oil restrinctor chain tensioner...

aleborjas

Established Member
hi, i made a swap on a 2000 mustang GT and put on a mark 8 4v engine i put 98 cobra intake and 2003 valve cover and coils and the stock FTL3 GT computer it works great but i'm having a loud tappet noise on the right side sometimes if you rev it over 3000 it shuts up, does anyone knows if these engines uses oil restrinctor int he chain tensioner that goes between cams on the right beacause i'm having tappet sound (loud) just on the right side and i put new tappets and the same history i bought this engine from a junker and i took appart the heads completly to clean them and now there is no way i can shut that engine noise the oil presure is perfect 40 psi hot in iddle i tried diferent oil weights, what i see i turn the engine on without the valve cover there is way tooo many oil coming out the little hole that gets the little chain wet and just a little oil from the tappets i think there is something missing under the secondary tensioner that dosent hold oil presure in the tappets...
Realy need help on this, its driving me crazy
sorry for my english i'm writting from latin america...

the other Q why this engine does not spin 6800-7000k like cobras?

Toasty

Established Member
hi, i made a swap on a 2000 mustang GT and put on a mark 8 4v engine i put 98 cobra intake and 2003 valve cover and coils and the stock FTL3 GT computer it works great but i'm having a loud tappet noise on the right side sometimes if you rev it over 3000 it shuts up, does anyone knows if these engines uses oil restrinctor int he chain tensioner that goes between cams on the right beacause i'm having tappet sound (loud) just on the right side and i put new tappets and the same history i bought this engine from a junker and i took appart the heads completly to clean them and now there is no way i can shut that engine noise the oil presure is perfect 40 psi hot in iddle i tried diferent oil weights, what i see i turn the engine on without the valve cover there is way tooo many oil coming out the little hole that gets the little chain wet and just a little oil from the tappets i think there is something missing under the secondary tensioner that dosent hold oil presure in the tappets...
Realy need help on this, its driving me crazy
sorry for my english i'm writting from latin america...

the other Q why this engine does not spin 6800-7000k like cobras?

Cams are different than cobras, ALOT less duration/lift from what I have read here. Also, your MarkVIII block has a cast crankshaft, and wasnt designed to spin to 7K like the cobras (they can probably do it however).

Your noise is probably a Hydraulic Valve Last Adjuster. These sit at one end of each rocker arm and 'pump up' with oil pressure to take up rocker arm slack, just like a traditional hydraulic lifter in a pushrod engine. They are pretty well known for getting noisy in their old age.

aleborjas

Established Member
i've found some navigator cams what gain i will see just changing cams and it will be efective at high rpms like cobras (6800rpms)?

Toasty

Established Member
i've found some navigator cams what gain i will see just changing cams and it will be efective at high rpms like cobras (6800rpms)?

I'm going to guess that Navigator cams will be the same sort of thing as Mark8 cams - low end driveability.

96-98 cams in those heads will get you your best gains IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread