OFFICAL: HEDGHOG F1A Build Thread!!

Ukfox89

Established Member
well ladies and gentleman, the time of year has to come where weather is getting bad, so the car is locked up and up on jack stands. the build is officially under way. Plans for the car may not seem as crazy as some of the builds on here, but its pretty exciting for me.

Well plans for the car are as follows:
F1A Race Kit Cog Drive
88 Tooth upper, 42 tooth lower
Polished Procharger hat, staying Air to Water right now.
Fore 1400HP return fuel system
80lb injectors
E85 tune and pump gas 91 for daily driving.
Yes...im keeping the 6 spd and that has a brand new clutch. rest of the car is getting the minor details it needs for the new additions. anyway, on to the pics.

This is the car that's going under...
IMG_2752_zpsa1601828.jpg

Procharger polished by yours truly
IMG_2731_zps4fb7fa22.jpg

rest of the kit, polished hat, polished custom intake, brackets and all the rest...
IMG_2707_zps44d92d82.jpg

IMG_2719_zpsd32027d7.jpg

IMG_2708_zps35925362.jpg

Started Tearing down the engine sunday night...so far so good, have most the front mount stuff removed. including the power steering oil lines, engine coolant lines, all the intercooler lines, and the alternator.
IMG_2756_zps4befa4a9.jpg

This is the power steerin gline you remove. I was concerned because I thought it was going to be high pressure and have a special hose made, but luckey its regular soft line. so relocating will be easy.
IMG_2759_zps8397820a.jpg

IMG_2757_zpsb94bd505.jpg

Removed the front Intercooler water adapter to make way for the new one that comes with the porcharger kit and to be able to remove the blower.
IMG_2760_zps9bd30b9c.jpg

And last thing that needs to come off is the lower crank pulley for the blower, as usual its being a pain in the ass. its extremely tight and bending the whole front of the crank, so im calling it a night tonight and will upload more progress tomorrow.
IMG_2762_zpsd7c735a0.jpg

Any input on the build is much appreciated, this is my first procharger, but not y first cobra. Im extremely excited and cant wait to get it finished, with that being said I plan to take my time and do it right the first time. Will be getting tuned in texas at either Gearheads or HPP, and new motor will most likely be coming middle of the new year. Enjoy and ill post more tomorrow....
Thanks Ben

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
if that pulley is anything like the lightnings you might wanna get a longer breaker bar and for the love of sweet baby jesus put some towels all over the place b/c when it lets loose no telling what is gonna happen to you or the breaker bar. when i did mine on my lightning i thought i broke the breaker bar and it slammed right into the fender box..luckily my figers where between the 2. outcome was i got the pulley off and i couldnt open a beer with my right hand for a few days.

Ukfox89

Established Member
if that pulley is anything like the lightnings you might wanna get a longer breaker bar and for the love of sweet baby jesus put some towels all over the place b/c when it lets loose no telling what is gonna happen to you or the breaker bar. when i did mine on my lightning i thought i broke the breaker bar and it slammed right into the fender box..luckily my figers where between the 2. outcome was i got the pulley off and i couldnt open a beer with my right hand for a few days.

haha well that might be a problem, cause after working of an evening I drink a few beers......
last time I did a lower pulley I was in a pit, and I now know how hard a concrete wall is. They are a pain, I have a bar off my jack, which is about 5 foot, but the fact the crank snout is bending in a weird direction is whats concerning me.

Blackedout

Established Member
88 lower and 42 upper... how much boost will that be ??? Let the fun begin.. :beer:

Ukfox89

Established Member
88 lower and 42 upper... how much boost will that be ??? Let the fun begin.. :beer:

well no one can really give me a straight answer, that's what happned to come with the kit I bought, its going to b around 25 psi if I was to bet, but some have said less, and some have said more.

Blackedout

Established Member
well no one can really give me a straight answer, that's what happned to come with the kit I bought, its going to b around 25 psi if I was to bet, but some have said less, and some have said more.

I would say more for sure... I run 88 lower and 44 upper = 25 with stock motor/heads... also agree 80's might not be enough..

Last edited:

Ukfox89

Established Member
stock manifolds too? I have longtubes so that may help a little. what exactly is your setup blackedout? I have been trying to find some people to ask some questions about on their cog kits, but not many people ehave f1a kits on their cars. could you shoo tme some pics of your coolant tanks setup and how you did your coolant lines. thanks Ben

Adiabatik

Banned
Im puzzled as to why not more 03/04 owners have gone this route. PD blowers has its limits, especially with a higher RPM monster like the 4V. A centri would shine on these motors. Centri FTW!

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Im puzzled as to why not more 03/04 owners have gone this route. PD blowers has its limits, especially with a higher RPM monster like the 4V. A centri would shine on these motors. Centri FTW!

The prochargers got bad reps after putting out good numbers but having horrible curves and running slow times. In all honesty I would recommend the op ditch the "hat" and run an 01 cobra intake with an a/a intercooler. The stock cobra lower intake with the hat has never performed very well at the track.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I agree with nightmare big time. The factory lower intake sports 2 inch runners. Those are way too short for anything other than a sport bike. Expect it to get into it's efficiency range around 5000rpms. People always blamed the blower for the lack of bottom end grunt, when in fact, it's the intake that is responsible.

Ukfox89

Established Member
I'm on the look out for a Sullivan setup. I looked into the cobra hats but for right now I'm trying to keep it simple and baby step into this. I'm new to the Prochargers, I have had nitrous cars, turbos and twin screws, but this is my first centri. I'll go air to air just for right now trying to get this part done and tuned and running and then make the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread