Official 2017 NFL thread

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I don't really like to use the excuse of injuries, but we have been decimated by injuries this season. I think there is only 1 other team with more injuries than us. It is really showing in this ass-kicking we are getting.

That would probably be the Bungles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
What you're saying is true in theory but not according to the NFL. He never became a runner so your comparison doesn't make sense. A receiver going to the ground has to survive the ground regardless of the goal line. It's a bullshit rule, not a bullshit call.

it was called on the field as a TD. Per the guidelines for booth reviews in order to overturn a field call there has to be "conclusive" and/or "indisputable" evidence to reverse the original call. The replay evidence could easily be argued either way so by deductive logic there does not exist conclusive evidence.

Even the commentators called it a TD after watching the replay multiple times.

besides that, there were other phantom calls in the last 2 drives of the game that effected the outcome.

Branhammer

Established Member
If the receiver had established possession of the ball and then lost it after he crossed the plane then yes it would be a TD. Since he was going to the ground while making the catch he has to maintain possession throughout in order to establish possession. Since he did not do that the pass is incomplete. Crossing the plane was irrelevant. Sucks but that's the rule and has been for a long time.

What you're saying is true in theory but not according to the NFL. He never became a runner so your comparison doesn't make sense. A receiver going to the ground has to survive the ground regardless of the goal line. It's a bullshit rule, not a bullshit call.

Okay so that's what the rule says. I've read it multiple times now, so I'll concede to that. But yes, it's a bullshit rule and the fact that the Dez Bryant play wasn't enough to make those idiots change the rule is astounding to me. Some rules need to just be based on common sense. And by common sense rule, that shit was a TD.

That being said...

it was called on the field as a TD. Per the guidelines for booth reviews in order to overturn a field call there has to be "conclusive" and/or "indisputable" evidence to reverse the original call. The replay evidence could easily be argued either way so by deductive logic there does not exist conclusive evidence.

Even the commentators called it a TD after watching the replay multiple times.

besides that, there were other phantom calls in the last 2 drives of the game that effected the outcome.

THIS. STILL not a reversible call "by the rules."

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Watched the recap of that game. As expected, everything with a heart beat with the exception of the north eastern hemisphere knows that was a clear touchdown. Hellen keller is facepalming somewhere.

It really never fails, and you absolutely cant deny the sheer coincidents of patriots last drives play calling and shananigans that all seem to favor the pats in some way.

Ever since brady went on a rampage and tried to get Ed Hocholi (sp?) And his team fired, it appears the refs are soft for the pats.

In that way, the refs that officiate a pats game always remind me of Casey Anthony jurors. The call is so blatantly obvious theres no way you'd expect anything different. Then bam. There it is.

Hell, might as well get meuller from the FBI to officiate pats games, atleast then we'd expect it.

Win at all costs. Even dignity, or a legacy. You'll always be remembered for shenannigans.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

colin450

Established Member

I'm actually curious what these phantom calls were. Refs swallowed the whistles for the most part.

Watched the recap of that game. As expected, everything with a heart beat with the exception of the north eastern hemisphere knows that was a clear touchdown. Hellen keller is facepalming somewhere.

It really never fails, and you absolutely cant deny the sheer coincidents of patriots last drives play calling and shananigans that all seem to favor the pats in some way.

Ever since brady went on a rampage and tried to get Ed Hocholi (sp?) And his team fired, it appears the refs are soft for the pats.

In that way, the refs that officiate a pats game always remind me of Casey Anthony jurors. The call is so blatantly obvious theres no way you'd expect anything different. Then bam. There it is.

Hell, might as well get meuller from the FBI to officiate pats games, atleast then we'd expect it.

Win at all costs. Even dignity, or a legacy. You'll always be remembered for shenannigans.

You're sick.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Sorry haters, by rule it was the correct call. We see plays ruled a catch multiple times every week reversed for not maintaining control of the ball going to the ground and fans get pissed, but I understand the added outrage since it literally decided the outcome. And of course the Pats were the beneficiaries.

colin450

Established Member
Actually the funniest part of this whole thing is how STUPID Mike Tomlin is. He had the chance to ya know, run an actual play or KICK THE FIELD GOAL TO TIE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Okay so that's what the rule says. I've read it multiple times now, so I'll concede to that. But yes, it's a bullshit rule and the fact that the Dez Bryant play wasn't enough to make those idiots change the rule is astounding to me. Some rules need to just be based on common sense. And by common sense rule, that shit was a TD.

That being said...

THIS. STILL not a reversible call "by the rules."

How is it not a reversible call? You conceded that by the rule (albeit a shitty rule) it was not a catch. It was obvious on replay.

IMO this was a much easier call than the Dez play. In that one he took a couple of steps which to me established possession before he lunged. Not the case with the Steelers.

Branhammer

Established Member
How is it not a reversible call? You conceded that by the rule (albeit a shitty rule) it was not a catch. It was obvious on replay.

IMO this was a much easier call than the Dez play. In that one he took a couple of steps which to me established possession before he lunged. Not the case with the Steelers.

Because there's a point where you have to stop being a rulebook poindexter bean-counter and just use some common sense. The rule should've already been changed, and until it is, people have a right to be pissed about it. They need to look at the rule and ask "was this rule written by someone with common sense or by a total dipshit?" In this case it's the latter and it should've been changed years ago. It's complete bullshit. Again, I'll concede that the rule DOES say that, but I'm also saying it's a stupid rule that should just be ignored. So am I advocating pissing on the rule-book in favor of common sense? Yep. Is that possibly a ridiculous statement? Maybe. Do I give shit? Literally not a solitary shit given, no.

Someone needs to go over the rule book with a fine-tooth comb and any rule that is this stupid needs to have an asterisk next to it which means "at the referees discretion until we get our heads out of our asses and figure out how to simplify this."

It just needs to simply be a blanket rule for anyone with the ball in their hands: If you have the ball in your hands, with FULL CONTROL of the ball, you are not being touched by a defender, and that ball crosses the plane. It's a TD, period. I don't care about the ground. If That's non-sense. It's a TD.

If the ball was moving around in his hands at any point between him catching it and it crossing the plane, fine. Incomplete. But that's not what happened. That play should be a TD every time.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I'm actually curious what these phantom calls were. Refs swallowed the whistles for the most part.

On the steelers last 3rd quarter possession Roethisberger had just scrambled for a 1st down. On the very next play they come out in shotgun and Conner goes up the gut for 8yds. They called a phantom holding call and put the steelers in 1st and 20 then another 5yds false start which put them into 3rd and 20. They punt here giving the pats the ball back.

Pats have several incomplete passes but managed to gain 23yds on a pass interference call which gives them an easy field goal. At this point the odds have been evened and its a 1 possession game.

Then on the last pats TD drive Brady has several deep pass plays that steelers pass rushers were held but no penalty calls. Holding is said to be the penalty that happens on virtually every passing play but is not called unless it gives the trailing team better chances to catch up or negates a first down by the team in the lead. Funny how that works...

Its clear to me that certain penalties/elements late in the game are for the sole purpose of artificially making the game closer, maximizing the amount of suspense and entertainment value. The proof is in the pudding cause there have been increasing numbers of improbable 4th quarter comebacks and games decided by less than 1 score. It is not a coincidence, the numbers dont lie.

Pittsburgh had more total yards and possessed the ball by 10mins more than that pats and still managed to lose. Only difference in the game stats was the penalties which was 3 to 1 in favor of the patriots and the addition of a controversial late game booth review on a TD.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Because there's a point where you have to stop being a rulebook poindexter bean-counter and just use some common sense. The rule should've already been changed, and until it is, people have a right to be pissed about it. They need to look at the rule and ask "was this rule written by someone with common sense or by a total dipshit?" In this case it's the latter and it should've been changed years ago. It's complete bullshit. Again, I'll concede that the rule DOES say that, but I'm also saying it's a stupid rule that should just be ignored. So am I advocating pissing on the rule-book in favor of common sense? Yep. Is that possibly a ridiculous statement? Maybe. Do I give shit? Literally not a solitary shit given, no.

Someone needs to go over the rule book with a fine-tooth comb and any rule that is this stupid needs to have an asterisk next to it which means "at the referees discretion until we get our heads out of our asses and figure out how to simplify this."

It just needs to simply be a blanket rule for anyone with the ball in their hands: If you have the ball in your hands, with FULL CONTROL of the ball, you are not being touched by a defender, and that ball crosses the plane. It's a TD, period. I don't care about the ground. If That's non-sense. It's a TD.

If the ball was moving around in his hands at any point between him catching it and it crossing the plane, fine. Incomplete. But that's not what happened. That play should be a TD every time.

That's all fine, but until they do use common sense the correct call was made. They have to be consistent one way or the other and officials have been consistent with these calls.

I'm sure the rule will be looked at this off season because the Patriots benefited, just like all the crying over the tuck rule got that eliminated.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Football used to be so much more enjoyable. I miss the good ol days. Before 2001. I dont remember things back then like we have today. Every year i grow less interested in the entire sport. The extremely bad officiating. The byasness. The ridiculous rules. The crying. The politics. Just wish footbal could go back to old school football.

Branhammer

Established Member
That's all fine, but until they do use common sense the correct call was made. They have to be consistent one way or the other and officials have been consistent with these calls.

I'm sure the rule will be looked at this off season because the Patriots benefited, just like all the crying over the tuck rule got that eliminated.

Yep. Understandable. And I'm literally sitting here being totally irrational about it and I know that. But the rule isn't rational, so I'm not going to be either. When stupid shit stops happening that ruins entire games, I'll start being rational again.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

No one is saying it's a good rule. It's a dumb rule. But by rule the right call was made. And I don't want anything left up to the ref's discretion. They're incompetent enough as it is, I don't trust them enough to call that shit fairly.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Steelers no TD call was the right one. Raiders call had to be a heartbreaker for Carr. He should have just went out of bounds. That dude that pushed him out had some serious closing speed.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Dont even act like this aint true.
e898ada06cb47d7c64b52ce823cc61fb.jpg

Rare40th

Established Member
How soon you forget the same non-catch call happened to Gronk in Denver this year.

The way that game went/was already going, I don't think that one call mattered lol. Regardless, the call was correct as no catch. But people will continue to cry foul, especially against the Pats. The playoffs this year are gonna be so much fun between the Pats, Pit and Jags

colin450

Established Member
The Patriots losing to the Jaguars in the playoffs is a terrifying thought.

Users who are viewing this thread