OK, here's a strange issue for you. Looking for help/suggestions.

coild

Established Member
2004, bone stock Lightning, not raced or abused, 98,800 miles now, bought it 2007 with 19 K on it. Been my daily driver ever since. Don't race it or tow or haul anything. Maintained meticulously . Basically baby it. 2 weeks ago, put it into reverse, and the entire drive train simply jammed, very solid. Felt like I hit a brick wall. Put it into a forward gear and reverse & finally worked. Has happened over 5 times in the last week or so. Can lock up twice while trying to back up. Can't tell if the differential is seizing up, or it its in the tranny. Fluids are fine & no whine from trans or rear end. I mean she just stops and locks up very hard while backing up. Does not happen every time, but is getting worse. So far, putting in in drive and then reverse again will get me out of a parking space. Not sure if I'm loosing reverse in the tranny, or a worn bearing in the diff. Performs perfect in a drive. Getting concerned about a bad tranny or diff. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks so much. She is my baby that I plan on keeping forever.

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Start simple and check the transmission harness isn’t melted somewhere. Then check that the PCM is working correctly. Then check fuse #23 under the hood and make sure that’s ok. That gives power to the transmission circuitry and o2 sensors.

If all that checks out, then start checking for the big ticket items. Transmission and differential.

Users who are viewing this thread