Ok guys tell me the truth about cat delete pipes!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
At some point I know i will eventually blow out my cats at my power level. I know if i do this next i will need tune update. Will my exhaust be alot louder. Will there be the smell of exhaust all around? I have kook's super street headers so changing back and forth is a snap. Is there and increase in power removing the cats. Also i have a bassani after cat x pipe and my cat pipes are welded to it, does this present an issue for cat delete pipes? Also which is the best brand of cat delete pipes?

Last edited:

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
At some point I know i will eventually blow out my cats at my power level. I know if i do this next i will need tune update. Will my exhaust be alot louder.yes Will there be the smell of exhaust all around? yes I have kook's super street headers so changing back and forth is a snap. Is there and increase in power removing the cats.Oh yeah! Also i have a bassani after cat x pipe and my cat pipes are welded to it, does this present an issue for cat delete pipes?yes Also which is the best brand of cat delete pipes?

Why not get an ORX instead of cat delete pipes?

Vic2186

Established Member
Steeda and jegs are good..they are worth some ponies for sure on a boosted car..I say go for it

Laztug

Established Member
It will defiantly free up some hp!
Go with the cat deletes, no point in replacing your aftermarket midpipe.
I have no problems with exhaust smell inside the car. Recirculate :beer:*above max ac*
th_IMG_20120917_132459.jpg

jasonc32amg

Established Member
I just added the Steeda delete pipes today, along with intake and boss manifold, and I don't smell any gas. Being blown your motor will thank you for dropping the cats.

dead man walkin

Established Member
Most tests on N/A cars show 15 to 20 HP just by pulling the cats, I thought the fuel smell was going to be really bad, and actually my cats smell worse! The dead skunk smell from the cats is worse than sometimes smelling like a race car!!! My exhaust guy said the ford cats are known for clogging

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice power increase n/a, so I can only assume big increase with f/i. I had the cat deletes before my blower, BBK cat deletes and BBK after x-pipe. Fitment wasn't good, but I filed the connection down until it sealed and used gasket maker to make sure it never leaks. I check it every few weeks and after 10k plus miles it still doesn't leak.
gt500 with headers and no cats should sound mean. I have offroad x, jpc over axle pipes, no resonators and gt500.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
The deletes are my only exhaust mod and it did bring up the sound, but only slightly. I can still leave the house and not wake up the neighbors. I do get a nice smell outside the car if I get out right after startup, but its like an air freshener to me. :thumbsup:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Are there high flow catted off road x pipes who's cats can withstand the power without blowing out? Seems to me that if i can get the high flow along with the exhaust filtration, that would be a win win! This car will eventually have to go through inspection!

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think your best bet is to run cat delete and switch to cats when you get inspection. I don't believe any cats will hold up to the 600+ you are putting down.

steveofiveo

Established Member
[Do you remember how much material you had to remove from the connection ? I used to do this with the old fox body shorty headers and was wondering how bad the new factory 5.0 headers were.

QUOTE=bam2012;13235042]Nice power increase n/a, so I can only assume big increase with f/i. I had the cat deletes before my blower, BBK cat deletes and BBK after x-pipe. Fitment wasn't good, but I filed the connection down until it sealed and used gasket maker to make sure it never leaks. I check it every few weeks and after 10k plus miles it still doesn't leak.
gt500 with headers and no cats should sound mean. I have offroad x, jpc over axle pipes, no resonators and gt500.[/QUOTE]

burke985

Established Member
I love the smell i dont know what id do with out it , you get used to it and then you look for it.:-D

01GTB

Established Member
Some are worse than others. On my 01 Mustang (long-tubes, off-road X and dyno-tuned by a very reputable SVT tuner) it stinks! Really bad. My friend has the exact same car and mods with a Diablo tune he ordered, just giving them his mod list. His smells nowhere near as bad. If I drove it more often I'd have to do something about it. Every now an then you run across one of those old vehicles on the road that will nearly make you sick. The smell permeates everything. I'm pretty sure that is what mine would smell like to everyone else.

On the plus side, mines faster :)

stang8psi

Established Member
Are there high flow catted off road x pipes who's cats can withstand the power without blowing out? Seems to me that if i can get the high flow along with the exhaust filtration, that would be a win win! This car will eventually have to go through inspection!

being a 12 model year and in DE the end of the first 5 years you just mail in the form to extend for 2 years.. so 7-8 years before you actually have to go through inspection.. And DE does not do a sniffer test on 98 and newer vehicles just scans the obd port for fault codes.. And no code.. no light.. no fail!
do an off road mid pipe ond don't look back, and the smell is only bad when heater is on, and windows are down at a stop!

Users who are viewing this thread