Oil cooler upgrade? Heater core replacement

cnnrlck

Established Member
My oil cooler is leaking now that my car has been fired up, we temporarily fixed it, but is there an upgrade? It will be a dd and weekend OT car, along with some drag time. Please link me to any suggestions, search left me with mixed answers..

My heater core is also bad, how big of a job is it to replace?

racebronco2

Established Member
You need to remove the whole dash to replace the heater core. It takes two people to remove it from the car so that you don't scratch the trim pieces.

cnnrlck

Established Member
You need to remove the whole dash to replace the heater core. It takes two people to remove it from the car so that you don't scratch the trim pieces.

Ok thank you, and with your experience in events has the stock oil cooler been sufficient? You definitely have done a lot with you car from what i've seen

JrSVT

Established Member
You may want to make sure that the o-rings in the oil cooler are ok. I've had mine start leaking because the center stud that holds the oil cooler to the block loosened up and as the car would heat up and cool down the metals would swell and shrink. This caused my o-rings to get pinched and thats where the leak came from.

O-rings are cheap, just take the old ones to a Tractor Supply or any basic hardware store and they can find the correct size for you. I think I spent less than $2 for my o-rings. I've been leak free going on 4 years now.

Jr.

racebronco2

Established Member
Ok thank you, and with your experience in events has the stock oil cooler been sufficient? You definitely have done a lot with you car from what i've seen

I don't have the stock cooler anymore. I believe it not a cooler, it's an oil warmer. With the amount of oil we have the car gets warmed up much faster than the oil does. At operating temps yes it's a cooler. With my cooling mods, the oil temps are alot cooler now, i don't look at my oil temps anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread