Official UOA thread with oil poll

What oil are you currently using in your Shelby 5.4L?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
i appreciate that good sir. also, can I run that all year or change it up during the summer?

My recommended oil change interval with Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40 is one year maximum time interval, not to exceed 15,000 miles annually. *If your oil change OCD will permit it, lol*

Most GT500 owners never drive that many miles in one year, so annual oil changes are common place.

Every car in my fleet only receives one oil change per year. The GT500 has been the exception in 2011 due to testing different viscosity lubricants, however...I'm back to once a year with this car too.

Last edited:

Buddah

Established Member
WOW! Once a year?! I've been changing every 3K, but now i might plan on changing every 6K with the Amsoil. i guess you could call it OCD but I just don't like my oil being in a motor for that long, especially doing some light to light pulls. And I don't know much about Amsoil. 1st time I heard about it was in this forum when I got my car. But thank you so much for your research and posting them up. I really appreciate it as well as a lot of people here.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
WOW! Once a year?! I've been changing every 3K, but now i might plan on changing every 6K with the Amsoil. i guess you could call it OCD but I just don't like my oil being in a motor for that long, especially doing some light to light pulls. And I don't know much about Amsoil. 1st time I heard about it was in this forum when I got my car. But thank you so much for your research and posting them up. I really appreciate it as well as a lot of people here.

I believe this thread has proven that even cheaper formulated lubricants can easily achieve a 3,000 mile oil change interval. California is currently pushing a huge public relation campaign showing residents there how the 3,000 mile oil change interval is a myth. They are encouraging the public to increase their oil change intervals to save money and preserve the environment.

You can perform a used oil analysis at 6,000 miles, but you will be surprised to what you find. The report will tell you the oil is suitable for continued use. The good news is, 6,000 mile oil changes are better than 3,000. ;-)

Troy

Last edited:

cjgt500

Established Member
To add to the dilema some OEM's are extending the intervals even further.

Take for instance BMW, my X5 with 4.4L twin turbo V8 interval is 15k mi or 1 year whichever is first. Now mind you some of that is being driven by the fact that a BMW within wty period maintenance is inclusive (free) but only within their prescribed intervals. They use Castrol synthetic 5W30 branded "BMW high performance oil". At almost 6,000 miles now and it is killing me not changing the oil. Will change it soon on my nickel just so I know the oil is fine. Will definitely have a sample to send to a lab since it is not on lease and want peace of mind.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Always run an oil analysis to get a baseline due to variances in your driving style (commute in traffic, weekend driver, drag/road race, etc), mods (none, TVS, Hellion etc), and environmental conditions (sandy, dusty, etc). An analysis will also tell you how far you can go between changes. Bear in mind you just need to send in a sample - you don't need to change the oil for an analysis and Blackstone only takes a day or two - they email you the results. Other companies sound just as expediant.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just sent you a pm with attached UOA's

2010kb

Thanks for all three of these samples Steve. It's good to have something new on the grid.

I would first like to point something out. This report looks almost identical to Amsoil's OAI reports when everyone here order kits directly from Amsoil. Like I've said before, Amsoil doesn't do the testing on any lubricant, it's outsourced to Polaris Labs, and they have multiple locations across America. Lubrication Engineers is part of Polaris' outsourcing program as well. I will never forget MobeyDick stating OAI was biased towards Amsoil. Ahh....the good ol's days! ;-)

First sample is the break in factory fill Motorcraft
Second sample is Castrol 5W-50
Third sample is Lubrication engineers 15W-40

b3cdfa38.jpg

Wear metals are consistent with everything we have seen before. No worries here.

Don't worry about the red flag on silicon, it's normal. Changing the oil is cleaning it out over time. This is left over leaching from sealers used to build the engine and cast parts. By the 4th-5th oil change, this number will have settled around the 20 ppm area.

Viscosity of the factory fill is abnormally low. I've seen this occur two other times. Still curious about this one, and I almost think this isn't 5W-50 Motorcraft. Maybe something in a 10W-30 grade break in oil.

Castrol 5W-50 sheared to a mid 40 grade, which is normal. Same as all previous samples of Castrol.

Lubrication Engineers 15W-40 is a light 40 grade lubricant in this sample. Factory specs taken from their website say the virgin lubricant is 16.1 cSt @ 100*F. Using this spec, the lubricant has sheared ~15%.

TBN of LE 15W-40 is depleted by ~54%. I don't have enough samples of this lubricant to guess at useable interval.

Overall, your latest sample is yet another nail in the coffin for 50 grade lubricant being used in the GT500. It's too viscous. My only gripe with LE 15W-40 is the extremely low viscosity index of 130 on their spec sheet. This stuff thickens really fast, more than any other sample I've seen from this engine. It's not a desirable trait in this engine.

LE 8800 15W-50 technical data pdf

Question, on the coldest days, did the engine seem sluggish on cold starts?

Last edited:

2010KB

sfd
Established Member
Thanks for all three of these samples Steve. It's good to have something new on the grid.

I would first like to point something out. This report looks almost identical to Amsoil's OAI reports when everyone here order kits directly from Amsoil. Like I've said before, Amsoil doesn't do the testing on any lubricant, it's outsourced to Polaris Labs, and they have multiple locations across America. Lubrication Engineers is part of Polaris' outsourcing program as well. I will never forget MobeyDick stating OAI was biased towards Amsoil. Ahh....the good ol's days! ;-)

First sample is the break in factory fill Motorcraft
Second sample is Castrol 5W-50
Third sample is Lubrication engineers 15W-40

b3cdfa38.jpg

Wear metals are consistent with everything we have seen before. No worries here.

Don't worry about the red flag on silicon, it's normal. Changing the oil is cleaning it out over time. This is left over leaching from sealers used to build the engine and cast parts. By the 4th-5th oil change, this number will have settled around the 20 ppm area.

Viscosity of the factory fill is abnormally low. I've seen this occur two other times. Still curious about this one, and I almost think this isn't 5W-50 Motorcraft. Maybe something in a 10W-30 grade break in oil.

Castrol 5W-50 sheared to a mid 40 grade, which is normal. Same as all previous samples of Castrol.

Lubrication Engineers 15W-40 is a light 40 grade lubricant in this sample. Factory specs taken from their website say the virgin lubricant is 16.1 cSt @ 100*F. Using this spec, the lubricant has sheared ~15%.

TBN of LE 15W-40 is depleted by ~54%. I don't have enough samples of this lubricant to guess at useable interval.

Overall, your latest sample is yet another nail in the coffin for 50 grade lubricant being used in the GT500. It's too viscous. My only gripe with LE 15W-40 is the extremely low viscosity index of 130 on their spec sheet. This stuff thickens really fast, more than any other sample I've seen from this engine. It's not a desirable trait in this engine.

LE 8800 15W-50 technical data pdf

Question, on the coldest days, did the engine seem sluggish on cold starts?

Not all, turned over just fine, was quite and did not notice any unusal sounds or sluggishness. coldest temp I turned it over was 38 degrees in my shop one morning.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
has anyone tried the mobil 1 5w-40 full syn or the 0w-40 full syn?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

I have a friend here that required an immediate oil change, and we used 0W-40 Mobil 1 in a pinch. After the year is up, and I change the oil....we get a sample if possible.

He only drives this car 1,500 miles per year, if that.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have a friend here that required an immediate oil change, and we used 0W-40 Mobil 1 in a pinch. After the year is up, and I change the oil....we get a sample if possible.

He only drives this car 1,500 miles per year, if that.

Ok well then maybe instead of rotella ill try the 5w-40 Mobil 1. Since your buddy is trying.out the 0w-40

6-Speed

Established Member
When I change the oil in my dad's Mercedes E350, I'll be putting in M1 5W-40 Formula M; it's only $6/qt at the local dealer. I'll send a sample in for a VOA when I buy the oil.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
When I change the oil in my dad's Mercedes E350, I'll be putting in M1 5W-40 Formula M; it's only $6/qt at the local dealer. I'll send a sample in for a VOA when I buy the oil.

Sounds good I just picked some up for around 5 bucks on sale but you had to buy 5 at a time so I got 10.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Amsoil UAO

Beast, I just emailed (I suck at posting pictures) you my Amsoil 10W-40 5000 mile UAO. Please share with the rest of the class. :rockon:

As always please give your run down of how it performed (pimp daddy):beer:

windsor202

Established Member
I'm running Mobil 1 0w-40. I changed out the factory oil on my 2012 at 4500 miles in November, now I have 6500 miles on it.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm running Mobil 1 0w-40. I changed out the factory oil on my 2012 at 4500 miles in November, now I have 6500 miles on it.

I'll be waiting to see the results. I picked up some Mobil 1 5w-40 an next oil check ill be trying it out.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast, I just emailed (I suck at posting pictures) you my Amsoil 10W-40 5000 mile UAO. Please share with the rest of the class. :rockon:

As always please give your run down of how it performed (pimp daddy):beer:

Thanks for sending me your sample, I appreciate your/everyone's contribution to the GT500 community.

e5b7a39a.jpg

Wear metal look great after 5,000 miles in this engine. These are typical wear numbers of 2,000 mile samples with lesser overall miles. You can tell that your engine is outside of the break in period, and should note the difference between sample #2 and #1. The more an engine ages, the more wear will decrease. A good lubricant helps this decrease. Anti-wear additives also look very strong and ready to go a much longer distance.

Silicon is still a tad high, but that's going to be down in the 20 ppm range on the next oil change. No worries there, we know it's not from poor filtration.

Viscosity at 13.4 cSt isn't alarming, you have to remember, this lubricant began life around 14.6 cSt. Amsoil 10W-40 AMO only sheared 8-9% over 5,000 miles in your engine. This is something MC 5W-50 could never accomplish, and consistency is a great thing.

TBN (detergent additives) looks great at this interval as well. This lubricant still had a good 8,000 miles left in it minimum if you pushed it to the max.

Ignore Oxidation and Nitration testing. Polaris Labs is failing with that part of the test. There is no consistency.

My only concern is.....

Your report states that you added 7 quarts between the oil change interval. I'm assuming this is a typo. No way your engine could consume that much oil in 5,000 miles. If it is....you have issues that need to be addressed.

*UPDATE* NuclearPower informed me that this is indeed a typo. He only used the original 6.5 quart fill with no additional added quarts during the interval.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks for sending me your sample, I appreciate your/everyone's contribution to the GT500 community.

e5b7a39a.jpg

Wear metal look great after 5,000 miles in this engine. These are typical wear numbers of 2,000 mile samples with lesser overall miles. You can tell that your engine is outside of the break in period, and should note the difference between sample #2 and #1. The more an engine ages, the more wear will decrease. A good lubricant helps this decrease. Anti-wear additives also look very strong and ready to go a much longer distance.

Silicon is still a tad high, but that's going to be down in the 20 ppm range on the next oil change. No worries there, we know it's not from poor filtration.

Viscosity at 13.4 cSt isn't alarming, you have to remember, this lubricant began life around 14.6 cSt. Amsoil 10W-40 AMO only sheared 8-9% over 5,000 miles in your engine. This is something MC 5W-50 could never accomplish, and consistency is a great thing.

TBN (detergent additives) looks great at this interval as well. This lubricant still had a good 8,000 miles left in it minimum if you pushed it to the max.

Ignore Oxidation and Nitration testing. Polaris Labs is failing with that part of the test. There is no consistency.

My only concern is.....

Your report states that you added 7 quarts between the oil change interval. I'm assuming this is a typo. No way your engine could consume that much oil in 5,000 miles. If it is....you have issues that need to be addressed.

Always good info beast.

Dandy

Established Member
Beast, I am planning on changing out my oil this spring. I have been using Schaeffer's 5W-50, would you be interested in receiving a sample from me? I would not send it in for analysis myself, but I would be more than happy to send you a sample, if you wanted it tested.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Always good info beast.

Thank you sir. I'm here to support the best online Mustang community on the interwebz! :beer:

Beast, I am planning on changing out my oil this spring. I have been using Schaeffer's 5W-50, would you be interested in receiving a sample from me? I would not send it in for analysis myself, but I would be more than happy to send you a sample, if you wanted it tested.

I personally don't send in other peoples samples, they are sent in by the owners themselves. I can give you the link to pick up a testing kit to see how well your engine is wearing in.

UOA testing kit

Just in case you change you mind. If you decide to do it, as you have seen me post in this thread for other members, I will analyze your report for you.

Troy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread