Oil Pressure

cobraboss

Established Member
Hey Beast, got 62lbs of pressure at 72mph, 1700rpm, 170deg thermastat. Oh also running Amsoil 10w30 ATM. What you think?

cobraboss

Established Member
Will have to wait a week, installing Whipple. I'll check when I get car back.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Soon as you get it fired up for that first drive, let me know what hot idle oil pressure is after 20 minutes of driving.

If you are in the 25 to 30 PSI hot idle pressure range, you are golden.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hey Beast, got 62lbs of pressure at 72mph, 1700rpm, 170deg thermastat. Oh also running Amsoil 10w30 ATM. What you think?

Some generic oil pressure recommendations:

Many motorsport enthusiasts and professional engine builders still think that thicker oil and higher oil pressure equal better protection, yet that is simply not the case. Better protection is best achieved through superior oil chemistry, which can result in higher film strength and better wear protection and this allows for safe optimization of oil viscosity and oil pressures to more efficient levels.

Thicker oil is however legitimately needed when the oil temperatures become extremely high on a regular basis(endurance or road racing or air cooled engines), or if you are experiencing high levels of fuel dilution, or if your internal crank shaft bearing clearances are modified and opened up significantly.

Technically if you are running much more than 10 pounds of oil pressure per 1,000 RPM (tested when the oil is as hot as it is likely to ever get), this will be essentially like throwing away and wasting valuable horsepower due to excessive pumping and parasitic loses.

Running a “too thick” oil can also contribute to higher operating temperatures, since over all oil flow is reduced with a thicker oil. Reduced flow means less heat is able to be removed.

When using a high quality, high film strength oil... ;-) , you only really need between 6 to 8 pounds of oil pressure per 1,000 RPM when the oil is at its hottest point.

Without an accurate oil temp gauge, oil pressure comparisons with different viscosity oils are going to have questionable value.
This is because unless the different oils are tested at the same temperature the oil pressure test results will be almost worthless.:beer:

sonic cobra

Established Member
Jimmy, I've been pondering this for some time now. As you know our terminators are supposed to use 5w20. I have been tracking my Cobra since new using Amsoil 0w30 full synthetic oil the entire time. I am now running new billet gears in the stock oil pump housing and last fall my oil pressure was 80psi on my speedhut guage at 3000 rpms and 183*F on my aeroforce OBD guage.
All I have read would agree with your suggestions. That is going to the lighter 5w20 weight oil which would circulate faster and improve cooling to some degree. You know these cars run real hot on track and I could use all the cooling efficiency I can find, but I just can't bring myself to go to the thinner oil. I've already had to rebuild the motor once due to excessive heat issues.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, I've been pondering this for some time now. As you know our terminators are supposed to use 5w20. I have been tracking my Cobra since new using Amsoil 0w30 full synthetic oil the entire time. I am now running new billet gears in the stock oil pump housing and last fall my oil pressure was 80psi on my speedhut guage at 3000 rpms and 183*F on my aeroforce OBD guage.
All I have read would agree with your suggestions. That is going to the lighter 5w20 weight oil which would circulate faster and improve cooling to some degree. You know these cars run real hot on track and I could use all the cooling efficiency I can find, but I just can't bring myself to go to the thinner oil. I've already had to rebuild the motor once due to excessive heat issues.

If your car is mostly street use with just a few track events here and there, a very high film strength premium synthetic 5w20 with enhanced wear protection will function perfectly fine.

However if track events are the primary use of this fun car, I think a high quality synthetic 5w30 is the right viscosity.

Without an accurate oil temp gauge however we may never really know, using an OBD gauge is either inferred oil temp or engine coolant temp because there is no oil temp sending unit on our cars.:shrug:

I'm using XPR 5W-30 and changing it once a year, I'm probably not as fast as you though.:beer:

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes mostly street driven. Oil pressure is on speedhut guage. Temp is from the aeroforce and it is water temp not oil temp. I feel better about staying with the 0w30 oil.
Thanks Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread