Ok Guys Hellion Or Hp?

danny03cobra

Established Member
Dont know what kit to get, i want to hear what you guys have to say. If you have aither one give me some feedback. Thanks

TRBO VNM

as stated, what are your plans?

ok, you want to go turbo, that is a start, but.....

do you have a peak power level you are shooting for?
daily driving the car?
road race, drag race, autox?
do you have anything specific you want in your kit, such as....
pipe material?
blow thru MAF or draw thru?
BOV's venting to atmostphere or recirculating into the system?
What supporting mods do you already have? fuel, suspension, drivetrain, IRS?
Do you care how fast or slow you get the kit after paying?

obviously I am biased, so if you have questions in regards to Hellion, let me know. I should be able to answer anything. And it isn't on their site yet, but they are offering all the 99/01 parts now so you don't have to go searching around.

I am sure some hp guys will chime in, smashheadcat, where are you. :)

aside from that, I suggest researching both kits, asking certain questions and that should help you make your decision. couple things about the hellion

-kits are in stock and ready to ship within a few days after payment
-lifetime warranty on piping(all stainless steel), which is made at bassani, by bassani
-unconditional warranty on turbo(1yr), trust me, this is fact. I put the warranty to the test.
-easy installation
-upgradeable to full Maximum Motorsports front suspension, best on the market.
-less piping than twins, less to go wrong and maintain.
-great customer service...almost 24/7 with me.

03SBSVT

Banned
hellion 76 or HPP twin 67. Only go HP if you want to recieve half the parts you paid for, and in the end still have a shitty system that doesn't work right.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
03SBSVT said:
hellion 76 or HPP twin 67. Only go HP if you want to recieve half the parts you paid for, and in the end still have a shitty system that doesn't work right.

are most people happy with the ball bearing hellion t76 single? and how much price difference is between that and the hpp kit?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I got rid of my Twin HP 57's, and went kenne bell with spray. I'm buying a hellion kit about mid summer. I loved my hp kit, but it was too much maintenance. I'd rather a higher mounted single turbo. No drain back that is SOOOOOOOOOOO familiar with the HP kits.

TRBO VNM

03cobrarocks said:
are most people happy with the ball bearing hellion t76 single? and how much price difference is between that and the hpp kit?

so far all my customers and everyone I have talked to have been very happy with the hellion. I get minimal calls during install due to any issues they encounter if any.

the HPP kit is more expensive. a price sheet was posted on the other board. I know the ball bearing upgrade is like $750 per turbo, but that could also depend on the size turbo. I would check out that thread or call them. I think I know about the cost for the HPP, but I won't speculate since I am not 100% sure.

TRBO VNM

danny03cobra said:
hey guys do turbos affect reliability?

my car is a daily driver.

not if it is tuned right and you are disciplined.

meaning, safe tune and on the street you keep the boost reasonable and not try to push it to the edge.

Example: I had 10k miles on my turbo setup and compression checked great. I ran mid 11 a/f and 16-17 degrees of timing on the street and track. I ran no more than 15# on the street, but usually kept it at 10-12#. at the track I would up the boost and add higher octane fuel.

I probably could have gone at least another 30k miles before even having to consider an engine build.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
so far all my customers and everyone I have talked to have been very happy with the hellion. I get minimal calls during install due to any issues they encounter if any.

the HPP kit is more expensive. a price sheet was posted on the other board. I know the ball bearing upgrade is like $750 per turbo, but that could also depend on the size turbo. I would check out that thread or call them. I think I know about the cost for the HPP, but I won't speculate since I am not 100% sure.

hmmm... well I live really close to hpp so it makes getting their kit easy and convient,but I do not want a dyno queen! I have seen people run pretty good times with the ball bearing t76 hellion. as for the hpp the only person I have seen run it at the track is manny.

shoot I dunno. I am just afraid to get the ball bearing hellion t76 and not think its enough :bored: ... what is that turbo rated at anyway 25 psi? 30 psi? if it can go to 30 psi I might just have to get it.... with a built motor of course :p

Last edited:

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
0mineralgrey3 said:
I got rid of my Twin HP 57's, and went kenne bell with spray. I'm buying a hellion kit about mid summer. I loved my hp kit, but it was too much maintenance. I'd rather a higher mounted single turbo. No drain back that is SOOOOOOOOOOO familiar with the HP kits.
I now have the drain back issue! I think i am going to switch the hellion y2k kit.

baldNittos04

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
not if it is tuned right and you are disciplined.

meaning, safe tune and on the street you keep the boost reasonable and not try to push it to the edge.

Example: I had 10k miles on my turbo setup and compression checked great. I ran mid 11 a/f and 16-17 degrees of timing on the street and track. I ran no more than 15# on the street, but usually kept it at 10-12#. at the track I would up the boost and add higher octane fuel.

I probably could have gone at least another 30k miles before even having to consider an engine build.

its pretty hard to be disciplined. If I had a single I would be on the brakes or at WOT :D. I already have way too much fun

I would build up the bottom end first if I was going the turbo route. Seems like you are just on borrowed time with the stocker especially running some decent boost on pump gas. I know engines have held together with 900bhp but it's inevitable for a daily driver
Probably why I wont be going single for a while. :(

TRBO VNM

03cobrarocks said:
hmmm... well I live really close to hpp so it makes getting their kit easy and convient,but I do not want a dyno queen! I have seen people run pretty good times with the ball bearing t76 hellion. as for the hpp the only person I have seen run it at the track is manny.

shoot I dunno. I am just afraid to get the ball bearing hellion t76 and not think its enough :bored: ... what is that turbo rated at anyway 25 psi? 30 psi? if it can go to 30 psi I might just have to get it.... with a built motor of course :p

it isn't the boost you should go by. the 76 will push over 40#, but you won't see that on our cars. What you should look for is the power rating. which is 950 crank on the 76. then whatever boost it takes to make that is what it will make for your combo. for any turbo, they can only flow so much. at what boost level do you push it to max it out? all depends on the application.

that being said, the 76 has made that power between 25-27# on these cars.

Chini, sorry to hear about the drainback. why go for the 88? you will need to spin the motor to 7500 to utilize that turbo. for a 6 speed weekly driver the 88 would not perform how that person wants it to. if it was a track car or if you are doing a lot of street racing and have a built motor, fine. But it isn't something that you can really enjoy as a daily driver.

you need to pick the kit that is right for your setup and goals for the car.

TRBO VNM

baldNittos04 said:
its pretty hard to be disciplined. If I had a single I would be on the brakes or at WOT :D. I already have way too much fun

I would build up the bottom end first if I was going the turbo route. Seems like you are just on borrowed time with the stocker especially running some decent boost on pump gas. I know engines have held together with 900bhp but it's inevitable for a daily driver
Probably why I wont be going single for a while. :(

totally understand and not a bad thing to build the motor first.

if you have no discipline, just be ready to build a motor.

jugsreturn

Established Member
Why not consider TurboHorsepower?

They don't seem to have the problem of drainback issues and looks like all the parts you'll need are supplied in the kit. Just a thought if you really wanna go twins. Might be a little more pricey, but you usually get what you pay for.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
03SBSVT said:
Only go HP if you want to recieve half the parts you paid for, and in the end still have a shitty system that doesn't work right.

I got all of my parts and I'm pretty sure you don't have a chance if you want to compare power potential.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have the HP twin turbo kit and I really love it. I don't have a drainback issue (i fixed it) and my kit requires zero maintenance. There isn't much piping. After the intial dyno pulls, I retorqued all the clamps and never had to touch it since.

Some people have had problems with HP and I cannot speak for them. For me, once I figured out where all the pipes went, the install was a breeze and everything fit perfect. When I ran the car the first time, I had an oil drainback issue. HP was very helpful and we got the issue fixed with a $17 oil restrictor, which they offered to pay for. With that small setback remedied, I tuned the car up and never had a single issue with it. It's been on my car for over a year now and it still kicks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread