the stories gets me worried.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
My car has the power cable/ maxifuse thing bolted to a power post behind the rf strut, out in the wheelwell. Much cooler environment than an inch from the manifold.

Not sure if I understand this. How did the cable reach the wheelwell?

Users who are viewing this thread