Oil Filter Relocation?

pwnyryd

Established Member
For the GT500 drivers that have relocated oil filters: What kit did you use, and where did you relocate the filter? Have anyone gone with dual filters?

Thanks!

Coosawjack

Established Member
Keep in mind the more "plumbing" you add the more pressure you lose!!:(

I lost 15 PSI when I remoted mine in my 2004 Marauder.......not bad until hot Idle was <10PSI......normally 20-25 PSI......made me uncomfortable so I removed the remote!!:eek:

einehund

Established Member
Can't speak for the OP, but I hate the oil spillage that happens on the K-member when doing an oil change and dropping the filter. I've been wanting to do a relocation as well.

pwnyryd

Established Member
Why? Because why not. After my first GT500 oil change all I could think was "There has to be a better way". I tried using an oil extraction pump but evidently there's an anti-slosh baffle or something in the oil pan, so I was only able to get a little over 2 qts out that way. (Still, 2 less quarts to drain and slosh around in a drip pan) I can see the usefulness of replacing the drain plug with a valve you can put a hose on. The next issue is the filter location, and the fact that it does not drain until you remove it. I've read all the tricks and tips people use to outsmart the Ford engineers and keep hot oil off your undercarriage and driveway, fair enough. Ugh. What year is this?

I've seen a dozen good-looking relocation kits the they seem to make sense, IF you can find a good location to mount the filter AND keep the lines short. I've never seen one on a GT500, so (to the points raised above) I wasn't sure if it was practical. I put about 10K miles on her annually, so I'd like to get it done as easy and cleanly as possible. If possible. Thanks for your comments!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the kit from the 3 letter company that I'm planning on running when my car goes back together, it deletes the cooler and relocates the filter.

One thing worth mentioning is a problem that some people on the Facebook group just came across. The coolant outlet on the front of the OEM cooler/filter bracket hits the sway bar as the motor mounts wear down over time. A guy on Facebook has cracked at least one of them, and I looked at mine the other day and sure enough something had been pushing on the bottom of the outlet and it had bend marks from where it had started bending up. Just something to be aware of.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
When ever I change my oil I put a piece of tin foil in the area below the filter to catch the oil spilling from the filter. works well with no oil on the driveway or k member. For a fact, last time I just used a shopping bag with the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread