? On Focus pumps in cobra

Stalker27

Established Member
I ordered twin focus pumps for my cobra due to one of the stock pumps going out on me. Is there anything special I need to know about or do to make these work? And do u think I'll need a retune since these push more fuel than the stock pumps? Thanx guys

cobracide

Established Member
You will need a tune, drive nice until then. Your car will be running like a rich pig but the tune will fix it. Running rich will foul your plugs and plug the cats eventually, but not big deal just driving to your tuner or what not. Also get a wire upgrade. BTW - Ford GT pumps flow more and are typically the choice.

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
Yeah I kinda figured I would need another tune. No cats to worry about. O/R H with Basanni's. So I'm assuming these are plug & play them? I ordered from
Steve Tousley and he said they come with pigtails. Any special wiring that will need to be done?

SteveFord

Established Member
You will need a modded fpdm to safely run these. I have a set in mine. You will have to cut the stock plugs and splice the wires for the new pig tails.

Stalker27

Established Member
Thanx for all the help guys! Just remembered to say I have a BAP in the car set on 35. Would I still need a modded FPDM or dual FPDM if I already have the BAP?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I really don't see how the fuel tables set in the tune would be effected by switching from oem twin Cobra's to Focus'? last week I went from a single Aviator and Bap to Twin Aviators,04 tank and hat,wire upgrade and BAP now disconnected.. fuel pressure on the gauge is exactly the same from idle to mashing on the throttle with the same tune?
Rob will be doing a revision next week though for more timing and to verify A/F!
And YES get one of Dereks modded single fpdm's!

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah I kinda figured I would need another tune. No cats to worry about. O/R H with Basanni's. So I'm assuming these are plug & play them? I ordered from
Steve Tousley and he said they come with pigtails. Any special wiring that will need to be done?
You'll need to clip off the wiring plug connectors on the stock hat, splice and heat shrink the supplied wiring pigtails together:rockon:

Stalker27

Established Member
I really don't see how the fuel tables set in the tune would be effected by switching from oem twin Cobra's to Focus'? last week I went from a single Aviator and Bap to Twin Aviators,04 tank and hat,wire upgrade and BAP now disconnected.. fuel pressure on the gauge is exactly the same from idle to mashing on the throttle with the same tune?
Rob will be doing a revision next week though for more timing and to verify A/F!
And YES get one of Dereks modded single fpdm's!

Thanx for writing! Now who is Derek that sells the modded FPDM? I looked on Lethal's site and all they carry now is the dual fpdm for $400 so I think not lol

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Last edited:

46stang

Established Member
I ran svt focus pumps for nearly 15,000 miles (out of the 19,000 i have on it now) with no tune change, and a single stock fpdm. I did however run an upgraded power wire to the FPDM as well as down to the top of the hat. I also upgraded the ground wires as well. The focus pump isn't as big of a jump as the GT pumps so imho upgrading the FPDM and altering the tune isn't needed. My car ran perfectly fine and the AF ratio was 11.8 all the way to redline. And just an FYI, the svt pumps and upgraded supply wiring reduced my FPDM duty cycle by 10%.
It can't hurt to get the tune and upgraded FPDM but it isn't mandatory, imho.

SteveFord

Established Member
Derek is an SVTP member his screen name is Black306, if you have ANY fuel system wiring questions HE's your man! his place is West Coast Fords!
Here's an old thread of mine that he participated in, his sig has links to the products he makes... And YES the Modded fpdm's sold by D'Agostino are made by him..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...3-fpdm-bap-wire-upgrade-different-99-01s.html

He's awesome guy to do business with! His fpdm and my bap set at 30%, with my combo and 80# injectors my fpdc is 75-76% at wot with my focus pumps.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
^^^That's an awesomely low duty cycle %, you must be pleased...:rockon:
What RW #'s at that 76% Yeah Derek is a straight shooter, I also installed one of his modded single's with the 8 gauge upgrade yesterday..

Last edited:

Stalker27

Established Member
Turns out I didn't need the pumps afterall. The main feed line hose was off the nipple on the fuel hat. It was completely off but close enough to it that the car would crank and run but not boost. Went to parts store to get another hose clamp since that one was stripped & tightened it down extra tight. Now she's running great again!! Thanx for all the help guys I do appreciate it

cobracide

Established Member
Turns out I didn't need the pumps afterall. The main feed line hose was off the nipple on the fuel hat. It was completely off but close enough to it that the car would crank and run but not boost. Went to parts store to get another hose clamp since that one was stripped & tightened it down extra tight. Now she's running great again!! Thanx for all the help guys I do appreciate it

Hahah that's great! Good fix! It always pays to drop the tank! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread