Oil switch

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I checked my oil at a meet and my oil level was below the second dot! This car eats oil. Anyways, we were at a Costco so I bought some Mobile1 full synthetic(only one they carried in my weight). I had to put in 1.5 quarts. I get free oil changes at the dealership where I bought the car and they will only use a synthetic blend. I've heard that you don't want to go backwards when you put in full synthetic :shrug: Any help would be nice.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Yo can swap to full synthetic and back to straight conventional as often as you want. It's even more true of a newer, low mileage engine with fresh seals throughout.

Don't worry about it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Change to a true synthetic in a 10W-30

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 or Royal Purple HPS

Your oil consumption will be reduced by at least 50%

I am not comfortable with that prediction.

Most oil consumption issues these days are a result of the actual individual pieces of equipment not the volatility of an oil.

There are a LOT of current engine designs from multiple different manufacturers that are having oil consumption issues using virtually any oil.

Low tension, low drag rings + coke deposits in higher mileage units(40,000+)= high oil consumption.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
I am not comfortable with that prediction.

Most oil consumption issues these days are a result of the actual individual pieces of equipment not the volatility of an oil.

There are a LOT of current engine designs from multiple different manufacturers that are having oil consumption issues using virtually any oil.

Low tension, low drag rings + coke deposits in higher mileage units(40,000+)= high oil consumption.

^ I think you're right on the money.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
^ I think you're right on the money.

Even mediocre mid pack oils today are WAY better than they were even just 10 or 15 years ago.

It's nice to have the choices that we have from some very capable oils today.
Even the chemistry restricted API oils are incredibly improved over the stuff we had back in the 70s and 80s.

Obviously there are still some bargain brand oils that will offer rather marginal results, so "you get what you pay for" still very much rings true with today's oils choices.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy,

a few guys having problems with oil consumption in this engine reported half the oil consumption using a sub 6% NOACK fluid compared to the 13% formulation they were using previously.

I agree it's a piston ring error, but anything helps.

Users who are viewing this thread