Official 2023 College Football Season thread

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It's pretty simple why FSU got screwed. There's no way the committee wasn't putting the SEC champ in. They'd rather take flack from the ACC and FSU than Bama and the SEC. But they couldn't take Bama without Texas, so that left FSU on the outside looking in. They can easily justify it because they have stated their goal is to "select the 4 best teams" for the final 4. Sometimes there's a difference between who deserves it and who is the best. FSU deserves to be in it, but are they better than any of the 4 that did make it? I highly doubt it. I think they'd get beaten soundly by any of them. If I had a vote I'd vote for them because I think they deserve it, but I don't so...

Also never forget the most important thing is money and ratings.

VegasMichael

Established Member
It's pretty simple why FSU got screwed. There's no way the committee wasn't putting the SEC champ in. They'd rather take flack from the ACC and FSU than Bama and the SEC. But they couldn't take Bama without Texas, so that left FSU on the outside looking in. They can easily justify it because they have stated their goal is to "select the 4 best teams" for the final 4. Sometimes there's a difference between who deserves it and who is the best. FSU deserves to be in it, but are they better than any of the 4 that did make it? I highly doubt it. I think they'd get beaten soundly by any of them. If I had a vote I'd vote for them because I think they deserve it, but I don't so...

The committee has to follow the guiding principles for the CFP choices too. FSU's starting QB being injured was definitely a factor, as was schedule strength.

"The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering: Conference championships won, Strength of schedule, Head‐to‐head competition, Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and, Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance."

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Man....you dudes ain't right...:ROFLMAO:
Always Sunny GIF

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

This. Their schedule played a roll in this, and their current 3rd string situation. Their situation earlier was better just like Bama's situation was worse earlier. I can see both sides of the fence here. But if you reversed who made it and who didn't they would be quiet and Bama or anyone else would be bitching. I expected FSU to make it being undefeated even though they were not the better team currently. But I'm also not going to argue my team got in, nor would anyone else.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The committee has to follow the guiding principles for the CFP choices too. FSU's starting QB being injured was definitely a factor, as was schedule strength.

"The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering: Conference championships won, Strength of schedule, Head‐to‐head competition, Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and, Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance."

I'm aware, that's their "best team" criteria. It's not FSU's fault that Clemson isn't that good this year and Florida sucks. They did schedule LSU in their non-conference so they at least tried to bolster their schedule.

Here's my question that makes me think it was all about putting Bama in regardless. If Georgia wins that game, does FSU still get left out? You'd have UM, UW, UGA, who gets the last spot? FSU was ranked #4 and Texas was #7 going into the conference championship games. FSU beats #14 and Texas beats #18. Do they leapfrog from #7 to #4 then? Or was it just because Bama was going so they had to put Texas in as well?

I bet FSU would've gotten in if Georgia had won.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm aware, that's their "best team" criteria. It's not FSU's fault that Clemson isn't that good this year and Florida sucks. They did schedule LSU in their non-conference so they at least tried to bolster their schedule.

Here's my question that makes me think it was all about putting Bama in regardless. If Georgia wins that game, does FSU still get left out? You'd have UM, UW, UGA, who gets the last spot? FSU was ranked #4 and Texas was #7 going into the conference championship games. FSU beats #14 and Texas beats #18. Do they leapfrog from #7 to #4 then? Or was it just because Bama was going so they had to put Texas in as well?

I bet FSU would've gotten in if Georgia had won.
100% Ga being #1 losing to #8 was the catapult for Bama, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread