Off topic lt1 troubles.

Chipofsc

Established Member
I know this is a svt site but there is a lot of good machnics on here. Just did a head and cam swap on a 1970 z28. Solid lifter cam. Used assembly lube and did the 20 min at 2000 rPMs. Break in. After 20 miles this is the results. image.jpg

the only possible reason would be lifter bore maybe too tight. Everything looks good. Several other lifters were showing ware also.

Any other ideas.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, you said that "this is an SVT site". Larry moved it because you posted the thread in a Cobra specific sub-forum.

Chipofsc

Established Member
Sorry Im a newbe here
. Looked around to where to ask this question and didn't see the off topic area. Knew I would catch flack. Just for my own info where is the of topic area. Still can't find it.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry Im a newbe here
. Looked around to where to ask this question and didn't see the off topic area. Knew I would catch flack. Just for my own info where is the of topic area. Still can't find it.

if you look up top you can see it was moved to roadside pub, thats the offtopic area for the site

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Sorry Im a newbe here

Forum: Road Side Pub
Sit back, pull up a stool and grab a drink 'cause this is the place to sit and chat about most things under the sun.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Were those comp solid lifters? What cam and how do the lobes look? Imagine they are wiped out too. I think you probably are spot on with regard to being tight in the lifter bores not allowing enough movement. If you used a good moly|break in lube and had proper oiling, cannot imagine much else that would eat those lifters so fast. Did you check cam|lobe taper and lifter crown?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You've got way too much pressure on the lifters somewhere. Either clearance issues in the lifter bores as stated or the springs are way too heavy for the application. Did you set your lash to spec?

If your lifters look like that, I can guarantee you've got wiped lopes as well.

Speed Demon

Established Member
What kind of oil did you use? Ive seen that happen when not using a specific break in oil or a ZDDP additive. Most oils made now don't have the zincdiphosforus in them. I would think if it's a lifter bore issue it would have galling/score marks on the lifters. As others have said, if the lifter looks like that, the cam is probably trashed now too.

Chipofsc

Established Member
It was a comp cam. The lifters went in easy enough and the ones that were not destroyed came out easy also. We did use zinc break in oil and a lot of cam lube. I've installed cams many times and have never seen a lifter destroyed this bad. Cam and springs we purchased as a set from comp. we adjusted the valves twice on the stand before installing. I know they we right. We haven't pulled the cam yet due to we are removing the engine because of all the metal in the oil. We have to do a complete over haul now. I have talked to others that say they have seen this before and it was poor quality lifters. Waiting to hear what comp has to say. Still think it's the lifter bore. When we get it apart I will post results. Thanks for all your comments

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It was a comp cam. The lifters went in easy enough and the ones that were not destroyed came out easy also. We did use zinc break in oil and a lot of cam lube. I've installed cams many times and have never seen a lifter destroyed this bad. Cam and springs we purchased as a set from comp. we adjusted the valves twice on the stand before installing. I know they we right. We haven't pulled the cam yet due to we are removing the engine because of all the metal in the oil. We have to do a complete over haul now. I have talked to others that say they have seen this before and it was poor quality lifters. Waiting to hear what comp has to say. Still think it's the lifter bore. When we get it apart I will post results. Thanks for all your comments

yep and that where I was going when I asked if they were comp. They have had a lot of QC issues with lifters and cams for several years now. There is a definite issue with their hardening process, seen it with hydraulic rollers lifters, solid|tappet, their cam cores etc. I had a custom cam from them that sounded/wined like I had an F1X procharger in the car! Pulled it and could see no visible wear on lobes or journals, however I was not going to put it back in. I instead put in a Futral|Cam Motion custom grind and no more blower noise. Good call on yanking the motor, you are going to have a lot of iron floating around in her with all that lifter carnage. I would be interested to see how cam bearings, sizing and alignment checkout, just to rule out an oiling issue.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
yep and that where I was going when I asked if they were comp. They have had a lot of QC issues with lifters and cams for several years now. There is a definite issue with their hardening process, seen it with hydraulic rollers lifters, solid|tappet, their cam cores etc. I had a custom cam from them that sounded/wined like I had an F1X procharger in the car! Pulled it and could see no visible wear on lobes or journals, however I was not going to put it back in. I instead put in a Futral|Cam Motion custom grind and no more blower noise. Good call on yanking the motor, you are going to have a lot of iron floating around in her with all that lifter carnage. I would be interested to see how cam bearings, sizing and alignment checkout, just to rule out an oiling issue.

Unfortunately I've heard the same about Comp Cams quality lately. I haven't done a cam swap or used a comp cam myself, but the guys in the Pontiac scene have kind of shunned them in recent years. It's too bad too, because I'd really like to pick up an Old Faithful grind from SD Performance, but they are ground on Comp cores.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Unfortunately I've heard the same about Comp Cams quality lately. I haven't done a cam swap or used a comp cam myself, but the guys in the Pontiac scene have kind of shunned them in recent years. It's too bad too, because I'd really like to pick up an Old Faithful grind from SD Performance, but they are ground on Comp cores.

Definitely an unfortunate situation, for years I had used comp stuff with no trouble. The sad thing is comp does not appear to give a flying **** either. Instead they blame the hotrodder and/or shop. Quite a few vendors have started using cores from other cam companies as a result of Comp not standing behind them and fixing the issue.

cj428mach

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to my 428 cj twice with stockish type cams. The first time the engine builder put in a Comp hydraulic flat tappet cam and we broke it in for 20 mins as recommended. The car went back to the engine builder where he put another identical new Comp cam in the car. Then he broke it in, and by the time I drove it home the 35 miles the cam was flat. The car had 3.90 gears so keeping the RPM's up on the highway on the way home wasn't a problem lol.

After tearing it down I told him I want something besides a Comp Cam and he supplied me with a similar spec Crane cam that I installed myself. I broke it in the same way and its been fine for the last 15 years. I'll never own another Comp Flat tappet cam in my life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread