Oil Change in the Eaton

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I have a Posi Ported Eaton, and I have not changed the oil in it since I reassembled it. Posi sent me the oil for it but did not specify what it was. It is an eaton M-112, sees spirited driving and occassional track use. I am a firm user of RP products. What RP do you recommend for it?

oldmodman

Established Member
Just go to your local GM dealer and buy a bottle of their supercharger oil. It's the cheapest place to get it and it the same oil that Eaton loads in at the factory.

As far as I know there is no Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline equivalent.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just go to your local GM dealer and buy a bottle of their supercharger oil. It's the cheapest place to get it and it the same oil that Eaton loads in at the factory.

As far as I know there is no Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline equivalent.

The reason Eaton recommends NOT using a conventional or synthetic oil in the blowers is because the GM/Ford/ Eaton supercharger "oil" is a glycol based high temp lube. Look at the MSDS sheet. It is a PAG oil.

Glycol based oils/lubes are generally not compatible or misible with hydrocarbon oils. They do not mix.
Residual amounts of the original fluid can be a problem if they are not completely cleaned/flushed out first before using a hydrocarbon based oil.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/osp/pdf/L104...be_Tech_v2.PDF

If you have the snout off and can clean it out well with brake clean or something else that will leave no residue you should be ok.

Assuming you have selected an appropriate high performance high temperature synthetic oil replacement, that is also the correct viscosity for the application's rpm.

You can also do a simple drain and fill if you do it twice, this will get most of the PAG glycol based lube out.

We recommend Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle) or better yet Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 (part #01021, quart bottle). These oils are not regular motor oils, they both provide between three and four times the film strength of other oils including the original PAG factory fill Eaton oil, and will live in this high temperature environment.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Thanks Jimmy. I'm not sure what Posi sent, but it was in a clear bottle and appeared to be motor oil as it was a golden color. If I remeber correctly, I think he had posted that he used Mobil 1 Synthetic. I will probably just go with the RP and make sure I do a thorough flush/fill-flush/fill.

Users who are viewing this thread