Official 2018 Formula 1 thread

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
He seemed a lot more patient yesterday than he has been lately. I don't think they had the car they needed though.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
As I have stated very clearly in this thread, I am no Hamilton fan. I don’t like his brand of racing and I’m not big on his attitude. But after the weekend in he had in Singapore, I think he all but locked up championship #5. And surprisingly, for the first time ever, I don’t have a problem with that. I have maintained that if it wasn’t for the fact he has had by far the best cars, almost every championship season (and Glock’s help in ‘08) that he wouldn’t look nearly as good as he does. But this weekend, he went in with the second (possibly 3rd best car depending on what you think of RBR’s potential) and completely dominated. His Q3 lap to take pole was possible one of the most impressive laps I’ve ever watched. MB went into the weekend not expecting much and HAM single handedly pulled them to the top step. I maintain my opinions about him as a person, but his racecraft is completely dialed in. Respect.

Coiled03

Established Member
As I have stated very clearly in this thread, I am no Hamilton fan. I don’t like his brand of racing and I’m not big on his attitude. But after the weekend in he had in Singapore, I think he all but locked up championship #5. And surprisingly, for the first time ever, I don’t have a problem with that. I have maintained that if it wasn’t for the fact he has had by far the best cars, almost every championship season (and Glock’s help in ‘08) that he wouldn’t look nearly as good as he does. But this weekend, he went in with the second (possibly 3rd best car depending on what you think of RBR’s potential) and completely dominated. His Q3 lap to take pole was possible one of the most impressive laps I’ve ever watched. MB went into the weekend not expecting much and HAM single handedly pulled them to the top step. I maintain my opinions about him as a person, but his racecraft is completely dialed in. Respect.

Nah. No respect for Hamilton.

The fact that he'll now be mentioned in the same breath as Fangio grinds my gears something fierce, especially considering he deserves precisely zero of the 5 he'll soon have. Maybe I'll gain some respect for his racecraft if he ever resurrects a legendary marquee from the ashes like Schumacher did, and wins a few titles with them. Until then, he can piss off.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Nah. No respect for Hamilton.

The fact that he'll now be mentioned in the same breath as Fangio grinds my gears something fierce, especially considering he deserves precisely zero of the 5 he'll soon have. Maybe I'll gain some respect for his racecraft if he ever resurrects a legendary marquee from the ashes like Schumacher did, and wins a few titles with them. Until then, he can piss off.
I completely agree for his other 4 championships. But this one is different. He hasn't had the best car. He leads this championship due to driving skill, patience, and a level head. I still hope that Seb figures out a way to pull this out, and I hate to admit it, but IMO, if Lewis wins it, he deserves this one.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Well, that's it. 0% chance Vettel comes back from that. Bottas got hosed. MB has been so completely dominant since the break, there is no reason he and Hamilton didn't switch back on the last turn. And then Lewis tries to hand him the 1st place trophy on the podium. Reeks of Schumacher/Barrichello. Put a dark cloud over an overall exciting race.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I love F1... This season is a complete let down

Bring back Schumi, Todt, Brawn's.. These guys would've secured this years championship.

Pitwall strategy this year is MOSTLY to blame.. Minus Vettel's crash in Germany when leading... Just so Pissed off!!

Coiled03

Established Member
Did any of you guys happen to catch the movie Born Racer, about Scott Dixon? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Sebastian lost it in Germany.
Hamilton won it in Singapore.

Congrats to Max. He’s really maturing. There’s hope for him yet.

I was against Ricciardo’s move to Renault but now it can’t happen soon enough.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm genuinely excited for Leclerc to move to the red car. I liked him in the Sauber.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I'm genuinely excited for Leclerc to move to the red car. I liked him in the Sauber.
I agree. Honestly though, I think Ferrari missed out big time by letting Ricciardo slip through their fingers. They should have replaced Kimi with Ricciardo for next year, kept Leclerc in Sauber for one more year, and given Seb one more year to compete for the title. Then, in 2020, replaced Vettel with Leclerc. Ferrari would have a young, extremely strong duo with a RIC/LEC team.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I agree. Honestly though, I think Ferrari missed out big time by letting Ricciardo slip through their fingers. They should have replaced Kimi with Ricciardo for next year, kept Leclerc in Sauber for one more year, and given Seb one more year to compete for the title. Then, in 2020, replaced Vettel with Leclerc. Ferrari would have a young, extremely strong duo with a RIC/LEC team.
Vettel might still have some race left in him. But that is a good point, they could have sent Kimi to Sauber to replace Ericsson, let Leclerc get a little more seat time under Kimi and snapped up Danny.

Although I was hoping Mercedes would look to replace Bottas and Dan would have gone that way. If it wasn't for the reliability issues this year, Ric would have been soooo strong. And an aggressive driver in a Mercedes would be a lot of fun to watch Lewis slowly die inside.

Oh well, the teams sure got shaken up this year anyway lol.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Vettel might still have some race left in him. But that is a good point, they could have sent Kimi to Sauber to replace Ericsson, let Leclerc get a little more seat time under Kimi and snapped up Danny.

Although I was hoping Mercedes would look to replace Bottas and Dan would have gone that way. If it wasn't for the reliability issues this year, Ric would have been soooo strong. And an aggressive driver in a Mercedes would be a lot of fun to watch Lewis slowly die inside.

Oh well, the teams sure got shaken up this year anyway lol.
I think Merc would have signed Ocon before anyone else on the grid, including Danny. Hell, they might still drop Bottas for the Frenchman. Valtteri's spirit is broken after what should have been at least a 3-win season turned into a ZERO win season. He completely fell off after he got bumped for team orders.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think Merc would have signed Ocon before anyone else on the grid, including Danny. Hell, they might still drop Bottas for the Frenchman. Valtteri's spirit is broken after what should have been at least a 3-win season turned into a ZERO win season. He completely fell off after he got bumped for team orders.
Which was a pretty hefty case of absolute bullshit.

Lewis didn't need those points. They should have given the position back once they had their comfortable 1-2 but I'm sure that would have gone over really well for Lewis.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Last night I watched Ferrari race to immortality. It was released last year and focused on the mid 50's when I believe 36 drivers died within a 10year span. I was amazing with lots of actual footage. Highly recommend it!!

Now that F1 and Moto-Gp is done its officially hibernation time

Ciao til 2019

Users who are viewing this thread