Old Gas in my 13 GT500

stanger1

Established Member
Group,
Due to an injury, I was not able to drive my car since Mid Sept of 17.
Finally had it out for a quick spin last Saturday. I stayed out of boost, at least tried.
But I am worried that the gas in the tank has been in there since mid August of 17.
Time and Weather did not allow to just drive the old gas out.
So, should I pull the old gas out or just drive it to almost empty, which could be another 2 months due to weather.
Thanks

Tight Lines

Established Member
I was told the only way to get old gas out is to remove the fuel pumps from under the rear seats and siphon it. However, if you stay out of Boost I think you will be ok just driving till you empty it. Your gas is not that old.

raustin0017

Established Member
I would get some Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer and add according to the directions on the bottle. I spent 3-years in Kuwait and my 14 was parked 6 months at a time. Always filled up the tank with 93 octane and added a bit of Sta-Bil just to make me happy. Zero issues.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The gas will be fine, drive it easy and then fill it with the good stuff when you burn off the old fuel.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I usually park my car from early November until late March early May (this year it was almost June) without starting the car...

Never had issues with bad fuel. I ought to use Stabil, but never do.

Run it low as said above, and top it off. Enjoy.

ILW84U

Established Member
Like everyone said, you will be fine if you stay out of boost. If that is an issue I would add octane booster to the old gas.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Add this..
race_gas_104_002.jpg

Kapy

Established Member
5-gal drums are about $65 or, about $10/gal at the pump (if you can find it).
http://www.sunocoracingfuels.com/en/shop
Norton go to Acorn Fuel Supply, you can get Non OXY/Ethanol 91 which is the best option and way cheaper than Sunoco, VP etc. I grew up in Colorado live in Texas now. But I know these guys carry it.

I am only really 60 miles away from the Oklahoma border and the entire state of Oklahoma pumps Non Oxy/Ethanol fuel. I have it made, don't have to buy VP or Sunoco anymore.

Some guys are all about Ethanol, but I am not. It eats up everything plastic or rubber and worse leaves a jelly residue after sitting for just a few months that blocks passages (injectors/Jets). This is why everybody has an issue with their lawnmowers, weedeaters, blowers etc., every year as well.

I still have a lot of carbureted toys and all I can say is that Ethanol is devastating to anything carbureted. Let me know if you end up going there. Below is the address in Colorado Springs and they also have one in Pueblo. I grew up in Pueblo and used their gas in my motorcycles and cars for years.

529 S. Sahwatch
Colorado Springs, CO, 80903
Phone: (719) 634-8874
Hours: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Kapy I've heard that before from guys in your area. Somehow the E85 we have around here doesn't make the black goo and our cars can sit with E85 all winter.
Not sure if it's a local environment phenomenon but I love paying $2 for race gas and the torque from full timing, probably 100hp easy over 91 tuning.
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Norton go to Acorn Fuel Supply, you can get Non OXY/Ethanol 91 which is the best option and way cheaper than Sunoco, VP etc. I grew up in Colorado live in Texas now. But I know these guys carry it.

I am only really 60 miles away from the Oklahoma border and the entire state of Oklahoma pumps Non Oxy/Ethanol fuel. I have it made, don't have to buy VP or Sunoco anymore.

Some guys are all about Ethanol, but I am not. It eats up everything plastic or rubber and worse leaves a jelly residue after sitting for just a few months that blocks passages (injectors/Jets). This is why everybody has an issue with their lawnmowers, weedeaters, blowers etc., every year as well.

I still have a lot of carbureted toys and all I can say is that Ethanol is devastating to anything carbureted. Let me know if you end up going there. Below is the address in Colorado Springs and they also have one in Pueblo. I grew up in Pueblo and used their gas in my motorcycles and cars for years.

529 S. Sahwatch
Colorado Springs, CO, 80903
Phone: (719) 634-8874
Hours: 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thanks, Kapy! With all due respect to J, I'm in your camp regarding ethanol - I prefer pure petroleum products. Unfortunately, my car is tucked in the garage for her long winter nap, but I'll plan to try some of that Non-Oxy 91 when she comes back out.

Kapy

Established Member
Thanks, Kapy! With all due respect to J, I'm in your camp regarding ethanol - I prefer pure petroleum products. Unfortunately, my car is tucked in the garage for her long winter nap, but I'll plan to try some of that Non-Oxy 91 when she comes back out.
I have purchased VP and Sunoco before in 15 gallon drums. I have 4 of them in the garage now and I just bring them and fill them up at the pump. Bought a nice hand fuel pump from Northern Tool and pump my own gas in my garage now...LOL! When you go to Acorn ask them if they have any empty fuel drums you can buy. Preferably 15 gallon because at that point they are fairly easy to move around or transport. Anything more than that, like a 50 gallon drum is way to big and heavy of course when filled.

Kapy

Established Member
Kapy I've heard that before from guys in your area. Somehow the E85 we have around here doesn't make the black goo and our cars can sit with E85 all winter.
Not sure if it's a local environment phenomenon but I love paying $2 for race gas and the torque from full timing, probably 100hp easy over 91 tuning.
-J
Thanks Bimini. Yeah you guys are lucky, the Ethanol down here in Texas is hideous. I rebuilt carbs on a couple of my motorcycles from the day, had them synched and running perfectly. Let them sit for about a month and barely was able to get them to start and when they did they ran very rough. I thought I did something wrong but I am pretty good at rebuilding carbs. My parts counter guy at the local Honda dealer said what kind of gas are you running? I said pump 93. He said that's your problem. I thought he was crazy until he started telling me all the stories of issues at their dealership not only with older carbureted bikes but as well FI. So I bought some Non E/Oxy and instant fix. I was about ready to tear into the carbs again. Since that day I just said no more Ethanol. Really the main problem with ethanol like all alcohol is that it attracts moisture at a higher rate and when our cars or bikes sit for longer than a month that's when problems occur. But hey glad you aren't experiencing this with the E85 up there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread