oil question

Qwkslvr98

Established Member
HI I have a newb question lol I just bought a 98 mustang gt with 115,xxx and I live in northwest Fl. I want to start doing my own oil changes..I'm thinking about going fully synththetic..what weight should I go with? thanks in advance

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
HI I have a newb question lol I just bought a 98 mustang gt with 115,xxx and I live in northwest Fl. I want to start doing my own oil changes..I'm thinking about going fully synththetic..what weight should I go with? thanks in advance

Northwest Florida with your mileage, any off the shelf "true" synthetic in a 5W-30 will be just fine.

Off the shelf, I'd choose Royal Purple 5W-30 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. Both lubricants offer true synthetic base stocks.

A step up, if you don't mind ordering product online, would be Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 or one of three Amsoil Signature Series 30 grades.

The oil filter thread offers a lot of great information for filter choice. Link

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Royal purple IMO is for race purposes only, leave the weight the same and run mobile 1. Save a few bucks, and it will last longer.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have built several hundred motors, and if you are DD it, run mobil 1 its better for that, royal purple is damn good oil, but it breaks down quicker, and there for I would not recommend it in DD, and especially with your set up. Whats the point of spending 60.00 on oil when you can save 20.00 and get the same protection, and it last longer?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If I had to choose Mobil 1, it would be only Extended Performance. You can get it in 5.1 quart containers at WalMart for $30.00

Buying their mainline product for $25.00 (5.1 quart) isn't worth what you save. EP will outperform it hands down.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
OP you should really see if you can find out what the previous owner used, if conventional I would stick with that..

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I dont buy extended performance, I pay the extra 10 bucks and get regular mobil 1 synthetic. Extended performance was where Mobil 1 got its bad name. The original formula, which they still sale, is fine, its never failed me. I think the walmart here has the original version for around the same price.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
OP you should really see if you can find out what the previous owner used, if conventional I would stick with that..

Very true, switching up oils can lead to oil usage. I have seen it first hand. I had a 65k mile 91 GT, and it had only had Havoline in it since it was new. I switched to mobil 1 and it used a quart in 3k miles. I went back on the next oil change it never did it again.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I dont buy extended performance, I pay the extra 10 bucks and get regular mobil 1 synthetic. Extended performance was where Mobil 1 got its bad name. The original formula, which they still sale, is fine, its never failed me. I think the walmart here has the original version for around the same price.

EP is Mobil's superior formulation, and it cost's more. You pay extra for a cheaper formulated product?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have built several hundred motors, and if you are DD it, run mobil 1 its better for that, royal purple is damn good oil, but it breaks down quicker, and there for I would not recommend it in DD, and especially with your set up. Whats the point of spending 60.00 on oil when you can save 20.00 and get the same protection, and it last longer?

Says who?
Got any tech to back that up?
Quicker than what? Mobil 1 ???
Define your definition of "breaks down" while you are at it.

We make three distinctly different lines of passenger car oils none of them are inferior to Mobil 1. The GM 4718M spec is an oxidation testing sequence GM began using back in the mid to late 1990’s with the introduction of the C5. The new design created some inherent issues with oil cooling. GM needed an oil which could handle higher temperatures for extended periods without a significant increase in the oxidation rate. In 360F Thin Film Oxidation Uptake (TFOUT ASTM D4742) testing most synthetics, including GM4718M licensed Mobil 1, will typically reach failure in less than 500 minutes, Royal Purple SAE engine oils exceed 1200 minutes before failure.

The RP SAE oils are our least expensive oils.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jimmy,

I must have missed that comment, but darn.....you beat me to it. Good stuff.

On a side note, my girlfriend says I've been known to reach failure in only 5-10 minutes. Jimmy, whatever does she mean? :??:

:lol1:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread