Oil Leaking out of Air Filter

dowchr

Established Member
Hi All,

I have a 97 cobra thats supercharged with a Vorteck V1, 42lbs injectors and full exhaust. Other than that the rest is stock.

This weekend I took it to the dyno and had it dyno'd it made 425RWHP which I was happy about.

When I got home I saw there was some oil dripping out of air filter.

After doing some research I beleive I have a bad PCV valve. Can anyone confirm this? If this is the problem can you suggest some solutions and post some pics?

Thanks for the help.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'd be more inclined to believe that the seals in your supercharger are becoming worn and it is leaking.

antcjr

Established Member
Mine is doing the same thing have it coming out the air filter and the discharge tube.

I'm hoping it's the seals can will be rebuilding it in a month. How old is your V1?

dowchr

Established Member
It was on the car when I bought it but I beleive it's pretty old. Possibly 8 or 9 years old.

The car only has 28,000 miles on it. Could the seal be bad with such low milage.

I guess the best thing to do is take the intake pipe or power pipe off and see were the oil is coming from to confirm.

Noreast

Established Member
It was on the car when I bought it but I beleive it's pretty old. Possibly 8 or 9 years old.

The car only has 28,000 miles on it. Could the seal be bad with such low milage.

I guess the best thing to do is take the intake pipe or power pipe off and see were the oil is coming from to confirm.

They could be dry rotted from sitting

CJK440

Established Member
Where does your breather connect to the intake tract?

Sent from my whiz bang pocket computer.

dowchr

Established Member
On the drivers side valve cover the PCV valve goes into the upper intake.

On the passanger side I have no idea were it goes.

I beleive i need an oil seperator.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best one for an SN95?

CJK440

Established Member
On the drivers side valve cover the PCV valve goes into the upper intake.

On the passanger side I have no idea were it goes.

I beleive i need an oil seperator.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best one for an SN95?

I don't think that's your problem.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I had the same problem... The pcv on the pass side connected to the inlet of the blower's pipe. Splice an inline air separator and that should fix the problem.

Your blower pulls vac on the PCV pulling oil vapors in and collects in the intake of the bower and drips out of the filter.

itSSlow98

Established Member
If you are interested in running a catch can that has inlets for both valves covers into the can, and one line to the intake tube let me know. That is what I run and it still pulls vacuum from the crankcase while catching ALL of the oil pulled from the valve covers. I bet if you take off your intake manifold you'll find a good bit of oil.

Users who are viewing this thread