Oil separators work! Pics inside!

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member
Just thought I'd share before and after pics of my buddies 03 with and without the oil separator, 15K miles in between before and after pics. I was impressed, it was VERY clean. Cheap oil separator from Lowe's.

Before:
oilsepbefore1.jpg

oilsepbefore2.jpg

A cheap oil separator and 15K miles later:

oilsepafter2.jpg

oilsepafter1.jpg

Tractionless1

Established Member
Nice. After 22k miles mine didn't look anywhere near as bad as the 1st pic. without a sep. I had about 1/2 ounce oil in the bottom of the intake. There was zero in the intake piep.

My sep. has about 1/8 ounce in it now and has not been emptied since I put it on over 1k miles ago. Tight motor I guess.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I'm new to modulars, so forgive my ignorance, but what does this separator look like, and how/where is it installed? Is the oil contamination common with these engines?

thanks, Brian

Troyz R Us

Outlaw Division
Established Member

black 10th vert

Established Member
yes, thanks for that link! That explains it all nicely, and is a very simple fix - got love those!:beer:

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
The root problem can usually be fixed with a check-valve in the PCV line. The separator is sort of a band-aid for the real problem which is the PCV flowing the wrong way under boost. So far, my inlet pipe to the throttle body is bone dry after installing a check-valve. It was nasty with oil before that.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I noticed a large different as well in the same amount of mileage with a Stage IV port.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
The root problem can usually be fixed with a check-valve in the PCV line. The separator is sort of a band-aid for the real problem which is the PCV flowing the wrong way under boost. So far, my inlet pipe to the throttle body is bone dry after installing a check-valve. It was nasty with oil before that.

:read:

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
oh, sorry, I missed your last post, hope no-one minds me referencing another site: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85651&highlight=check+valve

Lots of talk, but RWTD is right based on what I've found so-far. I used a brake-booster check valve from the HELP section of the parts store. someone else mentioned using a different p/n PCV valve, the factory one is a leaking POS and they want $20+ for a replacement!

M240Bravo

Established Member
WOW that was a good read on those two threads. I'm going to lowes and buying that stuff this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread