Oil cooler leaking?????

smallville

Established Member
Has anyone ever experienced a drip coming from their oil cooler? My '99 cobra started this the other day. There is a "pinhole" located on the bottom about 1/4 inch from where it mates to the adapter plate on the engine. It's not a crack in the cooler, it is actually a drilled hole. The gaskets on both sides of the cooler are dry. It is definitely leaking from this "pinhole". In all the cobras I have been around, I have NEVER experienced oil dripping from the cooler assembly. Is there a check valve in there that went bad? Is it designed as some type of blow-off in case the oiling system gets plugged?? Anyone have any ideas/answers.

01vert

Established Member
Common, see above, mentioned about once every two weeks on this board.

smallville

Established Member
Well, it was pretty snug. I gave in and pulled the cooler assembly off. I found the 0-ring on the INSIDE of the cooler had split and pushed up into the checkvalve. A picture would be worth 1000 words here (sorry the digital came is nowhere handy).
On the side that meets the block, there is 6 holes surrounding a big hole. Just on the other side of that, looks to be where the pressed in piece meets the housing, is this o-ring that cracked. Didn't know there was any kind of gasket inside the cooler assembly. I have NEVER seen this happen so go figure, it happens to me.......lol

01cobradude2

Established Member
I think this may be the case with my 01. It just bearly drips when running and then I let the car sit for 3 months and it had about a quart of oil sitting under it from it leaking while the car was parked. Smallville where you able to get the o rings and gaskets from the dealer? Did you get a part #?

Last edited:

smallville

Established Member
The only way Ford can help you is with a new cooler assmebly.....Something around $500. I made a few phone calls and got a housing of a stripped motor from a friend. Be careful, I found the older style(pre '99) is slightly different (mounting bolt size changes). So I cheated and took it apart and swapped the gaskets inside. Hasn't leaked since. Good luck bud.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Just an FYI for those who don't have a 1/2" allen handy: I just jammed two nuts together on a ~2" bolt w/a 1/2" head and it worked nicely. I'm all about acquiring tools but to go out and buy a 1/2" allen to use once or twice seems like a waste.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Ford sells the gaskets and o-rings. If your local Ford dealer tried to sell you an entire assembly, I'd find another dealer. If you need a good contact, call Steve that advertises on here or PM me for my contacts. They will ship nationwide as well.

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
Wow mine leaks too..
Why does this happen? It seems like 2 days after i notice it leaking i am replacing crank bearings!!

seal/sac15

mine too!

Hello, My 01 cobra is leaking at the oil cooler pin hole as well. Where can I get the parts? Our local dealership wants $500.00 to fix.

seal/sac15 in Va

Users who are viewing this thread