Official NHL 2015-16 season thread

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
It's tough to gauge what the player truly is. The commentators blow every player who is drafted so you can't go by what they say. I've seen a little of McAvoy play because we get a lot of BU games televised in this area. The Bruins desperately need D help, but something tells me this guy isn't going to be NHL ready this season. The Bruins D core is bad. The Bruins always draft Dmen and at some point they need to start panning out.

I was glad to see Detroit get rid of Datsyuk's contract. It's too bad he couldn't be honorable and live up to his contract that he agreed to. I hate when players do that to teams and the team gets stuck with the cap hit. It's one thing when it's injury like with Savard and Pronger, but to just quit on your team is unprofessional.

Last edited:

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Just saw this.
Hope they don't hold it against him:

Screen-Shot-2016-06-24-at-9.33.17-PM.png

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Anyone watching the draft?
Calgary acquired Matthew Tkachuk (LW) with there 6th pick, and we also made a trade with St. Louis for goalie Brian Elliot.
Really excited about Tkachuk! :rockon:

Bruins fans, are you happy with your new defensemen Charlie McAvoy?
I thought Boston was going to grab Logan Stanley, 6'7" 225 lb (D) as a replacement for the aging Chara.

I watched up until the Bruins made their first pick. Even though he's from BU and I watched a couple of their games I don't know him so I have no opinion.

Nice trade Calgary made for Brian Elliott.

I love Andrew Shaw going to Montreal. One of those players you love to hate and who do we hate more than the Canadiens.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Nice trade Calgary made for Brian Elliott.

I was really excited to hear about this.
Finally we have a real goalie, although I kinda remember saying the same thing about Hiller, and that turned out to be a total disaster.

I really think goal tending was a big part of our downfall this last season.
You can't let in 4+ soft goals every night, and expect to win games, no matter how talented your offense is. :nonono:

mysterio

Established Member
The Charlie McAvoy pick isn't too shocking, and I'm glad Boston is looking in their own backyard, so to speak, and realizing their huge need on D.

Speaking of their need on D, rumors were flying last night on Twitter of Shattenkirk to the B's, but St. Louis wanted that #14 pick, and supposedly wouldn't budge w/o getting it.

Who knows how much truth is in these rumors. I just hope Neely and Sweeney realize their D corp is going to be absolutely dreadful next season if they don't do something more.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
If someone told me Chychrun would fall that far last year, I would of never believed them.

Not saying it wasn't warranted, but he was once projected as a top 3 pick.

Think it was smart of Boston to go with McAvoy. Think too many teams try for the next Chara (6'6+ defenseman) only to realize it takes years for defensemen that tall to develop/adapt to the speed of the NHL, if at all.

Hell, it took Chara years to become the player he once was.

I figured the Blues wanted the 14th pick. Can't say I blame them.

Yandle and Gogo are off the market. Someone like Demers will be paid well in 5 days.

mysterio

Established Member
PK Subban to the Preds for Shea Weber? Wtf were the Preds thinking? Weber is a head and shoulders better d-man than Subban all around, IMO. Weird. :nonono:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
PK Subban to the Preds for Shea Weber? Wtf were the Preds thinking? Weber is a head and shoulders better d-man than Subban all around, IMO. Weird. :nonono:

I would prefer Weber too but pretty interesting deal. I've always liked Weber so I hate to see him in a Canadiens uniform.

How about the Devils landing Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson. Who? Seems like a steal for NJ.

Stamkos staying in Tampa so there goes that drama.

mysterio

Established Member
Preds fans on Twitter are happy about the move. Habs fans -- not so much, lol.

Meanwhile, Steve, look for Sweeney to sign some non-entity d-man and lose Erikson for nada.

Edit: Oilers need a d-man almost as much as Boston does. Either that, or Chia pet is a loon....which is always a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
Bruins sign Krug to 4 years, and buy out Seidenburg by putting him on waivers. Good moves. Seidenburg is at the end of the line, and if he moved any slower, he'd be Chara.

mysterio

Established Member
Eriksson to Vancouver

Bruins fans had a pretty good idea he would leave, as he had plenty of offers from Boston before FA kicked in today. Meanwhile, reports are that the Bruins are getting David Backes, so Erikkson might not be that big of a loss.

Also, Lucic to Edm for 7 years kind of sort of makes some kind of sense, as both he and his wife are from western Canada. But for 42 mil$, I think Chia over-paid and made it too long, IMO.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Bruins fans had a pretty good idea he would leave, as he had plenty of offers from Boston before FA kicked in today. Meanwhile, reports are that the Bruins are getting David Backes, so Erikkson might not be that big of a loss.

Also, Lucic to Edm for 7 years kind of sort of makes some kind of sense, as both he and his wife are from western Canada. But for 42 mil$, I think Chia over-paid and made it too long, IMO.

Backes 5 years for 6 million a year. We can only hope Backes takes after Jagr and Iginla when he gets older. Edmonton must want Chiarelli's head after this week. Trading Hall and then signing Lucic to a ridiculous contract he's never earned. You don't pay 6 million per year for a 3rd line wing like Lucic. Better them than Boston. Ericsson gone to Vancouver and Connolly to the Capitals. Not going to miss either one of them. Don't like the Krug deal, too much money for a 5th or 6th Dman.

Stamkos and Hedman staying in Tampa. Can't say I'm surprised. Cap will be going up with the Las Vegas team and they need to sign Bishop and possibly Drouin if he turns into something. Don't get the Weber/Subban trade from Montreal viewpoint. Weber is going to be like Chara in a few years if not sooner.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I like the Backes signing. He's exactly the type of player the Bruins lack. Plays with passion and though not a big goal scorer, he gets his share. My favorite move though is sending Seidenberg packing. It was painful watching him play the last couple years.
Gotta think there's still a trade coming. Sweeney isn't even close to addressing the teams needs. I know those needs are mostly on D but I would have loved to see the B's land Taylor Hall seeing what little NJ gave up to get him.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I'm already getting antsy waiting for this NHL season to get started.
Really excited to see what this team (Flames) can do with our off-season additions.
Anyone else in withdrawal?

I was going to buy tickets to the season opener against the Oilers, but everything minus the nose bleeds is already sold out.

Users who are viewing this thread