Oil in coolant ?!! 99 cobra

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hey guys
so today we cleaned the radiator & reservoir, we got a new oil filter and we took off the oil cooler
so the question is how can I find out if the cooler is the problem like if it's leaking or something.
here is some pics

nox9uh.jpg

2vajqyg.jpg

jzaagk.jpg

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Hey guys
so today we cleaned the radiator & reservoir, we got a new oil filter and we took off the oil cooler
so the question is how can I find out if the cooler is the problem like if it's leaking or something.
here is some pics

nox9uh.jpg

2vajqyg.jpg

jzaagk.jpg

That thing IS DEFINITELY leaking. See the 2nd ring (envision a bullseye), from the outside? It should not have all that brown crud in there. It is normally clean. The core o-rings have crapped out.

Edit.. in the 2nd photo, wtf is all that wavy stuff? is that the old o-ring? Do you have better pics?

If you need all the gaskets and o-rings for it, shoot me a pm.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'll sell you my 01 oil cooler for $45 bucks shipped. :) Worked perfect but when I did my eaton swapped had to change over to an 03 style one. You would only need to reuse your stud that holds it in place. And don't pay a mechanic it is REALLY easy to put on.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I can take more pics if you wanted, but I'm not sure whats going on in there :dw:

I'll sell you my 01 oil cooler for $45 bucks shipped. :) Worked perfect but when I did my eaton swapped had to change over to an 03 style one. You would only need to reuse your stud that holds it in place. And don't pay a mechanic it is REALLY easy to put on.

well tomorrow I'm going to look for a used one, but if I didn't get lucky I might PM you, thanx any way :burnout:.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
a quick update,
I decided to get a used oil cooler and install it,
then we'll fill her up with oil & coolant and we'll see

now I'm waiting for the parts.

4a7191a

Established Member
after you replace the oil cooler id drive it for a little while and flush the coolant again. that slimmy stuff is all inside of your block too. when i have this problem it took like 3 flushes to get the crap out. that was with a radiator flush with the thing out of the car.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
after you replace the oil cooler id drive it for a little while and flush the coolant again. that slimmy stuff is all inside of your block too. when i have this problem it took like 3 flushes to get the crap out. that was with a radiator flush with the thing out of the car.

yea I was wondering about that and how to do it
the problem is the mix is really thick I'm not sure how many flushes will it take to get rid of it all

4a7191a

Established Member
it took three on mine, first 2 back to back. the third was on the next oil change. it still had greasy looking crap in it, but not as near as bad.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hi guys
sorry for taking a lot of time but I was waiting for my parts
I just installed my new cooler along with new o-rings

but I"m having a problem with filling/flushing coolant
I know the procedure but the question is how do you open the crossover tube, it seems impossible !

4a7191a

Established Member
i had access to a coolant flush machine.
mine was just about froze solid on my 99, i used a 3/8s rachet with a 1/4" adapter for more umph... when i got mine off.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I had to grab the lip w/vice grips and have the 1/4" drive engaged and turn both at once to get mine off. Poor design IMO. I replaced the cap w/a stainless one that a member on here made that has a hex head. Not sure if he's making them anymore.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
so from what I understand it has to pieces that can be opened opposite to each other ?
or is the whole cap that opens ?

the one thing holding me right now is this stupid cap
and its really really sticking there

thank you guys any was, I'll try again today and we'll see what happens

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Put a 1/4 adapter on a 3/8 ratchet and make sure you have it fully seated. It's just like a big set screw and will come out as one piece. I'm sure its just stuck from years of getting hot and cold and crap built up on it. It'll come out just lean into it!

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Put a 1/4 adapter on a 3/8 ratchet and make sure you have it fully seated. It's just like a big set screw and will come out as one piece. I'm sure its just stuck from years of getting hot and cold and crap built up on it. It'll come out just lean into it!

What I normally do is when the car is hot and running, I'll then use a 1/4" socket extention to break free the cap, but I do NOT open it all the way, just enough to break it free. It breaks free A LOT easier when it's hot. When the car cools down, it opens up easily and I can then flush or refill the coolant.

Always fill up your coolant from the crossover tube and not just from the degass bottle (wrong spelling below).

coolantfilleducationedi.jpg

Last edited:

SCUBAFreaky

What I normally do is when the car is hot and running, I'll then use a 1/4" socket extention to break free the cap, but I do NOT open it all the way, just enough to break it free. It breaks free A LOT easier when it's hot. When the car cools down, it opens up easily and I can then flush or refill the coolant.

Always fill up your coolant from the crossover tube and not just from the degass bottle (wrong spelling below).

Does anybody know what size o-ring goes on the cap on the crossover tube? The last time I was in there my seal disintegrated and I just ended up using a little RTV on the threads. I would like to go back to a seal configuration so I can take the cap off and on more easily.

the one thing holding me right now is this stupid cap

thank you guys any was, I'll try again today and we'll see what happens

And Black Cobra, were you able to get your car all fixed up?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
And Black Cobra, were you able to get your car all fixed up?

Yes I did.
it was the oil coolers o-rings, but just to make sure I got a new one (used one, but at least newer than mine)

I think you'll find the link for the o-ring I've bought somewhere in previous posts.

as for crossover cap, I'm doing what you did, don't know about the o-ring.

Users who are viewing this thread