Official 2023 College Football Season thread

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard there were mass suicides happening in Columbus Ohio last night.......

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
He realizes he can’t compete anymore when the good players can go other places and make more money. He isn’t stupid.
Last few years have been slow....wish he had finished on top, sure he tried. Did great things at Alabama over the years, no one can say otherwise.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
For as long as I can remember people complained about the NCAA and how they had too many rules against players transferring and accepting money. Now that those rules have been relaxed people are complaining how the transfer portals and NIL are ruining the game.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
For as long as I can remember people complained about the NCAA and how they had too many rules against players transferring and accepting money. Now that those rules have been relaxed people are complaining how the transfer portals and NIL are ruining the game.
Yes and no. I always envisioned player compensation as a stipend that would be equal across the board to all team members not a free agent marketplace where players are going to the highest bidder. It ruined the whole sense of school pride and loyalty imo.
The portal is similar. While well intentioned, the free use of it in combination with NIL “bidding” made it a free for all. There should be some common sense rules but I understand there are a lot of nuances that are difficult to attach hard guidelines to(coach changes, playing time, recruiting better players, etc.).
The one thing about the previous system is it forced players to make a conscious decision and then live with their actions for better or worse.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

relaxed? they're basically non-existent on the payment. Now the powerhouse schools can spend with impunity and good luck to the rest catching up. Who needs scholarship spots anymore either, they can all just get paid. The only way up for those schools will be by finding the diamond in the rough/under rated kids and making it work.

I dunno what the answer is but there should, if nothing else, be some kind of transparency.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Yes and no. I always envisioned player compensation as a stipend that would be equal across the board to all team members not a free agent marketplace where players are going to the highest bidder. It ruined the whole sense of school pride and loyalty imo.
The portal is similar. While well intentioned, the free use of it in combination with NIL “bidding” made it a free for all. There should be some common sense rules but I understand there are a lot of nuances that are difficult to attach hard guidelines to(coach changes, playing time, recruiting better players, etc.).
The one thing about the previous system is it forced players to make a conscious decision and then live with their actions for better or worse.
My argument is that some players on the team do more work than others because they are starters whereas many on the team see very little time and are on the sidelines. Some argue that a free education is stipend enough. I used to be in that mindset but have backed off on that. I also feel for the walk-ons or partial scholarship guys who have to shell out money for tuition/room/board but not everyone can be as good as others and it's a tough pill to swallow but it's life.

I'm also not one who thinks NIL should be equitable and that everyone gets a trophy and a lollypop. There's a lot more pressure on starters than on on-starters. At the same time, some players are going to be more marketable than others not only due to their playing time but also their ability to market themselves because they might be very personable and just flat out better than almost everyone else.

It's not fair that quarterbacks and running backs and wide receivers get all the attention and most of the attention/money but they are, more times than not, the star attraction.

There's no perfect system for this, I'm afraid.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think college athletes should get paid by revenue created by likeness; that's it.

If I play at Ole Miss and wear number 10....that year #10 Ole Miss jerseys total $7.1 mil in revenue, I should get a chunk of that.

Users who are viewing this thread