Ok guys tell me the truth about cat delete pipes!

White5.0HH

Established Member
cat deletes you will get louder but since most of the noise goes out the back you are not gonna be
deafened by it. Cant say that for the people around you. My magnaflows dont start screaming till about 2800 rpms i have a 6m so if im driving through the city or a nice residential area i shift before i hit that mark and its nice and quiet.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
[Do you remember how much material you had to remove from the connection ? I used to do this with the old fox body shorty headers and was wondering how bad the new factory 5.0 headers were.

QUOTE=bam2012;13235042]Nice power increase n/a, so I can only assume big increase with f/i. I had the cat deletes before my blower, BBK cat deletes and BBK after x-pipe. Fitment wasn't good, but I filed the connection down until it sealed and used gasket maker to make sure it never leaks. I check it every few weeks and after 10k plus miles it still doesn't leak.
gt500 with headers and no cats should sound mean. I have offroad x, jpc over axle pipes, no resonators and gt500.
[/QUOTE]

I had both pieces off the car and just continued to file a little off at a time until the surfaces matted perfectly. It was all done by hand with a file so really not that much, but enough that it was leaking before I did it.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
being a 12 model year and in DE the end of the first 5 years you just mail in the form to extend for 2 years.. so 7-8 years before you actually have to go through inspection.. And DE does not do a sniffer test on 98 and newer vehicles just scans the obd port for fault codes.. And no code.. no light.. no fail!
do an off road mid pipe ond don't look back, and the smell is only bad when heater is on, and windows are down at a stop!

This.

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
I personally do not like the delete pipes. I have had the bbk ones and had to file and play with them to seal. I also had the steeda ones had to do the same on them also. Every time you take them off you will need to play with them all over again. I would recommend buying an offroad x and just drop the whole thing everytime you want to go back stock. It sounds like a pain but it is easier than dealing with the stupid delete pipes.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Looking at the lethal offroad x pipe it has oxygen sensor attachments in the same area as stock cats. Why would I need an updated tune if Im going to re use the oxygen sensors? Is it to turn off the cat overheat mode , or something else?

Need4speed2345

Established Member
My only complaint is that I smell unburnt gas on decel upon coming to a complete stop. Now if I had emissions I am sure it would annoy me having to reinstall them when I needed to do smog check.

Need4speed2345

Established Member
Looking at the lethal offroad x pipe it has oxygen sensor attachments in the same area as stock cats. Why would I need an updated tune if Im going to re use the oxygen sensors? Is it to turn off the cat overheat mode , or something else?

Yes to turn off the rear sensors. If not you will more than likely get a CED and car will run rich or poorly.

steveofiveo

Established Member
When you take off the cats, how does the ball end on the header look ? Usually it's necked down and definitely a restriction. I've had to modify/grind down the ball end on my old fox bodies to match the socket pipe.

Do you guys think there is any power there by removing the restiction ?

CorDog009

Established Member
My BBK cat deletes didn't fit well at the stock H-pipe. I think the flanges were too big for the stock pipe...wouldn't seal, so I just welded them up and called it a day.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have kooks new super street shortys so its just flange to flange with a metal gasket In Between. No ball set up it will make a great seal!

Need4speed2345

Established Member
I took my h-pipe (MAC) and that shitty sleeve to a local muffler shop. He coated the sleeve in some sort of clear shit that hardens when heat is applied. (He claimed he has sealed manifold cracks with it)
He then inserted the sleeve into my drivers side H and used his machine to expand it so it wouldn't come out nor would any exhaust leak out around it. I bolted it back up and not a single leak.

Users who are viewing this thread