Ok, so next exhaust choice!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The Ultra-Flows are in. The fit is terrible as one hanger is lower than the other, making them sit cockeyed. I thought they sent the wrong kit, but the numbers check out. So, I have to go to my exhaust guy and have the hangers fixed. This is also causing a problem at the clamps and they are not sealing completely.

Jesus, what a pain in the ass.

I should have just gotten another pair of GT500s. LOL.

I can't give you a 100% report on the sound, because I think they are leaking at the clamps. I will get them fixed tomorrow and report back.

Mike

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Ok, so I am back from the shop. Once we got them up on the lift, it became readily apparent that this is how the mufflers were designed to hang:

DynoMax1.jpg

I don't know if Dynomax thought this would look "cool," or "different," or why they would design this system to hang like this. I am ambivalent. It is different, but does it suck...or is it cool? I can't decide.

So, we got them adjusted and tightened and now they don't leak and they sit evenly in the valence exits (pic sucks, sorry, they are even though):

DynoMax2.jpg

They still are not perfect as I can hear an occasional clunk, or vibration. However, I will let them settle in and see if that goes away. In terms of tone, they are pretty quiet until you stand on them...then they have a ripping type of exhaust note. I would not say it is smooth like the Roush, you can hear pulses. Hard to explain. I will get it on video. Also, they do have an annoying harmonic thing going on at low throttle. It is not a drone, but like blowing over the top of a glass bottle. Since they are straight through and packed, I expect them to need a few weeks to settle in. So, I will give them time and see where they wind up.

I am not thrilled with them, but I don't hate them either. I swear, finding the right combination of exhaust parts for these cars is not easy.

I do, however, like the tips. That might be the best part of the system.

Mike

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
mike here is my car with the just the SW catback and stock H with cats. might be worth checking out man!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfseUA6Ucw&feature=g-upl&context=G230bb40AUAAAAAAADAA"]Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback 2012 Mustang GT - YouTube[/nomedia]

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The guy i bought mine from said the same thing. for me it fit just fine. took some time to get it where i wanted and some adjusting but mine is all good.

exhaust can be goofy.

we just finished installing the full exhaust on the truck this weekend. everytime you tighten one bolt, everything moves.

you just have to play with it, but eventually it all comes together

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
They are already starting to change with a couple of heat cycles. Let's see how they come together. I am tempted to paint the back of them flat black.

Mike

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
that angled look is odd lol. is the sound change good or bad?

I would say for the better. As far as that angled thing goes, I don't know. There was no "need" to do that, so it is clearly for aesthetics. Maybe they are trying for more of an import look? Shit, I don't know. I would prefer they tuck up like normal mufflers. I am leaning more and more towards the flat black header paint route on the back of the mufflers.

Mike

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
If they sound good just have your dude cut them and reposition them?

I could do that. I am really on the fence with these. They sound better from the outside than I thought they would. They do have a little extra-crispiness that I would like to dial out, and they "hoot." By "hoot" I mean they have a resonance that you hear mostly under part throttle acceleration. It is gone at highway speeds, so I would not call it a drone. It is like I said earlier, like blowing on an empty bottle to get it to resonate. I keep thinking....would my resonators cure these issues?

Here are the quick and dirty videos we shot tonight:

Starting and backing up:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6o6G1q7VQg&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=1&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 with Dynomax Ultra-Flow and offroad X-Pipe Startup - YouTube[/nomedia]

Rev-Up:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXWK6lt6fa0&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=2&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 with Dynomax-Ultra Flow and offroad X Rev Up - YouTube[/nomedia]

Slow Drive By:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duh53kLDG28&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=3&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 with Dynomax Ultra-Flow and Offroad X pipe slow drive by - YouTube[/nomedia]

Full acceleration:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81QSMk3iwNY&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=4&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 with Dynomax Ultra-Flow, offroad X pipe takeoff - YouTube[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread