Ok finally got a dyno, now questions

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Only drivetrain mods are: Forged internals .20 bore, Mac Catback, 3:73's, K&N, No tuner. Not really performance gainers :rolling:

It dynoed 249hp, 258tq SAE.

Now for my questions..

Concerned about my A/F ratio, it's running flat 15, isn't that a bit high?

I used Dynojet Run Viewer 7. Is there a better program to view the files?

What is Smoothing? It lists details but it changes hp/tq figures

Smoothing lets you to show six different levels of
detail in the graph
. Level zero shows the most detail
while level five shows the least detail. Level five is the
default setting.

Also, the run was based off of 4500ft elevation, would that affect anything? Our elevation is close to 400ft

How do I get

And last, I would assume forged internals drop the hp levels but do they have an average loss?

I am a dyno newb but what to know more about it.

tomsdyno.jpg

and video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNnCcl3PQgA"]YouTube - sloppy mechanics fall oct 25th 2009 dyno day toms mustang cobra dyno[/ame]

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
forged internals are heavier than stock..

whats compression on engine?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
You say you have forged internals and .020 over, but is it low compression now? That would definately matter.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
ok, considering you added a heavier rotating assembly which is harder to turn and made no other mods such as PSRI, cams, worked heads, deletes, its not a surprise you may be down on power

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
was the o2 test taken at the tailpipe or manifold? do you have cats? if you have cats and measured at the tailpipe of course it will read its lean

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
ok, considering you added a heavier rotating assembly which is harder to turn and made no other mods such as PSRI, cams, worked heads, deletes, its not a surprise you may be down on power
Not really surprised, just wanted to know a figure of loss
was the o2 test taken at the tailpipe or manifold? do you have cats? if you have cats and measured at the tailpipe of course it will read its lean

That would make sense then, I have cats and the reading was at the pipes

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I think the elevation plays a factor. Cars make less power at higher altitudes... BUT, I'm not sure when it comes to the dyno world.

That is about what these cars dyno stock, however.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The a/f is very lean, don't beat on it until you get that fixed or you'll melt the pistons. Even when taken at the tailpipe it should be that damn high.

Those numbers are very, very low and the forged internals may reduce power by a couple hp, if any at all. In stock from these dyno in the 265 range.

What do you mean by "based off a 4500ft elevation?" Factoring takes into consideration the temp, barometric pressure and humidity and provides a standard number. With that, regardless of altitude and temp the dyno numbers, after factoring, should be the same.

Smoothing is just that, it smooths out the graph, #1 smooths a little, #5 smooths a lot. Without smoothing the graph would have a lot of spikes, both high and low.

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
The a/f is very lean, don't beat on it until you get that fixed or you'll melt the pistons. Even when taken at the tailpipe it should be that damn high.
Those numbers are very, very low and the forged internals may reduce power by a couple hp, if any at all. In stock from these dyno in the 265 range.

Hmm, I'd have to get a tuner to change the mixture right? I didn't expect such a drastic change in A/F from just the .20 bore and internals, unless the typical oil getting sucked in the intake from the pcv can change anything.

The engine temps are average from testing different spots, can't get a better reading from the piston chamber though

These as in stock, or no mods with forged internals? I've seen some stock dynos as low as 260 but nothing as low as mine

What do you mean by "based off a 4500ft elevation?" Factoring takes into consideration the temp, barometric pressure and humidity and provides a standard number. With that, regardless of altitude and temp the dyno numbers, after factoring, should be the same.

Smoothing is just that, it smooths out the graph, #1 smooths a little, #5 smooths a lot. Without smoothing the graph would have a lot of spikes, both high and low.

It was set on the dyno, just didn't know if it played a correcting number factor

Thanks for the smoothing explanation :thumbsup:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I think the low numbers are because the car could benefit from a tune, I bet with that it will give you better numbers than stock and adjust for the lean condition.

Also you say you have a Mac catback, is you still have the stock cats they are prob old and worn out, did you clean up the secondary intake from carbon build up when you built the bottom end or just leave it alone, I would hope you did but if not that will also rob power. Do you have any codes at all?

Also maybe you are not getting enough fuel and that could also be part of the issue with the lean condition. Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter and did you have fresh gas in it when you put it on the dyno?

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Time for Nitrous Tom. :) or a blower..
Well I was thinking turbo, but a C5 Z06 seems the wiser choice considering what I want out of a car
typical oil getting sucked in the intake from the pcv can change anything.

what are you talking about here
Everything runs fine, new plugs, pumps etc, only problem I have is the excessive oil since I don't got a oil separator
I think the low numbers are because the car could benefit from a tune, I bet with that it will give you better numbers than stock and adjust for the lean condition.

Also you say you have a Mac catback, is you still have the stock cats they are prob old and worn out, did you clean up the secondary intake from carbon build up when you built the bottom end or just leave it alone, I would hope you did but if not that will also rob power. Do you have any codes at all?

Also maybe you are not getting enough fuel and that could also be part of the issue with the lean condition. Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter and did you have fresh gas in it when you put it on the dyno?
Stock cats, thanks for bring that up, wouldn't doubt they are kind of shitty right now

No codes, When I put the engine back together I cleaned the intake and imrcs

Fuel system is great, pressure is good, alost everything is been replaced

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I know you cleaned the intake and IMRC but when you say intake are you talking about the intake itseld of the actual secondary port and valve that contained in the head that lead into the cylinder, thats what I am refering too, not the intake itself that sits on top of the IMRC;s

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I know you cleaned the intake and IMRC but when you say intake are you talking about the intake itseld of the actual secondary port and valve that contained in the head that lead into the cylinder, thats what I am refering too, not the intake itself that sits on top of the IMRC;s

In the head? No since I couldn't get in there unless I tore it apart

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
off topic i know (sorry op) but would a shortrunner and imrc delete make a car run more lean or rich? na's lean comment got me nervous. i don't want to mess up my car.

Users who are viewing this thread