Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NuclearPower

Established Member
The add 7 quarts is a typo. I did not add any oil in the 5000 mile interval. I plan on going to a 7500 mile interval for this next sample then I will send that in too. Thanks for the review!:beer:

NuclearPower

Established Member
What, no love anymore, no update to the excel spreadsheet, no added smurf blue color. Pimp daddy must be hurting...:rolling:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for everyone's patience. I finally had an opportunity to update the UOA chart in the first post of this thread, page #1.

It contains everything that has been submitted to date. This thing is getting big.

Base green color samples are random UOAs waiting for a follow up.

Other "like" color groupings are samples taken from the same engine.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Nice work UB, I'll send you my report on the AmsOil 10w30 when I get it, sadly it won't be until summer though.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nice work UB, I'll send you my report on the AmsOil 10w30 when I get it, sadly it won't be until summer though.

No worries, time will past faster than you think.

I will be taking another sample from my car on Friday. I put another 2,500 miles on the current fill of 10W-30 and will be a total of 4,500 miles on this fill.

Updates after the first of the week.

srt10ram

The Little 2v That Could
Established Member
Which of the Amsoil Oils would y'all recommend for a pulley-CAI-tune GT500 (w/o cooling mods). I've been using 5w-50 motorcraft. I'm thinking Amsoil 10w-40.... Need some help.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Troy - I just spent about 15 mins on the Amsoil site looking for a spec sheet on the 10w-40 to see if it meets ilsac gf-5 specs. I was unable to find the info.

Do you have any link to share?

This oil:
AMSOIL SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil (AMO) Product Code: AMOQT-EA

This is why I'm looking:
http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7168_42_43_BP_Synthetic_Blend_MO_PB.pdf

http://www.penngrade1.com/CMSFiles/File/March 2011_E85_TECH_LETTER_BRAD_PENN.pdf

I am going to contact Amsoil directly to better answer your question.

Until then....

Fuel Injected engines do not suffer from Fuel dilution like Carbureted engines do. I've yet to see a UOA from a Ford Modular that's fuel injected have any fuel dilution issues.

What short block are you currently using, stock or built? Iron or Aluminum?

What thermostat? Stock 192*F or Resiche 170*F?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is a built aluminum short block 5.4L Shelby running E85 @ the 700+ rwhp level. This lubricant was used for 5,000 miles and is only the second oil fill after the initial 1,500 mile break in. Wear metals are elevated due to the after break in flush and miles on the lubricant. Viscosity sheared ~10% and fuel dilution is less than .5%

TBN - detergent additives are strong, even after 5,000 miles.

No warning signs here, and this oil was used hard.

7bf0d5f6.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The latest UOA report using Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in my 2009 GT500 iron block setup. 680-700 rwhp estimated, driven hard.

833486ac.jpg

I realized one goof up made when filling out the paperwork for the oil sample. The oil wasn't changed, but I forgot to add the previous interval and the current interval together. Total miles on the current fill is 4,389 miles (2,130 + 2,259) not 2,259 miles. DEE DEE DEE on me. No worries, I submitted a request to the lab for error correction. Not that it matters to me.

Wear Metals: This sample @ 4,389 miles looks slightly better than the previous sample of 10W-40 @ 4,124 miles. Both are in the same ballpark and in the margin of error, so it's a tie in my book. This shows that wear metals will be nearly identical no matter if you are using 10W-30 or 10W-40. However, both lubricants are resulting in the best wear on the UOA chart on page #1.

Silicon: Odd, silicon decreased slightly in 2,159 miles. Very odd, but most likely it's the same. Testing fluctuations may be the answer for showing it lower than before. The good news is, air filtration is doing its job.

Moly & Boron: Moly is an anti-wear additive used in the newer formulations of Signature Series to compensate for lower levels of ZDDP. Boron is a detergent/dispersant additive used in greater concentrations in Signature Series. Why is the lab flagging these as abnormal? Guess they do not have virgin analysis of the newer formulations yet. Amsoil 10W-40 doesn't have very much of these additives, as it's a high ZDDP formulation. My engine is a testament that higher levels of ZDDP are not required when the additive package is a robust formulation using other compensation additives.

Manganese: Evidence that I have been using Torco in the past. Oops! :rockon:

Viscosity: This lubricant has not sheared at all documenting why I tell car owners to sacrifice cold flow ability if you live in a warm climate (or only drive your car in warmer spring, summer, fall weather). It's not required, and by doing so....you gain shear stability and lower NOACK Volatility (lower evaporation/burn off). No oil was added between samples.

TBN (detergent additives): Still going strong. After 4,389 miles...it's just under 5. This lubricant is still suitable for continued use, and I will run it for 2,000 more miles and sample again. However, the 1 year mark is near. That means it's almost time to change. This will be the last 2,000 mile interval on this fill. I referenced my previous fill of 10W-40, the second testing interval had a much higher TBN. This is due to accumulating miles more rapidly then compared to now. Oil sitting in the sump not being driven still takes away from TBN. That's why any lubricant manufacturer will say, "This lubricant is good for X,XXX miles or X time, whichever occur first".

So far, this lubricant is doing a fine job. Far better than anything else we have seen. Those who are using Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40, good for you. Those who are not, try it, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I am going to contact Amsoil directly to better answer your question.

Until then....

Fuel Injected engines do not suffer from Fuel dilution like Carbureted engines do. I've yet to see a UOA from a Ford Modular that's fuel injected have any fuel dilution issues.

What short block are you currently using, stock or built? Iron or Aluminum?

What thermostat? Stock 192*F or Resiche 170*F?

Missed this reply till now.

Thanks Troy

Its a L&M built motor, iron block, stock thermostat.

Did Amsoil ever get back to you on the specs?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Missed this reply till now.

Thanks Troy

Its a L&M built motor, iron block, stock thermostat.

Did Amsoil ever get back to you on the specs?

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 can't meet GF-4 or 5 specifications for reasons that make sense. It surpasses all tests for high temp. deposits, foaming, sludge, varnish, volatility, shear stability, rust test, and wear. However, there are things about the formulation that will not allow it to meet GF-4 or 5 specifications.

2.f Fuel Efficiency: Only 20 and 30 grade lubricants are considered to be fuel efficient.

3.a Catalyst compatibility: Phosphorous content can't exceed 800 ppm. Amsoil AMO 10W-40 has ~1400 ppm.

The TBN content of Amsoil AMO 10W-40 is more than capable of dispersing any E85 dilution you may encounter. You are a prime candidate to submit UOA reports for your engine.

The way you drive the car, dropping to a 170* thermostat and Amsoil RD30 changed frequently may be beneficial to you.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
with the E85 the car runs cooler - I don't think going to a 170* would benefit much - or maybe not even a good idea as the would run too cool. I'll ask the builder his view next time I talk to him

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
with the E85 the car runs cooler - I don't think going to a 170* would benefit much - or maybe not even a good idea as the would run too cool. I'll ask the builder his view next time I talk to him

That's a good point, I always seem to forget the cooling benefit with E85.

We need more pumps in Florida for it, or I will never be able to try it.

What does your coolant temps look like with the stock 192* thermostat?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

I agree with E85 use the stock tstat

Users who are viewing this thread