• Go with the 17"

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Go with the 18"

Votes: 50 68.5%

• Total voters

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Ok, here is the photoshopped picture of a Bullitt rim in black on a black cobra. Seeing as how my 2004 Black Cobra arrives this weekend, I want to know what size to go with.

The car is a daily driven car, no real track interest, but want a mean looking street fighter. I am not fond of lowering the car at all, especially in my area. So, can you place a vote and any comments that you feel you would like to.

I am wanting to go with a 315 to a 335 on the rear eventually, I know this entails a 10.5 rim, but what to know what height would work best for my application, and fill out the wheel well the best in everyones opinions. Remember, I am not really looking to lower the car.

Thanks guys.

BlackBullit.jpg

Last edited:

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Thanks 03graygt, keep them coming guys.

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
I would get them in 18's if they are available, and put the BFG Drag Radial in the back 295/30/18

D-Cobra

Established Member
18's will look better. but you will suffer a little with the wheel spin, but not as much as the 19's.

but if you want the best traction, then stick with the 17's.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Those rims are ugly IMO, but if you have to get them, 18's for sure.

AFJsvt

Established Member
I was in the same situation. I went with 18's and SO glad I did. The 18's fit the car perfectly. Replica 2003 chrome in 18x9 & 18x10.5 with 275-35 up front, 295-35 rear. You wont regret it!!!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I think black bullit wheels look great !!!
screw 18"s just to achieve "a look"....
the sidewall is stiffer, and they do NOT! hook as well as 17" or ride as nice as 17" and the handling will not be better if the width is the same.... the car will "feel crisper" in the handling... and may transition slightly quicker.... but at a price....
and the price is harshness
and money the tires are most likely more $$$

I vote 17"..... The look GREAT!!!!!

BTW the wide ones for the back are definitley available in 17" .... don't know about the 18"s

I would not go wider on the back for autocross/open track ..... it induces more understeer than they already have.....
They would be fine on the street though for enhanced hook up..... And of course they would look bad ass and all buisness .... because they are wide!
Jimmy

03cobrarocks

Established Member
D-cobra

I am curious as to how you will suffer more will spin with 18s than 17s please explain I have never heard this

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Re: D-cobra

Originally posted by 03cobrarocks
I am curious as to how you will suffer more will spin with 18s than 17s please explain I have never heard this

OK ... her ya go

In accel mode... given the same contact patch, the 18" are a shorter, IE stiffer sidewall, ........
this makes hook up more difficult, because sidewall flex actually helps hook up....
take a look at typical drag cars and the sidewall is high... quite high.
take a look at Formula one, the sidewalls are short but not to the extreme..... why?.... they have an extremely high power to weight ratio.... they need to be able to "hook" too.

On a top fuel car you have an extremely wide tire, that is also extremely tall, ..... but the wheel diameter is relatively small, thus giving the ample, and forgiving (of shock loading) "wrinklewall" sidewall they are so well known for.... boy do they hook!!!

so we have our 03 cobras....
due to packaging.... handling.... and ride concerns....

we have a compromise .... but a pretty good one
hope that helps a little
Jimmy

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
If you are not going to lower the car, get the 18's to fill that wheel well up more.

Since he says he has "no real track interest", go for the 18's. They look better and who cares about "hook" or sidewall stiffness? It ain't a 10 second car?

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
18's for show, 17's for track..if choosing between the two. Obviously, the best would be a 16 and slap slicks on them when debating about track time. Like it was said previously..all about side wall. I know some ppl that cut a decent 60ft on 18's, but IMO it's still a show size. 18's r also more weight which these cars do not need. I went with chrome 17's for 3 reasons..less weight, better hook, and because all i did was transfer my previous tires on my machine finish wheel to the chromes..money saving at it's finest.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by SolidSnake
If you are not going to lower the car, get the 18's to fill that wheel well up more.

Since he says he has "no real track interest", go for the 18's. They look better and who cares about "hook" or sidewall stiffness? It ain't a 10 second car?

How is the 18 going to fill up the well more? overall diameter is the same... and if you get taller ones than oe .... you give up a little torque multiplication, and clearance.

How can you not be concerned with hook up on a street car with all the street traction variables?

after all it is a high 12 second car.... that is still fast and hard to hook.... on the street.

what exactly is it, ......... that "looks" better about an 18?
If any thing it makes the brakes look smaller:shrug:

Now if you are going with six piston Wilwoods..... ok fine you need them....

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i think 18" wheels look better also. on my '96 cobra i went from 17" to 18" and the ride was not noticably harsher, handling and over all performance was equal. and they hooked identical to my 17's. (i turned identical 2.0 60' times) and they looked much better, and seemed to fit the car better. the price for the looks was just that, price. tires were more expensive (albeit not much more) and so were the rims. when i purchase a set of aftermarket wheels for this car, i will be going with 18 inchers.

Users who are viewing this thread