Oil for turbos

Torchy

Established Member
You should PM me man. I have a TT set up on a 13 coyote here in Vegas too. I used Amsoil SS 10w-30 and just had a OUA performed. I went 13 months and 5 days on it and 10,012 miles. UOA results just came back yesterday. On a overall scale of 0-4 with 0 being best it scored a 1. TBN (total base number) was 4.0, it sheared 4.67% and the verbal comments was "its still good to go."

Due to the non-ideal oil return lines from turbos I think next time I will go with 5w-30 just so the oil could possibly return back to the pan a little easier. I get a little oil smoke on cold start up. Once it heats up it goes away.

Used the Amsoil EAO17 filter as well. PM me to get the oil too. We have a local warehouse here.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Torchy, thank you for the support and updates you have provided with your sample. You have no idea what you have proven with your UOA. All the haters and nay sayers will be shocked, and in disbelief. However, I know the truth, and your sample proves it. I've never seen any other lubricant able to perform under these extreme conditions so well, and so long. Your sample was wasted when you drained it.

If you are having cold start issues, you can try 5W-30 or 0W-30 Amsoil Signature Series. Your oil smoke on start up could be oil leaking into the combustion chamber from the valves while the car sits overnight. If so, changing the formulation will not solve your issue. Heck, after your UOA....why should you have to.

10257425_731486820231494_8997822135069079215_o.png

Thanks again for sharing.

Don't forget to show them how to buy at preferred customer pricing. Don't pay more than you have to.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I'm using RP 5w-30 at the moment. Also have some cold start smoking until warming up and when doing WOT runs. Not bad though. Will be switching to Amsoil 10w30 or 5w30 haven't decided yet. Good luck with your choice and make sure to flow your turbos (which I still haven't done yet)

Torchy

Established Member
I'm using RP 5w-30 at the moment. Also have some cold start smoking until warming up and when doing WOT runs. Not bad though. Will be switching to Amsoil 10w30 or 5w30 haven't decided yet. Good luck with your choice and make sure to flow your turbos (which I still haven't done yet)

Yeah I did that a looong time ago and here is all my data for us Hellion guys. I think I get a little oil smoke on WOT as well but its very light. Not enough for me to care.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?929352-2013-Hellion-TT-Issue-need-help-(vid)

Cliffs:
The gold number seems to be about 8-12OZ's per 30 seconds hot. Use whatever pills it takes to get there.

Torchy

Established Member
5-30 here also.

Do you get any cold start oil smoke?

Big thanks UB! Always glad to help. My minor oil smoke is def from turbos but it's not a concern to me anymore. Just looking for little tweaks to help it. It got much better with the restrictors in there. Seems like these turbos don't want any oil lol.

Last edited:

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Used to smoke alot when I had the bigger restrictors in. I have the 30s and I really cant see smoke anymore.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If the turbo has too much oil flow, it pushes past the seals and gets into the air intake. I see said the blind man. Too much restriction, and you destroy the turbo. Thin line between love and hate with these cars, and very viscosity dependent. This would make a good thread to know what viscosity everyone is using, and what size restriction.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
Good call Unleashed. I'll post up my results on the flow tests for RP 5w-30 on the current .42 pills and the Amsoil stuff on the same pills. Also have the .35 pills just in case. Beast do you think a 5w-30 Amsoil SS would be a ok choice for turbo heat and warm climates? Any problems you can foresee with it becoming too thin? Thanks.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
If the turbo has too much oil flow, it pushes past the seals and gets into the air intake. I see said the blind man. Too much restriction, and you destroy the turbo. Thin line between love and hate with these cars, and very viscosity dependent. This would make a good thread to know what viscosity everyone is using, and what size restriction.

Searching for this thin line cost me a billet wheel precision turbo. One of the reasons I run a Comp oil less turbo now!

OveRBoreD

Established Member
So I flowed the turbos on 5w-30 RP and got 12oz per 30 sec on both turbos. This was with the car close to fully warm and I didn't have a chance to flow them at full warm. I found a good deal on some RP 5w-30 HPS so I took it for this oil change. I'm going to have to do AMSOIL next time. Bummer huh. I did find out that I may have tapped the drivers side oil return too low because when I unscrewed the line, oil came flying out of the pan from the fitting. That may cause my flow problems because I'm trying to force oil into oil. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Oh well I'll buy a new pan and have everything welded in really good.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
So I flowed the turbos on 5w-30 RP and got 12oz per 30 sec on both turbos. This was with the car close to fully warm and I didn't have a chance to flow them at full warm. I found a good deal on some RP 5w-30 HPS so I took it for this oil change. I'm going to have to do AMSOIL next time. Bummer huh. I did find out that I may have tapped the drivers side oil return too low because when I unscrewed the line, oil came flying out of the pan from the fitting. That may cause my flow problems because I'm trying to force oil into oil. (Correct me if I'm wrong) Oh well I'll buy a new pan and have everything welded in really good.

Def will cause return issues but whatever. Not the end of the world. Just redo with new pan. I tried to keep mine as high as possible and do not have that issue when I disconnect the returns. FWIW I accidently over filled my motor (by only about half quart) the other day and it created smoke at idle on cold start. Drained that out and made oil lvl about 80% full according to the stick and back to no smoke at cold start so it is def return/flow related.

My thought is what if you welded a 45degree return bung on the pan on the actual pass side of pan so the line doesn't have to go across the front of the pan towards the driver side. That would make returning oil on pass turbo so much easier. Have yet to be inside one of these motors so is there something around that area that would prevent us from doing that?

OveRBoreD

Established Member
The only thing I can think of on that passenger side front is the oil pickup where it connects to the oil pump. Don't know how much room all that takes up but I'm sure you can put a return somewhere around there. I think I'm going to put the drivers side at the front also. I'm going to try talking to Hellion and see what they have to say about why they placed the returns where they did. May be enlightening. I'm with you though; less line and straighter/more sloped path should be better.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Amsoil Sig Series 10w30 or Pennzoil Ultra 10w30. I got a case of the Pennzoil on sale for $3/quart so I'll be running that for the immediate future.

.030 jets. 0 oil. 10oz/30 seconds

2013 Hellion TT, standard precision 6266 JB turbos

Torchy

Established Member
I'm going to try talking to Hellion and see what they have to say about why they placed the returns where they did. May be enlightening. I'm with you though; less line and straighter/more sloped path should be better.

Exactly my thoughts. Let us know what they say.

Amsoil Sig Series 10w30 or Pennzoil Ultra 10w30. I got a case of the Pennzoil on sale for $3/quart so I'll be running that for the immediate future.

.030 jets. 0 oil. 10oz/30 seconds

2013 Hellion TT, standard precision 6266 JB turbos

Good looking stats there. I hear the penn ultra is good stuff. You stole it at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread