Oil Pressure Problems, OPP!

cooper1320

Established Member
So just had my oil changed, drove it for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden when coming to a stop my oil pressure gauge dropped all the way to L, then when back to the middle when I started driving again. I drove the car straight home, the car never made and knocking noise, no oil spilling from anywhere, checked the dipstick and shows oil in the middle were it should be.

Any idea what it could be??

I've searched all I find is "use a mechanical gauge and change the op sensor"

Any other help? Any one have this happen after an oil change??

I used Royal Purple 5w20. And mobile 1 filter

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
My 01 did this. Your oil pressure sending unit could be going bad.

I can't think of any reason why your pressure gauge would drop after an oil change. Is your car leaking any oil?

oldmodman

Established Member
I hate to ask such a stupid question, but is the oil coming up to the full mark on your dipstick? I ask because once I just filled my engine after an oil change and forgot to recheck it after the engine had been run and filled up the filter and passages. It wasn't low enough to really cause any problems but I still forgot and always remember to double check now.
My reason for asking is that when breaking the oil could surge away from the pickup tube and the oil pressure could really have gone to zero momentarily.
If it is full I would hook up a mechanical gauge just for peace of mind.
And I have had several Ford oil pressure switches (they are not pressure sensors) fail before. One in my explorer and one in my Cobra.

Last edited:

cooper1320

Established Member
oil on the dip stick is marking right in the middle,

its the stock gauge that's acting up.

I checked my car today in the Moring to see if I see any drip marks on the ground and nothing...

im going to change the OP switch later today,

I fear its something internal,

also is there any how to or info on how to hook up a mechanical OP gauge

any other speculation on what it might be??

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
the plunger is probably getting stuck if it were internal problem the motor would be toast by now

cooper1320

Established Member
if its the oil pump, would I have to remove the motor in order to change it or can I just drop the pan???? I think the k member is in the way right

TRBO VNM

You can do pump in car, but it isn't a pushrod motor. Oil pump slips on crank shaft and bolts to front of block, not underneath.

Change the sensor and go from there. The stock gauges are complete junk. If it stayed at zero I would say motor issue, but since it came back up and acted normal, it is probably the stock sensor. At least I hope it is. This is one aftermarket gauge I always recommend to people. The stock one sucks and by the time it reads low, it is too late.

cooper1320

Established Member
how do I go about changing the sensor?? is it just a screw on / screw off part?
do I need Teflon tape?
is oil going to spill out from where the OP switch is??

Mystic03

Established Member
how do I go about changing the sensor?? is it just a screw on / screw off part?
yes it screws off, if its an 03cobra the sender is right infront of the oil cooler

do I need Teflon tape?

i always use teflon tape

is oil going to spill out from where the OP switch is??[/QUOTE]

yes but not alot

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Good to hear! I personally don't like Teflon tape. I use permatex high temp thread sealant on every fitting with zero issues.

TRBO VNM

Good to hear! I personally don't like Teflon tape. I use permatex high temp thread sealant on every fitting with zero issues.

I use the loctite version. I have had a roll of teflon tape in my toolbox for 15yrs and it looks the same as when I put it in there. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread