Oil Pressure Gauge

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Is the stock oil pressure gauge in our trucks functional? I read somewhere that they are not connected to a sender but have a resistor hooked up to make them read mid-scale.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Its a dummy, thats why its always at the same position and it goes right up there when you start it, no lag like with the engine temp gauge. I heard it will drop if your pressure drops, but its not a "real" gauge

36FORD Mike

Established Member
My original boost gauge never went above 4PSI. Ford replaced it under warranty (had to replace the entire cluster).

I installed a tee in the pressure line and ran a mechanical boost gauge to check the replacement gauge....... very close.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Well mine is over the 10psi harsh mark, and I know im not getting that much. Maybe in the morning when its cold, dense air. But not in 81 degree weather with 60% humidity

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Just checked my wife's Explorer... same dummy gauge.

I have a 1936 Ford Coupe. The gauge in it is real. It sold for $600 new. We are really progressing.

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Good info on that link thanks.

I manage an auto parts store so I checked the stock sender listing for our trucks and sure enough it is a switch normally used on a dash with an oil light not a gauge. The senders listed on the link cost about the same, so Ford didn't do this to save costs.

One other thing that ticks me off. My daughter went to NAU in Arizona for four years and made many trips (500 miles each way) in the Explorer from our home in So Cal. I always worried (if you have kids you'll understand) about a car problem as this is through some very remote desert. I had her watching the gauges as she drove to keep an eye on things, even called on the cell a couple of times to see how things were going.

Oh well she never had a problem so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
That kind of pisses me off. Looks like I'm getting an autometer oil press gauge along with my boost and a/f.

I use to always be like, "Damn dude, look how fast this thing gets pressure on start up." Sucks. I guess thats why the digital pressure gauge in the odo doesn't work either huh?

Helix

Users who are viewing this thread