Oh So Close....

TORQJNKY

I think something is amiss with your conversions. You've got about 135hp more with the standard numbers. I don't think 590hp as corrected as it could be, could ever = 700+.

Posi, I think you might have misread his graphs or got them confused with FlaSeaDudes numbers. His first graph is 690 SAE Smooting 5 and the highest is 731 Uncorrected Smoothing 0 for a total of 41HP difference between all the settings vice 135HP.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I just want to post a disclaimer saying my replies were in no way a downer to the OP. His car's running strong as hell for the mods and I'm not attempting to take anything away from that. Someone simply asked a question that doesn't seem to get answered to often here, so I posted it up. It's easy to get caught up in the number game, we might as well all understand what the differences are.

I've got DynoJet sheets that read "CF: SAE Smooting: 0". It's SAE but since it is "0", is that the same as uncorrected or does it just use current atmosphereic conditions and not take into consideration the effects of the temperature, humidity and atmospheric pressure on that day. From the read it looks like this means no correction factor applied.

No, you're still using the correction factor, just not smoothing the line. The dyno takes sample points at a certain time interval and then calculates the HP that way. They connect the dots (Which represent each time a sample point was taken) to make a straight line. Well the lines aren't always so straight, they can be jagged up and down. Smoothing simply takes this and evens it out to a better looking, more realistic graph. Take a look between the smoothing example on 0 I posted, and the ones above on 5.

^Oops I was wondering what in the heck was going on. Brain fart again.

No problem. While it wasn't 140+ HP difference, it was a 40HP difference. Still pretty substantial. I'm not doing anything except changing the parameters in the Dynojet software for my one run file.

iflyagfour

Established Member
Nice numbers man. I think you will see 600 no sweat. I am going to do a little more tuning and head back to the dyno with your old setup. We shall see!! Congrats again!

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Nice! :rockon:

How was your FPDC with the new set up?

The fuel system worked like a champ. In all the excitement :)lol1:), I forgot to ask Tony about the duty cycle for the pumps. But, I'll be sure to have him datalog this info the next time I go back. :read:

Congrats dude. Hows it feel? A lot stronger than the poreted eaton?

Definitely! The torque comes on like a freight train and it's very easy to spin the tires while rolling at +40 MPH (although I only tried it a couple of times on the way home from the dyno).... :rockon:

STD, SAE, who the hell cares! Great #'s and congrats on having a truely bad ass street car. Now go to the track and get the numbers that really count, the one's the dyno haters can't deny ;-)

Thanks! :beer: I'm only using the dyno numbers as a benchmark and 600 was simply my target. If the final outcome was 601 or 599, it wouldn't really make a difference (other than the "ego" factor :lol1:). I plan to take it to Gainesville soon before the temps hit the 80s on a regular basis and then I'll have some "real" numbers to post... :beer:

Congrats, bet it pulls like hell! :rockon:

Yep, like a freight train...:rockon:

Nice numbers FleaSeaDude now get that baby to the track before it really warms up down there.

That's the plan!!!:beer:

Congrats.I`m so jealous!

Thanks. I'm sure a TS is in your future also... :bowdown:

I just want to post a disclaimer saying my replies were in no way a downer to the OP. His car's running strong as hell for the mods and I'm not attempting to take anything away from that. Someone simply asked a question that doesn't seem to get answered to often here, so I posted it up. It's easy to get caught up in the number game, we might as well all understand what the differences are...

No problemo. I discussed this same topic with Tony while he was tuning the car and he actually showed me the effects of the different settings on the computer screen. I totally agree it's best if we all understand the significance of the numbers being posted... :read:

very nice! i cant wait to get one

Yep, they're definitely worth the wait... :banana:

Nice numbers man. I think you will see 600 no sweat. I am going to do a little more tuning and head back to the dyno with your old setup. We shall see!! Congrats again!

Thanks! :beer: I'm glad you're happy with my old Eaton setup. It looks like you'll easily eclipse the numbers from when I had it on my Cobra. :thumbsup:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Congrats on the numbers, maybe I'll see your car here in Gainesville...awewome color! I noticed the tuner graphed the boost on your run, how do they get the data for that...where is the vacuum/boost signal pulled from? I've had a few dyno pulls here in G-ville on the Rollins DynoJet but never knew we could get the boost values too.

RussZTT

Established Member
Looks good Russ! Tony is a good guy, known him for going on 15 years. Last time I was up there, told him lets strap him to the dyno and see what his chair puts out :lol:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Looks good Russ! Tony is a good guy, known him for going on 15 years. Last time I was up there, told him lets strap him to the dyno and see what his chair puts out :lol:

Thanks, Russ. Yea, IMHO TonY G is Da Man when it comes to tuning. I really like the fact that I can drive out of the shop and have a extremely high level of confidence in the way he tuned the car. :thumbsup:

He told me he starts physical therapy in 2 more weeks and will then have to start putting weight on his leg...:eek:

Hopefully, you'll get your's back together soon so you can make some of the local cruise-ins... :beer:

RussZTT

Established Member
Thanks, Russ. Yea, IMHO TonY G is Da Man when it comes to tuning. I really like the fact that I can drive out of the shop and have a extremely high level of confidence in the way he tuned the car. :thumbsup:

He told me he starts physical therapy in 2 more weeks and will then have to start putting weight on his leg...:eek:

Hopefully, you'll get your's back together soon so you can make some of the local cruise-ins... :beer:
Sounds like a plan!! I can't wait, May will be a year. :nonono:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
sounds great sea dude, whats your best time on the track so far?

I haven't made it there yet. It's taken me 2+ years to get the car ready (Whipple + supporting mods, RAM dual disc clutch, 26-spline input shaft, Bruce's IRS bushing kit, Level 5 half shafts and Steeda lowering springs). So, I'm planning on making some trips there this Spring just as soon as I get some DRs (and hopefully before the air temps get really high)... :beer:

Lord Warlock

Established Member
I can relate, 48 years old, never been on a track myself, plan on going this summer to hold up the honor of mustangs against imports so will have to try it out soon. I figure i'll probably pulley and tune the car in April, as prep to put in a good showing. I keep telling myself i'll follow mmjax over to gainesville sometime but never do. I would have thought you'd been to a track by now though, it seems the only place to measure what each mod actually does (can't do it on the street if you want to avoid tickets). I don't think i'd want to try out a car capable of 10s on my first trip to a track...i'd be happy with low 12s.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Well I made it back to the dyno today armed with some race gas and regapped plugs. During the first partial pull, the clutch slipped so my tuner adjusted it with my Fiore firewall adjuster. The second pull resulted in 597 RWHP. The third pull resulted in 607 RWHP with 557 ft lbs of torque.

On the 3rd run the timing was at 21 degrees and the tune was very conservative with A/F around 11.5. My numbers probably could have been a little higher, but my IAT temps were up about 20 degrees from my first pull. Not the numbers I was hoping for, but at least I managed to break the magic 600 RWHP barrier.... :dancenana:

2405424Apr09Dyno2.jpg

fr03cobra

Established Member
re

sweet, I plan on getting mine redynoed since I had headers put on after my 612 run.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread