Oil catch can or pcv mod?

bmgstang

What mod do you guys do to stop the oil in the intake problem? I was going to install an inline oil catch can but I ran across the pcv mod. Then I ran across somebodys thread saying ford must've put in a two way valve on purpose to suck a little oil into the engine to keep the supercharger lubricated. He says this must be true because all the lightnings that come into his shop that have oily intakes have excellent condition superchargers and the ones that eliminate all oil in the intake have worn superchargers. I'm lost, what do you guys recommend?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's not done to lube the blower, it was a cost cutting issue. I use a catch can setup. I wish JLT would come out with an oil separator kit for the Lightning.

Robert Francis

Established Member
There's no evidence that the Eaton blower needs "lubrication." Also, oil that enters the intake system and mixes with air being drawn in for combustion, lowers the overall octane rating of the fuel being used, and that's not a good thing especially in a supercharged engine.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There's no evidence that the Eaton blower needs "lubrication." Also, oil that enters the intake system and mixes with air being drawn in for combustion, lowers the overall octane rating of the fuel being used, and that's not a good thing especially in a supercharged engine.

Especially in a supercharged engine with weak rods and no knock sensors.

lvgolfer962

Established Member
Ive been running a amw catch can for a few years and have had the blower off numerous times for porting and what not. It will still pull a little oil from the drivers side.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Go with the L&S separator kit, it's the best one out there and the only one that truly returns the oil to the crankcase. Also, it's probably a good idea to reroute the PCV system to something like this:
o3XLU.jpg

This is my setup as it stands, the separator isn't all that great, but it's better than the stock setup:
iWf61.jpg

The L&S will be even better because it'll pull all the oil from the airstream and dump it back into the valve cover thru the oil cap. You don't have to have the check valve, but it does stop any flow reversal under boost, which is why you see oil in the intake boot.

Dusten

Established Member
I have deleted mine before, but the ****ing smell was terrible. I'd run the L&S

Users who are viewing this thread