Official 2016-17 NHL thread

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Great game by the Flames last night blanking the Leafs 3-0!
I can't believe we are only 2 points away from 2nd place in our division, and 5 points from 1st!
Really shows you just how weak the Pacific division is this year.

Chad Johnson is really starting to get his groove on in net, while Elliot continues to struggle.
I don't know what it is with this team, but we sign these all-star goalies:
Cujo, Hiller and now Elliott, and they always end up getting benched, and surpassed by our backup goalie.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I'm really looking forward to tonight's Leafs vs. Canucks game on CBC (5pm MST).
I'm thinking it could get really nasty based on their last match-up.
eddie-griffin-popcorn.gif

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I'm really looking forward to tonight's Leafs vs. Canucks game on CBC (5pm MST).
I'm thinking it could get really nasty based on their last match-up.

I used to love that kind of anticipation but its rare now. Hopefully it lives up to its billing.

Bruins with a good road win today. Came out strong but seemed like they let up once they got the lead but hold on for the win.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
What a game tonight vs the Ducks!
Gaudreau's first game back from injury and he scores a goal on his first shift.
I think his return really motivated the team as they went on to hammer the Ducks 8-3!

mysterio

Established Member
I almost feel sorry for Luongo, who has nothing but bad luck in Boston.

Almost.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Did anyone see the hit on Larson in tonight's Canucks Devils game? I actually thought he was dead when he hit the ice. Really scary moment. Hopefully he's ok.

qualls22

Established Member
I don't know what this feeling is. What's this thing called winning? Never seen the CBJ like this ever before!

mysterio

Established Member
Did anyone see the hit on Larson in tonight's Canucks Devils game? I actually thought he was dead when he hit the ice. Really scary moment. Hopefully he's ok.

All the talking heads on NHL radio are talking about it this morning, so thanks to YouTube, it's one of the top things that comes up when you type in Taylor Hall.

Here it is, in case you guys don't know what Zak is referencing:

Looked like a Scott Stevens type of hit; not sure that it was dirty or a head shot. But what was equally scary was the scrum surrounding the out cold player, including skates right around his head.

Hope it's not serious. But guys trying to come to his aid, or take their pound of flesh could have done even more damage.

mysterio

Established Member
I don't know what this feeling is. What's this thing called winning? Never seen the CBJ like this ever before!

And just think, a year or so ago weren't you saying that Torts wasn't the guy to lead the team out of the basement? Winning just has a way of solving many problems, doesn't it? :D

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
All the talking heads on NHL radio are talking about it this morning, so thanks to YouTube, it's one of the top things that comes up when you type in Taylor Hall.

Here it is, in case you guys don't know what Zak is referencing:

Looked like a Scott Stevens type of hit; not sure that it was dirty or a head shot. But what was equally scary was the scrum surrounding the out cold player, including skates right around his head.

Hope it's not serious. But guys trying to come to his aid, or take their pound of flesh could have done even more damage.

I don't see any discipline coming from the league for this hit or a least I don't think there should be. I think Hall could have really leaned into that hit even more than he did. The camera angle from behind Hall even looked like he pulled back a bit. I don't see any malicious intent here.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Really happy with the Flames as of late (7-2-1) in their last 10 games.
They have moved themselves from 30th (last place) in the league to 12th in just a few weeks time.

They have also been great on the road, and are currently 2nd place in the Pacific tied with Edmonton for 32 points.

The post-season looked like a fantasy just a month ago, but they seem to have their mojo back now. :D

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Can you believe it? Did the Bruins really beat the Canadiens? Looked like it was going to be the typical scenerio when the Bruins have a 1 goal lead Montreal ties it with a late goal, which all played out perfectly but this time the Bruins score twice in overtime for the win. That's right, you have to score twice in OT when playing in Montreal, but they did it.

mysterio

Established Member
That's right, you have to score twice in OT when playing in Montreal, but they did it.

So much truth that it hurts.

Steve, I wasn't able to watch the game, but my buddy did and told me that when the first Bruins OT goal was taken away, he could read CJ's lips, who said to the ref: "every f'ing time we play in this building this f'ing BS happens." Or something close to that.

If true, good for him for saying that.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
So much truth that it hurts.

Steve, I wasn't able to watch the game, but my buddy did and told me that when the first Bruins OT goal was taken away, he could read CJ's lips, who said to the ref: "every f'ing time we play in this building this f'ing BS happens." Or something close to that.

If true, good for him for saying that.

Its true about Montreal but in all honesty it was the right call. Whether Pastrnak was hooked or not Carey Price was taken out and not able to play his position. Believe it or not the game winning goal could have also been called back on an off side but they deemed it inconclusive.

qualls22

Established Member
And just think, a year or so ago weren't you saying that Torts wasn't the guy to lead the team out of the basement? Winning just has a way of solving many problems, doesn't it? :D
I don't recall that at all! Haha jk I was a stickler about it and wasn't a fan but maybe my mind has changed!

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Bruins really can't catch a break. Fight back from 0-3 against the hottest team in the league only to have Rask, who has been really good this year, give up a bad goal.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I know I was one of the few who watched the world cup, but I miss team north america. They were a lot of fun to watch. This unspoken fighting ban in the NHL is getting old too. The NHL wants to get rid of it fighting, but they do nothing to curb cheap shots. Seems like more Gary Bettman BS.

Anyone who watched the Bruins Blue Jackets game saw the refs stopping a fight before it started. Also tonight McQuaid got an instigator for some reason while in a quasi fight because refs got in the middle of it again. I hope a ref gets knocked out. Serves them right for getting in the middle of something the don't need to.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I know I was one of the few who watched the world cup, but I miss team north america. They were a lot of fun to watch. This unspoken fighting ban in the NHL is getting old too. The NHL wants to get rid of it fighting, but they do nothing to curb cheap shots. Seems like more Gary Bettman BS.

Anyone who watched the Bruins Blue Jackets game saw the refs stopping a fight before it started. Also tonight McQuaid got an instigator for some reason while in a quasi fight because refs got in the middle of it again. I hope a ref gets knocked out. Serves them right for getting in the middle of something the don't need to.

I hate to say this as a life long fan but I've just about had it with the NHL. I can't stand what hockey is turning into. The one in Columbus pissed me off but this one in Buffalo was just unbelievable. They had already started throwing punches and the linesman try to break it up mid fight? Meanwhile McQuaid is being held by one linesman and Carrier is able to keep throwing punches and McQuaid can do nothing to defend himself. Is this what the league considers player safety?
If they just let them go its over and done with, end of story. Now there is still a score to settle.

Anyway, I lost my satellite signal early in the second period with the Bruins down 2-1. Good to see they came back and won.

Users who are viewing this thread