Oil for a DMP built motor and Whipple supercharger?

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Well its winter time here, and time to change the oil on the truck after break in :D

which means its in the high 70s during the day, and high 50s at night.

So as for the engine, what oil do you recommend, and we do not have Royal purple over here...

As for the 3.4, I noticed Im a lil low on fluid, EDIT:(didnt realize that whipple provides the amount of oil for the blower NOT DMP) dont think WHIPPLE sent enough when the blower was shipped. What should I buy to top off? Will the factory Ford fluid be alright? Also heard that GM supercharger oil is good for the eatons too, but how about the Whipple?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
The S/C oil sold by Ford and GM for their Eaton charged vehicles is the same stuff, but GM dealerships sell it for much less. It is also the same oil used in the Whipples (at least in the 2.3 so I don't see why the 3.4 would be any different).

The part# is on the bottle:

sc_oil2.jpg

fuelonempty

Established Member
Sounds good, I was hoping it would be the same for the blowers..

How about engine oil?? what do you guys recommend?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ask your engine builder what viscosity he recommends. As for brands, what do you have available? If I couldn't get Royal Purple I'd use Mobil 1.

fuelonempty

Established Member
yeah mobil one is readily available. Maybe FFS can chime in on the thread.

dizzygoat

Established Member
a great site you learn about oils, and read testimonies is Bob Is The Oil Guy

Dont let any one person tell you what to run, because temperature plays a big role in the viscosity required.

you want the lowest first number like 5w possible without going too low, because that is the weight of the oil after its at running temp. the second number 30 is the weight at startup, which you kind of want it to be high, but not too high, cause if its too thin then you will be having dry starts which is worse for your engine than ANY 1/4 mile pass could ever be.
correct me if im wrong, i may have got the numbers backwards, but one is for start-up weight, and the other operating temp. weight.
hope this helps.

Last edited:

dizzygoat

Established Member
I believe everyone should go to Bobs site and read, because you may think you know, but come to find out you've been in the dark this whole time. Those guys break down oil for a living, and when i say break down i mean in a laboratory finding out EVERY additive and what its purpose does.
Trust me, some of you WILL be surprised what you learn, and for Royal Purple, not so good reviews on that site, not that its bad but there are WAY better oils for cheaper.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
As Travis already stated, I'd find out what Dante recommends and use that. Bob didn't build Khalids engine and Bob won't help if anything should happen to it.

dizzygoat

Established Member
you're right, but Dante probably knows little about oils itself, sure he has his preferences but thats neither here nor there. You see, i didnt recommend an oil, because like everyone else in this thread im no expert. I just simply stated he should learn about oils in general before he goes off and puts something in just because "so and so" said to.
Dante is a builder, tuner, whatever he may be, not an oil guy which im sure he will testify to.
Did you even go to the link? That is a VERY informative site, with people that do that shit for a living.
Ask Dante, AND go to Bobs site and read about the oil he recommends, if then you feel secure with what he recommends by all means use it!
Im just helping educate him, and possibly others.

EDIT: you could've simply said ask Dante, rather than discredit my reference like im giving bad advice when in all reality you did nothing more than mimmic another persons suggestion. No hard feelings, i just feel like you're taking a shot at me with the whole "bob this and bob that" stuff, which wasnt necessary by any means. Cause its not like i said "use pennzoil cause Bob said so, i just said go check it out, and that Royal Purple isnt all its cracked out to be, not for the price at least. Good day RIDE the, and again no hard feelings:beer::beer:
ive had the worst week ever, and its not getting any better /rant

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
you're right, but Dante probably knows little about oils itself, sure he has his preferences but thats neither here nor there. You see, i didnt recommend an oil, because like everyone else in this thread im no expert. I just simply stated he should learn about oils in general before he goes off and puts something in just because "so and so" said to.
Dante is a builder, tuner, whatever he may be, not an oil guy which im sure he will testify to.
Did you even go to the link? That is a VERY informative site, with people that do that shit for a living.
Ask Dante, AND go to Bobs site and read about the oil he recommends, if then you feel secure with what he recommends by all means use it!
Im just helping educate him, and possibly others.

EDIT: you could've simply said ask Dante, rather than discredit my reference like im giving bad advice when in all reality you did nothing more than mimmic another persons suggestion. No hard feelings, i just feel like you're taking a shot at me with the whole "bob this and bob that" stuff, which wasnt necessary by any means. Cause its not like i said "use pennzoil cause Bob said so, i just said go check it out, and that Royal Purple isnt all its cracked out to be, not for the price at least. Good day RIDE the, and again no hard feelings:beer::beer:
ive had the worst week ever, and its not getting any better /rant

Well, I'm very sorry to hear that you have had a bad week. I hope it gets better for you.

I never said that you recommended a certain type of oil or product. I (like you) didn't recommend anyting either.

I never said my comment to discredit you or the information that you offered in anyway. I made my comment about Bob not being his engine builder as simple referrence to the fact that Bob in fact did not build Khalids enigine and he has no knowledge of it's internal components, and if for some reason there is an issue with Kahlids motor shortly down the road I highly doubt that Bob is going to do anything to help Khalid out no matter how much knowledge Bob has about oil. Is the likelyhood high very high that there will be issue with anything due to oil viscosity choice? I highly doubt it, but if you lived halfway around the world from your engine builder..........who would you listen to? You, me, Dante and most everyone else on here are not experts when it comes to oil and oil suppliers. But, Dante is the only one that will have any dealings with Khalid should there be an issue with his DMP engine.

Builders are picky and they have every right to be. Every builder has different ways of doing things concerning their own individuial break in procedures for the engines that they provide to their customers. I (like Travis) just suggested that Khalid check with Dante since he would have the best idea of what parts are installed inside his engine.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Try not to make it so personal.

fuelonempty

Established Member
thanks for the help man, guess I'm all set to start getting her ready to get beat on....

you guys ready for some lightning vs. supercar vids?

FordFanStan

Established Member
Sorry, I have been extremely busy this week with finals and haven't been on here much, not to mention Im sick as a dog with the flu or strep throat or something.

Khalid, how many miles are on the engine first? No one can answer this question without knowing further details. Have you made any oil and filter changes prior? Stan

fuelonempty

Established Member
Sorry to hear your down and out Stan, hope you get better soon. Just replied to your PM and answered all the questions you asked..

Is it bad if I used Motorcraft oil, same as the stock engine uses for the first 1300 miles or so?? I understand it is a semi syn?? should I be worried? Dante had told me no syn oil way back when, didnt realize that meant semi was a no go as well.

Users who are viewing this thread