oil in vacuum line that goes from pass head to air intake tube

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
The little black tube that goes from the passengers side valve cover to the air intake had a little oil in it, it also looked like my throttle body had some on the blade.

Is this bad?

What's the fix, I've seen people running that breather filter, is that a fix for this prob?

Thanks

Jefe

Established Member
If I put 6 in it doesnt reach the full line on my dipstick

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I don't really want the tube because, honestly, I think it looks ugly under the hood. Lame reason but if there is not alternative then I guess that's the route I'll have to go.

Looks like the oil arguement is brewing, that debate always seems to get interesting lol

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
On the passenger side of the terminators the air in entering the head and I'm not sure you should have oil in it. On the drivers side the gas is coming out and that is where the oil separator goes.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
From the research that I did on this subject, the reason for oil in the intake tube/track on the passengers side is due to the PCV allowing flow into the driver's side valve cover under boost. Under boost, the pressure differential reverses (intake manifold to crankcase pressure) and the PCV system wants to operate in reverse (air goes into crankcase through PCV and vents out intake tube into the air intake track). The cure for this is not an oil seperator but the addition of a check valve on the line coming from the PCV to the back on the intake.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't put a breather on it, you will have a vacuum leak. I put a breather on just my driver side when my PCV broke.... big mistake. Oil spewed out of the passenger side all the time, due to not having any vacuum pulling it through..... definitely leave the PCV system fully in tact.

Anyway, leave the passenger side tube in place, it brings filtered air through the crankcase, which is getting drawn through by the vacuum of the driver side PCV.

To prevent oil, set up a catch can after the PCV on the driver side. I would say put a check valve on the passenger side, but you don't want to cut off pressure from getting out of the crankcase..... you could put a catch can on the passenger side too, that would work.

Last edited:

ponyboy03

Established Member
Total Hogwash! Prove it and if you throughly read the oil threads on this site it's 7 quarts!

Everything in print from Ford or SVT says 6 quarts. The dip stick is incorrect. It's a piece of wire with a metal indicator on the end. If I put 7 quarts in (which I use to) I would get oil in the intake. That's proof enough for me.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Everything in print from Ford or SVT says 6 quarts. The dip stick is incorrect. It's a piece of wire with a metal indicator on the end. If I put 7 quarts in (which I use to) I would get oil in the intake. That's proof enough for me.

Everything you have printed says you believe there isn't oil/crap coming through your PCV system, but you're wrong. Its presence is not dependent on the number of quarts you have in your car. Vaporized oil/crap in the PCV system is a fact. Furthermore, don't believe everything in the Ford/SVT literature - the gub'mnt has it's hold on us all. I'll never run 5W20 or less than 6.5 quarts in my Cobra, despite what the manual and cap say. If it's a daily driver, no big deal. If it's on the track, tell your motor I'm sorry. If you don't want to run a separator, fine, but don't mislead people if you don't know the facts.

ponyboy03

Established Member
no your right I don't want to mislead anyone, 6 works for me and I know that oil is vaporized going into the intake but personally I was getting way too much oil in there using 7 quarts.

So if you don't want any oil getting in your intake using 6 6.5 or 7 quarts then get a separator.

Users who are viewing this thread