Oil question

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
Ever since it came out i have been running Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w-30 in all of my cars. i have had my 03 cobra for about 2 years and some change... my question is what is the best oil and viscosity for our cobras? I heard that 5w-20 is better? is that true

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I run 5w30..... oil cap calls for 5w20, but you might as well be running water at that point, IMO. I know these motors have tight clearances, but 5w20 is too thin for me to feel comfortable with.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I ran 5w-30 in my 99 cobra. it called for 5w-20. Well I just tore the motor down and after 125k I could still see the crosshatching in the cylinder walls. motor ran like a top. the bearings were in wonderful shape. Im running 5w-30 in my new setup now and will continue to

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
from what I understand, Ford says to run 5W-20 because of fuel economy.. (it's thinner, making a tiny bit less friction, therefore using less fuel)

03yellow

Established Member
Use the search button. There a thousands is threads on this stupid subject. With over a million opions. You want the truth ... It dosent matter.... The best oil is clean oil. Used motorcraft 5-20 because it's cheap and you can change if more often. If you use expensive syn. Oil and extend the length between oilchanges then you hurting your engine. Again the best oil is clean oil
Consumer Reports.
Or you can use Purple organic super synthetic red hyper cooler super duper ultra pure..... On and on an on and on and on and on and on and on and on...... Just like this stupid thread and the other 1000 of them on here.

metaman

Established Member
I have been running 1 quart Lucas Synthetic oil Stabilizer with 5 quarts Mobil One 5w30 for 75,000 miles. The car still has only ever smoked on start up one time, and that was before I switched off of the Ford half syn. oil 75k ago. No piston slap on start up ever. The stuff flat out works.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
metaman Lucas is GARBAGE!! Militec-1 ALL THE WAY!!
And your a quart low, it's 7!!
And Exactly Fords Switch to 5W20 was to squeeze a little more miles per gallon, lubrication wasn't in mind when this change was made!
5W30!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread