on3 performance 4v turbo kit

t70cobra

Established Member
Hello everyone I am new here and just thought I would chime in. I bought one of these kits about 2 months ago. I have not installed it yet as I am still waiting on my transmission and a couple other items. I will say this I had the same reservations about buying a cheap (EBAY) kit. I did some research and said the heck with it and I ordered it. I have always ran superchargers and wanted to try a turbo and this would allow me to do so without loosing a load of money if I wasn't thrilled with the way it performed. When the kit arrived I opened everything up inspected it and was blown away. The kit is a hell of a lot more than I expected. It does not appear cheap in any way and is very complete all the way down to the nuts and bolts. If it all works as good as it looks then I would say the kit is worth every penny. I will know soon enough as I expect to have the car finished in January. For the record it is an 87 to 93 kit.

How do the welds look? Could you take a few pictures of the welds on the inside and outside of the pipe maybe near one of the ends and post them before you install? I haven't seen one of these kits up close yet, but my past experience with stuff welded in China is that its typically welded with an incorrect heat range, its not back purged, and they pulse weld over the bad welds to give it a nice stacked dime appearance.

White04GT

Established Member
I'm sorry, but any company that begins thier rationalization for why they haven't fully developed a product for a specific vehicle but are selling it for that car with the comment below is not getting my money.

Check out the ebay link and look at their details for 96-98 Cobras...

"Here is the deal, the next choice going turbo on your car is $6,000+ and this will still allow you to keep on budget."

And if it is only a couple of hours of work as they say why don't they get off of their lazy ass and make it right so the kit bolts on without any special modifications needing to be done.

:lol: I have never heard of a turbo kit that "Bolts right up"...If you think spending $6000+ bucks means your going to get a turbo kit that is going to bolt up without any modifications your in for a surprise buddy..

elcobrita

Established Member
so anybody install it on their 4v yet?? better yet On3 what feedback have you gotten from the 4v customers that have installed the kit? I am so close to firing the trigger on this...

stang8762

Established Member
so anybody install it on their 4v yet?? better yet On3 what feedback have you gotten from the 4v customers that have installed the kit? I am so close to firing the trigger on this...

I would like to know as well i am very interested in the kit .

From What i gather this is what you might need to run about 6psi on a stock motor about 420-450hp:

Suspension about $865.00 from UPR
QA1 kmember
a-arms
upr coil overs
camber plates
bumpsteer kit
rack bushings

Fuel system
42lb or 60lb injectors (incase you want more boost after a upgraded motor) ..$240-$369ish
Mass air ..$228
BAP-250.00 or 03/04 tank $700ish
Safe conservative Tune-$600-$1000

other crap
wideband 02
extra heat wrap (to protect everything underhood from the heat of the hotside and turbo)
air Filter
turbo blanket
30pack of your choice- 25-30bucks or if you like natural ice 11.99

Last edited:

swallent

Established Member
curious

I still dont understand why you need to have the Coil over stuff...cant you just use the K member and your factory Arms/Springs crap?

swallent

Established Member
No. The stock K-member has no place to run the piping.

ok Im not trying to be a jerk...let me elaborate...and I am trying to learn here so bear with me. QA1 sells a K member only kit for like 300 Bux all day long on Ebay. so what Im asking is can I put the k member on and Keep all the stock A arms and stock coils and C&C plates. thats a pretty big savings if you can....so thats what Im asking...can I keep the factory stuff EXCEPT for the KMember.

Last edited:

t70cobra

Established Member
I think the on3 kit is built for tubular a-arms and coilovers. Even with the qa1 kmember, clearance is extremely tight with stock coils. I've build a couple kits with qa1 and stock coils/a-arms and the clearance for a 3" downpipe is literally 1/8"-1/4" off the coil. Too tight imo for mass production tolerances. Also, it makes the kit harder to install. Here's an example:

th_p1070542ms4.jpg

Last edited:

swallent

Established Member
I think the on3 kit is built for tubular a-arms and coilovers. Even with the qa1 kmember, clearance is extremely tight with stock coils. I've build a couple kits with qa1 and stock coils/a-arms and the clearance for a 3" downpipe is literally 1/8"-1/4" off the coil. Too tight imo for mass production tolerances. Also, it makes the kit harder to install. Here's an example:

th_p1070542ms4.jpg

thank you sir!! thats what I was hoping to hear..great info! guess Ill just keep my eyes peeld on the market for a used set.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
I need someone that has bought the 4V kit to chime in, if not I guess I will be the first to get one this spring. One way or another we will see what this kit can do, I have all the stuff to make the power so it's either going to make the power or its going to fail. However when I am ready to order I am going to uprgrade the turbo to a turbonetics.

i have a 4v kit.. still building engine... i was told this was a custom kit... but there is no way.. everything i have is what they sell.. and its for 96-98 4v.. so who knows? all i know is im ready to get my engine built and get this kit on my car... the kits looks great.. great quality.. i was really shocked on the quality.. welds look great!!! If i get my engine done any time soon, ill take some pics of the install.. and give you guys some hp #'s.. with it on my car..

MurderedMach

Established Member
I have been holding off on purchasing this kit for some time, trying to get input after an install from anyone on here about these 4v kits.

Nothing yet.

I will be running one on my Stock shortblock with about 70k miles. I dont plan on pushing it past 7lbs for now.

Im kind of confused about the maf situation. Not just any upgraded MAF will work? It has to be O3P Specific?

03screamingSVT

Established Member
I have been holding off on purchasing this kit for some time, trying to get input after an install from anyone on here about these 4v kits.

Nothing yet.

I will be running one on my Stock shortblock with about 70k miles. I dont plan on pushing it past 7lbs for now.

Im kind of confused about the maf situation. Not just any upgraded MAF will work? It has to be O3P Specific?

Even 7psi will be pushing it as the owners green 99 you see all the photos of just ran 6.4psi and was 435/460. Thats already getting up there for a stock bottom end car. On 9.4 it was 526/550 and the car is bone stock other than the kit with injectors, maf, bap and tune

03screamingSVT

Established Member

Just call and talk with Chad, Im good friends with him and local here. Rode in his 4v car and other mod motor turbo cars, strong setups for both being stock motor cars. I know they have some guys doing the install currently on 96-8 and as well as Mach's. I dont know details but he shoud be able to help out

9BABCobra8

Established Member
Sooo.... On 3 never answered the questions about the 96-98 Cobra set-up. My car is getting a low comp. 98 race motor, clutch, and trans. Built to hold over 20# and hit 8,000+... would gladly bring the car to Ohio for a set-up :)

but first, DOES this kit work on a Griggs K-Member?

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Sooo.... On 3 never answered the questions about the 96-98 Cobra set-up. My car is getting a low comp. 98 race motor, clutch, and trans. Built to hold over 20# and hit 8,000+... would gladly bring the car to Ohio for a set-up :)

but first, DOES this kit work on a Griggs K-Member?

It was only tested to fit perfect on QA1 and Granatelli.

Users who are viewing this thread