Oil on plug??

tire_fryin89

Established Member
I have an 04 cobra with about 50k on the clock. Typical pullied tuned car. The other day I cranked it and it blew alot of blue smoke out of the exaust and continues to lightly smoke out of the left side. First I thought valve seals but you can kill the car and crank it right back up and get the same huge puff of smoke. So I pulled the plugs and the #7 plug is just covered in oil. The rest of the plugs have a nice dry dark tan color to them, but the 7 plug is soaked with oil literally. I dont even see how the plug is even still firing but the car only shows a slight miss when u let out on the clutch and the idle drops down. Other than that it seams to run fine. Any idea what this could be? It just seemed to happen all at once, no signs of it coming, just started it one day and there it was. Im hoping its not a oil ring but I dunno, Im out of ideas. I kinda wanted to get some input before I yank the valve cover cause if it might be more major then Im just gonna carry it to someone.

cbr repsol

Established Member
you need to perform a leakdown test. Sounds to me a possible worn valve guide,bad piston ring's in that cylinder causing blow-by , or possible damaged/melted piston.

Last edited:

aguila1

Established Member
:lol: Sounds about right to me

same thing happen to my car, one morning i started the car up and blue smoke came out of the exhaust since then it hasnt happen anymore hopefully nothing serious going to check out my plugs just to make sure have no serious problems

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Plugs will tell u almost everything about your car. Its pretty normal to a have a little around the plugs, but on the electrode, you probably have problems, but hopefully not

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Yeah, the electrode had oil on it, not burned oil, like wet oil, the type you can soak up on a napkin lol. I talked to Travis at gearheads performance and he seams to think its gonna be a ring or something like that more than anything on the heads. Im gonna carry it to them and just let them handle it, I dont really have the time plus Im sure they see this type of thing all the time. But either way, theres a problem there thats probably gonna be an expensive fix before its all said and done.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
If you have oil on the plug like that there is a good chance you have an issue with a piston or piston ring. Hopefully that's not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread