Oil pressure too high?

19984V

Established Member
Got a brand new oil cooler installed and recently noticed the oil pressure gauge is showing the pressure on the "A" or "L"

Is this too high? Any reason it went up?

venomous99

Established Member
the factory gauge is useless as far as being an indicator of real pressure..all it tells u is there is pressure when its not at zero.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Got a brand new oil cooler installed and recently noticed the oil pressure gauge is showing the pressure on the "A" or "L"

Is this too high? Any reason it went up?

Mine reads the same (it never leaves 'A', unless the motor's off), thought that was actually normal as I've heard the stock gauges are unreliable.

Btw, venomous99 ... your car looks sick!!! (and I mean that in the most positive way). What wheels and size tires do you have on there?

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The stock sender is a 6 PSI pressure switch. It is closed when the pressure is above 6PSI, and open when it is below. The gauge needle travel is limited to the "high normal" level by a 20 ohm resistor in 94-96 clusters, by the gauge itself in 97 & 98 clusters and by the microprocessor in 99-04 clusters.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I actually do have the oil pressure gauge circuit working for my car. Here is a video of a test mode that sweeps the needle from 0 PSI at the low mark to 100 PSI at the high mark, stopping at every 10 PSI for 3 seconds. It is set up for clusters with replacement gauge faces with oil pressure tick marks.

http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/OilPressureGauge/MarkOlsonsStockCluster/OPDoneTempNot.AVI

The tempreature gauge does not quite make it to the H mark, so I still need to tweak that software a bit to get it dead nuts on, but I am pretty close.

I am beginning to think the gauges are all too variable to have one size fit all, so I have developed a gizmo that will let people take data from their cluster that will let me customize the circuit for each cluster without them having to send it in to me. I am now working out how well that works with my own clusters.

As soon as I get that done, I need to tweak the design slightly for the 97-98 clusters. At that point, I will be ready to go into production for the 94-98 clusters, so it will be coming soon.

Then I will restart the design for the 99-04 cluster circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread