Oil Filter change

XP900

Established Member
If you use the Ford Racing filters how often are you changing the filter with the oil. I put about 4K - 5K on between oil changes and was changing the filter with the oil every time. I'm starting to think its overkill and should push it to at least 2 oil changes or once a year...since I put about 8K on a year now. Car is only street driven.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would not personally go beyond the one oil change. I haven't done that in decades. To me, an oil change means an oil/filter change. Filters are not that expensive. I would bet the majority of folks here change their filter when they change the oil. Instead, consider changing the oil/filter every 6K miles vs. 4K-5K miles. Especially if the engine isn't seeing extending non-running times like when in storage. Do you store you car over the winter months? I see you're in NY. I would then change the oil/filter in the Spring after it comes out of storage.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Ford Racing oil filters and Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 motor oil, and I change the oil and filter once a year, every Spring. I drive it for pleasure year round, weather permitting (no storage). It has been a while since I racked up 5000 miles in one year, but I would easily extend it to 7500 miles based on the appearance of the oil when I drain it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
For what you’re paying the oem motorcraft filters filter better at a fraction of the cost. Fall prior to storage or spring before you’ll drive; doesn’t really make a difference. Personally the preferred is up to you. If you change the oil you really should change the filter.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Ford Racing oil filters and Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 motor oil, and I change the oil and filter once a year, every Spring. I drive it for pleasure year round, weather permitting (no storage). It has been a while since I racked up 5000 miles in one year, but I would easily extend it to 7500 miles based on the appearance of the oil when I drain it.
and based on the weather in your area, your not gonna get any miles this week :ROFLMAO:

XP900

Established Member
For what you’re paying the oem motorcraft filters filter better at a fraction of the cost. Fall prior to storage or spring before you’ll drive; doesn’t really make a difference. Personally the preferred is up to you. If you change the oil you really should change the filter.
Good point....I see that I can buy a fleet box of 12 oem filters for $40! will probably go back to them and change the oil every 4-5K....oil/filter change will be pretty cheap at $45

Rocketir

Established Member
Good point....I see that I can buy a fleet box of 12 oem filters for $40! will probably go back to them and change the oil every 4-5K....oil/filter change will be pretty cheap at $45
What oil are you using? I am still on the Motorcraft 5-50 and it will run me close to $100 in material costs.

XP900

Established Member
What oil are you using? I am still on the Motorcraft 5-50 and it will run me close to $100 in material costs.
I only use Mobile 1 in all my cars since it is easy to buy. For the GT500 I use Mobile 1 5W-50....I buy a lot of quarts when on sale at Napa for $6 (right now). I only use 6.5 quarts in the 2010,,,never saw any real document telling me to up it to 7...and I was using Ford Racing filters but when they run out I am switching back to the standard Motorcraft FL820s which are $3.2 at rockauto.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I hate that i wasted all that amsoil for it to just sit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What if the car hasnt been driven since the last oil change, a year ago. Maybe 20 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
On a side not I’ve done something similar but sent the oil in for analysis and they said it was still like new. Also Amsoil.
The only way I’d consider not changing filter every time would be if it’s 800mi. not 8000mi! OP said 8k/year so I’d 110% day change filter every time.
I still always recommend the oil analysis once you settle into a routine with use of the car and oil.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread