Oil in coolant ?!! 99 cobra

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hello everyone,
this is my first post, and my first problem:dw: here is what happened

It's been 3 weeks since I bought my 99 cobra, it had 180k on it but I dont think it did them all because there something wrong with the odometer.
so I took it for a quick drive one day, I've put my foot down twice (not the first time), not aggressively and on the way home I noticed a small smoke coming from the left hood vent so I stopped the car, turned it off.
I opened the hood and this beenut butter liquid is all over the expansion tank, battery, cylinder head so I waited for it to cool a bit then I started the car and got home with no problems other than overheating. I opened the expansion cap and it started to "throw up" literally :eek:.
so I left it for 5-10 min filled it with water and started the car and it threw up again for 5 min.
there is no oil in the car no coolant and when started every thing looks fine :shrug:
so what could possibly be the problem :??:

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Pick up some block tester, I think that's what it's called. Anyways it's a tool that will change color if there is exhaust gases in the coolant. I'll google it really fast.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Whats the condition of the engine oil? Does it look milky (think choloate milk) does the coolant smell burnt? You said the car basically "threw up" so I'm defaulting to a leak or blown out gasket that's causing combustion gases to over pressurize the coolant system. Btw the block tester will tell you these issues by changing colors for the testing liquid.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
hmmm exhaust gases ?
well I think I'll give it a shot

thanx for the quick reply

It's a inexpensive diagnostic tool (and low tech) to catch what could end up as a costly repair if you let it continue on. If you have trouble figuring it out, take it to a shop that you are comfortable with so they can perform a leak down and compression test, that way it can be pin pointed to a cylinder or passage. Goodluck

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Whats the condition of the engine oil? Does it look milky (think choloate milk) does the coolant smell burnt? You said the car basically "threw up" so I'm defaulting to a leak or blown out gasket that's causing combustion gases to over pressurize the coolant system. Btw the block tester will tell you these issues by changing colors for the testing liquid.

Sounds like a head gasket? Is the oil clear on the dipstick or a milky brown?

there is no oil in the dipstick or the oil cap, there was a drop which looked like oil, no change in color. however the oil that came out of the expansion tank looked milky.
I think you are right about the gases, but where did it mix with the coolant ?
I have a video of it happening once I get a chance I'll post it.

by the way there is no coolant in the car & no oil, it's been nearly a week & the car is just sitting in the garage, now I have the time to work on it.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I searched the web and most of them said it's either the head gasket or the oil cooler.
so did you change the cooler or was it the hoses ?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Whatever you do, please don't drive the vehicle with no oil in it, or even as it is.

What could be a low cost fix could end up costing you thousands.

Also, you can only fill your cooling system from the crossover tube. There is a small square 1/4" socket hole on that black metal cap. That's where the coolant goes and not into the reservoir (degass bottle).

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Whatever you do, please don't drive the vehicle with no oil in it, or even as it is.

What could be a low cost fix could end up costing you thousands.

Also, you can only fill your cooling system from the crossover tube. There is a small square 1/4" socket hole on that black metal cap. That's where the coolant goes and not into the reservoir (degass bottle).

Don't worry I won't ;-)
when I drove it at the time I didn't know it ate all of its oil.

you know when I bought the car there was a leaking issue, and I was filling the car from the reservoir the whole time :-D

thank you for the tip.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have an extra 01 oil cooler that worked perfect when I took it off. ;-) But I vote cooler too. Its really easy to get off, its held on by a giant allen key.

1MeanNonPI2v

Established Member
Leak Down Test

If the block test is inconclusive, you should leak down test each cylinder. A leak down tester may cost you between $100-200 but it is the best tool for discovering a damaged cylinder. You connect the leak down tester to an air compressor and fill the cylinder to be tested with compressed air. Once the cylinder is pressurized you watch the gauge and look for a drop in pressure. Most cylinders will leak between 10 and 15 percent. Anything more than that is abnormal and would then require a partial or complete tear down. A failed head gasket, piston rings, bad valve seat, damaged valve or a damaged piston/cylinder wall can all cause excessive leakage.
The block test is the most affordable route to test for a blown head gasket, but I much prefer a leak down test over a compression test. The data gathered from a leak down will give you a much better idea of the condition of each cylinder.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
where is the location of the cooler
if anyone have pictures of it it'll be great
Its what your oil filter screws onto. The shaft that you screw the filter onto is all that hold it in place on the block. Just unscrew it and the cooler comes off. You'll need to remove a coolant hose too to completely remove it. Really easy to do but you need a huge allen key... think 1/2 inch but don't remember for sure.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Any updates Black Cobra 99? :poke:

Yes there is :rolling:
so yesterday I took the car for a mechanic and I just came from his shop,
honestly I'm a bit confused about what he said .

he opened the c.head and it was fine, so he said the problem must be some where else, and he said it could be in the block ??
I told him about the oil cooler but I think he doesn't know about it.

so tomorrow I'm going back and I'll speak with the guy who works on my car and I'll tell him about the oil cooler.

thank you guys for the input and if you have any other advice don't be shy ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread