Oil Filter stuck...

mth180

Established Member
So I decided I would change the oil in the cobras yesterday. Everything went well with the convertible. Then I started to do the coupe. I drained the oil out and went to remove the oil filter and it was stuck. I used an oil filter wrench and all it did was dent the can. I'm lost on how I should try and get it off. This was the first time I went to change the oil on the coupe so I didn't realize how tough it was going to be to get the oil filter off.

Does anyone have any Ideas on how I can get the oil filter off? Thanks in advance guys :beer:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This will be messy, but it works.

Stick a screwdriver through the filter, and turn it off.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well, either get a buddy with a grip like King Kong to come over, or possibly try the old screw driver through the heart and twist technique. That's one of my biggest pet peeves when buying a used car is how tight some of these can be on sometime. My daughter just bought an 07' Escape and it took me 5 minutes and a bucket of sweat to get the freakin filter off.

HotRodRedNeck

Established Member
yep, same thing I was gonna say. I just did the first oil change on my 08 Spor ttrac and the factory filter was on there with gorilla grip!!!..lol

mth180

Established Member
Thanks for the idea guys! I'm going to go and try it now. I'll let you know how it goes.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
screwdriver, yeah thats the way, it works too if you cant get the drain plug off the pan. just drive a screwdriver thru the bottom of pan and drain oil. plug it with some gum or jb weld or a wood plug works. they make several different filter tools. one of them will get it

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I hear ya guys... been there done that with the 1st filter change of a few cars I have had lol...

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
need one of these

oil%20filter%20wrench.jpg

pkwest

Established Member
Make sure the screwdriver penetrates completely through the filter. If it only goes through one side, it probably will just tear the metal. Next time get a K&N filter. Not only is it a far superior filter it is also a much thicker gauge steel and has a 1" nut on the end. Also make sure you didn't loosen the oil cooler. When I bought my cobra with 35,000 miles and only serviced by the stealer, the shaft was finger tight at best.

Last edited:

mth180

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestion guys it worked! Took a little blood and sweat but I finally popped the sucker off. Now the cobras are all ready for spring to come :beer:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Next time try a system-1 filter. It is aluminum, cleanable for inspection and filters better than a replaceable filter. They work great. I have one on my service vehicle and cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread