Oil smell and smoke on start-up

286rocks

Established Member
Hey all, forgive my ignorance but I recently just picked up my dream car (01 Cobra) and I've noticed that every once in a while I will get a small plume of smoke out of the exhaust followed by a strong smell of oil when I first start it up after sitting for a night. Its happened maybe twice since I've had it, over the course of 3 months or so, and seems to be only when I've gotton on it a bit before I parked it.

This is my first 4v so I'm not sure it this is a normal thing or not, but I'm guessing it's excess oil being sucked through the PCV and pooling in the intake after the car is shutdown. I run 7 quarts of synthetic 5w 30 which I'm hoping is the reason why it seems to do it, but I can't really be sure.

The car is completely stock all the way to the paper air filter and only has 65k on it. I'm just thinking of starting with maybe a little catch can setup to see if it helps any. However, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or any suggestions on what else could cause something like this.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
your PCV is blowing by oil vapor and it's getting into your intake then combustion chambers, pretty common!
And your FINE with 7 quarts!

Auto

Established Member
I have the same exact problem as you, I started to notice it a couple weeks ago. My car is stock, except for cat back. Motor has 72k miles and still runs well, doesn't miss a beat or anything. I kinda figured it was a minor issue since all my fluids still look normal. Thanks for the thread haha.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Mine does the same thing -- only when I get on it before I head into the neighborhood. I think some oil is getting passed the valve seals. Nothing to worry about though. Definitely not to the point of tearing the engine apart. I just try to be mellow for the last 5 min or so of my drive and it doesn't happen. And I agree w/the 7 qt of oil. I've got 108K on mine now and it's still running well.

I think if it was the PCV putting oil into the intake it would happen more often. ???

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
What are you talking about? it DOES happen often:shrug:

I was talking about smoking every time I take the Rs up. I think if it was the PCV then after having some fun the car would smoke some. The only time my car smokes is after I park it after having fun. That's why I think it's the valve seals -- pump a lot of oil into the head and then turn the engine off.

I may be wrong. Does the puff of smoke on start up occur for anyone that has put breathers on?

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
i think it is a common thing with the 4v motors...i know when i dynoed my cobra when it was stock with 98k on the odometer when it got into high rpm's and then let off the throttle on the dyno it would smoke for a sec...it ha aslo done it at startup after sitting for a while...i dont think it is anything to worry about.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I was talking about smoking every time I take the Rs up. I think if it was the PCV then after having some fun the car would smoke some. The only time my car smokes is after I park it after having fun. That's why I think it's the valve seals -- pump a lot of oil into the head and then turn the engine off.

I may be wrong. Does the puff of smoke on start up occur for anyone that has put breathers on?

Sorry I misunderstood your first reply :beer:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can make a seperator using a water seperator for an air compressor. You can get the pieces at places like Lowes or Home Depot. It's not too expensive and pretty easy to build.

Users who are viewing this thread